Stupid things people have said about your Porsche

Pauly

I think you might be winning him over there....B)

aahhhmmm what prey tell is a belly button car:huh:

Bellybutton cars.  Cars like a Commondore or a Falcon.  You know, everyone's got one.  Like a bellybutton.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pulling up at the traffic lights in a Porsche next to a 370Z, you are not going to look at the 370Z and wonder if you should have bought one, however reverse the position and you will always be wondering if you should have gotten the Porsche.  It's not brand snobbery, it's as you say the visceral and emotional engagement that the 370Z just doesn't quite give you.

Before Purchasing my 997 Carrera S I spend a Sunday Afternoon in a 08 R35 GTR Skyline deciding the weekend driver for me ,yes the GTR is very impressive , and seriously fast and does every thing you would expect of it at a very high level ..........But it just didn,t emotionally move me and lacked that substance that a 911 has ,I can live with out a GTR in my life and if I never drive one again it wouldn,t bother me ,,,,But I can,t go through life with out the 911 ,its put a smile on my face every time and is captivating to drive ,it just feels special and unique ,,the Nissan has none of that soul binding emotion ,,,It was just a Fast car and to be honest I felt I would have got,n board with it very quickly   

So which is the better car, the 370z or the Porsche?

The Porsche is easily twice the car.

Twice?

Easily

The zed is a good attempt at a sports car but lacks driver feedback. Porsche, you feel a part of the machine. 

Funny you mention this (apologies to any owners)

My missus who has no real interest in my 912, or Porsche in general really (she's a comedian bogan at heart who loves Monaro's, Mustangs etc with ACDC cranked) commented as we pulled up next to a 370z

'What kind of car is that?'

A 370z

'So it's a pretend Porsche yeah?'

Basically, yes

Says loudly in the car 'PRETENDER!'

:D

Before Purchasing my 997 Carrera S I spend a Sunday Afternoon in a 08 R35 GTR Skyline deciding the weekend driver for me ,yes the GTR is very impressive , and seriously fast and does every thing you would expect of it at a very high level ..........But it just didn,t emotionally move me and lacked that substance that a 911 has ,I can live with out a GTR in my life and if I never drive one again it wouldn,t bother me ,,,,But I can,t go through life with out the 911 ,its put a smile on my face every time and is captivating to drive ,it just feels special and unique ,,the Nissan has none of that soul binding emotion ,,,It was just a Fast car and to be honest I felt I would have got,n board with it very quickly   

I think this sums it up....

11b9a6d4-2473-4fa8-857f-00c6cf8252bd_zps

Actually, yes.  I couldn't wait to get my hands on the Datto 1600 that my father bought new in '68. 

But if your dad had bought both a 68, 911 or a Datto 510/1600 ...hmmm and your choice would be?????:blink:

Don't get me wrong Harvs, nobody loves Dattos more than I do.:wub:   I have had a datto or now a Nissan constantly in my life since 1971 up till now.

But I do know from the first time I ever knew what a Porsche was, I would always let out an audible  "YEESS"!!!!!!!!!:D

Ha ha I think I still do sometimes...the attraction still hasn't worn off.:)

And although they are/were the same company I reckon once the last "DATSUN" rolled off the production line, things started going down hill. :(

Oh and thanks for reminding me of how old I am I bought a brand spanking new 1600 in 1971.:o

But if your dad had bought both a 68, 911 or a Datto 510/1600 ...hmmm and your choice would be?????:blink:

Don't get me wrong Harvs, nobody loves Dattos more than I do.:wub:   I have had a datto or now a Nissan constantly in my life since 1971 up till now.

But I do know from the first time I ever knew what a Porsche was, I would always let out an audible  "YEESS"!!!!!!!!!:D

Ha ha I think I still do sometimes...the attraction still hasn't worn off.:)

And although they are/were the same company I reckon once the last "DATSUN" rolled off the production line, things started going down hill. :(

Oh and thanks for reminding me of how old I am I bought a brand spanking new 1600 in 1971.:o

The choice would be easy.  The 1600's ignition wires were just plugged in under the dash and it had no steering lock  :ph34r:

I had the same response on my first 911 drive. I immediately saw the light.  

I'd still have a Datto again though. They were huge fun to drive. Especially with a 180B SSS motor & 5 speed box transplanted in.  Another similarity of Porsche and Datsun/Nissan is just about everything was interchangeable.

I still loved the late 80's early 90's turbo Nissan era. So many choices, so many cheap fast fun cars (at least when they started filtering into Aus'). Kept me busy through my 20's ;)

I had a few Datsuns too , among others :)

A 1600  ( I came from a family with them as car of choice. early bar speedo and 3 dial models ) ,  180b SSS, and then at one point a Nissan Pulsar Vector SSS ( with a decompressed head and a  sprintex blower on it,  torque steer was a bitch !! )

Most of our Datto's had a 180b SSS box in them,  so I had no issue at all the first time I jumped into my now Porsche 914 for a test drive,  much to the amusement of the owner.

Everyone else that drove it got lost in the gearbox  ;)

I think this came up some years ago, but it is amazing how many of us started off in Datsuns/Nissans and of course Vee Dubs, but mainly Dattos.

i went the opposite.. didn't get into cars til later in life. started with 911 (you know.. back when AC stuff was affordable lol), then ended up with old datsuns/bmw's etc haha.

I had a few Datsuns too , among others :)

A 1600  ( I came from a family with them as car of choice. early bar speedo and 3 dial models ) ,  180b SSS, and then at one point a Nissan Pulsar Vector SSS ( with a decompressed head and a  sprintex blower on it,  torque steer was a bitch !! )

Most of our Datto's had a 180b SSS box in them,  so I had no issue at all the first time I jumped into my now Porsche 914 for a test drive,  much to the amusement of the owner.

Everyone else that drove it got lost in the gearbox  ;)

Same. I had a couple of 200B's and a 240K.  I learned to drive in the 1600 so a 915 box was no drama. I didn't understand what all the fuss was about.

• 3 months later...

Went to the shops today in the 911. When I got out of the car this smart arse bogun says "nice Volkswagen mate". Wow, that's original. So I replied with " nice lancer. If I sell my porsche I could buy 50 of them and build one good one". 

Went to the shops today in the 911. When I got out of the car this smart arse bogun says "nice Volkswagen mate". Wow, that's original. So I replied with " nice lancer. If I sell my porsche I could buy 50 of them and build one good one". 

You were kind Stew, giving him hope. A good one out of 50 is optimistic. 

Very kind.....my reply would have been a simple four word sentence, the first two offering advice on where he may want to go and the second two words starting with D. & H. 

My wife got home from work last Friday after i had picked up my 89 turbo walked into the garage and said , "it's the same as the other one", yes dear, she's not a car girl at all.

My wife got home from work last Friday after i had picked up my 89 turbo walked into the garage and said , "it's the same as the other one", yes dear, she's not a car girl at all.

It's red and has 4 wheels, so it is the same..... that is how you tell cars apart, colour :)

Archived