Polishing

MGS996TT

With the Sun finally shining it’s now polishing time. I am sure a lot of you have heard or use a RO for polishing. For those that have not...it’s very easy and safe to use.

I have recently purchased a new Festool unit (RO forced rotation). So I now have a spare unit (Mak BO6040) again forced rotation. Anyone wishing to borrow the BO6040 for a week no problem. Feel free to drop me a pm.

Here’s a sample of a friend’s Monaro I did a few years back. The owner was very fussy and kept the paint in good order....at least he thought he did.

Cheers, Mark

Monaro001.jpg

Monaro002.jpg

P1010001.jpg

WOW! :blink:

As an owner of a couple of black cars (one we won't be worrying about too much ;) ), sunshine is always a bit of a mixed blessing as I never seem to be able to get the paintwork to look even half decent after a substantial cut and polish.

The results above on the Monaro are fantastic - yes please, I'd love to borrow it over the next few months!

Cheers for your kind offer, you might have a line of people I suspect!

Kerry

Hi Mark,

I am with Kerry, the results look amazing. I was out giving my car its first polish last night in prep for the Fed Square display weekend after next and after our chat over coffee the other day you convinced me I need to get myself a machine. But now seeing that even more so!!

Cheers

C

Hi Mark,

I am with Kerry, the results look amazing. I was out giving my car its first polish last night in prep for the Fed Square display weekend after next and after our chat over coffee the other day you convinced me I need to get myself a machine. But now seeing that even more so!!

Cheers

C

Hi Chris,

On avg it takes about 12hr to get a Porsche polished and looking great.

1. Wash.

2. Clay the paint

3. Wash

4. Tape up rubbers & lights.

5. Menzerna PO203S (white SFX Pad)

6. Menzerna 106FF (red SPX Pad)

7. Sealant

8. Wax

The attached pic shows my original RO...Porter Cable out of the USA

Drop me a call if you want a hand during the week (after hours).

The RO is very easy to use....have lots of pads and polish, no probs.

Picture235.jpg

The Ruby Red always looked great on my recently sold M3.

P1010175-1.jpg

Hi mark,

That's really very kind of you, thanks.

I think you have a pretty big week in front of you so I don't want to impose but I may borrow the polisher from you if that is ok.

Will give you a call. Thanks also for the step by step process that's really helpful. Also pics of the M3 look great!

Cheers

C

• 8 years later...
On 21/10/2010 at 08:41, Kerry said:

WOW! :blink:

As an owner of a couple of black cars (one we won't be worrying about too much ;) ), sunshine is always a bit of a mixed blessing as I never seem to be able to get the paintwork to look even half decent after a substantial cut and polish.

The results above on the Monaro are fantastic - yes please, I'd love to borrow it over the next few months!

Cheers for your kind offer, you might have a line of people I suspect!

Kerry

Mate of mines Dad worked for a Funeral place, and when I got a black car he told me that they used ‘BAKING POWDER’ mixed with water into a paste to polish their cars, I tried it and it worked a treat.

Hi Mark I was looking into purchasing a Rupes Bigfoot polisher last year but it seemed to get the best job I really needed to buy at least two of different sizes (15 plus a small hybrid) resulting in nearly $2000.  For the amount of times I would use it I decided not to proceed.  Can you provide some advice on the units you have.

Phil I’m not sure you need to go down the rupes path. I’m about to paint correct my black SC next week.

i use a makita random orbital which cost me about $200. I dropped into car care products a few weeks ago to pick up some more menzerna product and a cutting pad.

Talked  through what I needed with the staff and if I should go down the rupes or similar path. Feedback was no, unless I am doing multiple cars per year. Apparently it’s about the throw on the machine and his advice was the right polish steps, pad and reasonable machine which I had should be fine. maybe drop into car care or wax it (or JB’s shop) in Melb with your car and have a chat. 

I will go through my steps and results in a seperate thread next week when I get started.

I agree with Tips, you probably don't need a Rupes or 2 unless you have money to burn, i have a Mint kit from car care products and i have done several cars all with great results using Menzerna compounds. There are all sorts of compounds and polishers out there and i am sure you will fully equip yourself for a few hundred collars.

12 hours ago, Dreamr said:

And the original post was 9 years ago ... :Chuckle2:

😂Ha that is funny.  I did not see the date.  I just saw the latest post from the guy with the baking powder suggestion (which I would not recommend) and thought Mark had just sent out the message to those who would like to borrow the old one.  Quite a laugh really.

And damn he was just up the road too for when I wanted to borrow the old polisher😪