Porsche Targa Tasmania Tour

mhh

I just got the info from Pamela.  There's some doubt about the optional last day to Hobart.  I was keen on that.  Was anyone else planning to do the extra day?

I was going to do the extra day but had a change of heart. I did the extra day last year but there is a lot of extra driving just for the day. If you finish on Saturday afternoon it's a short run up to the ferry. If you stay for the extra day you need to drive back down to Stahan, last year we ended up driving about 1 1/2 hours in the dark, this year it will be worse as it's a month later. The amount of wildlife on the roads at night is really scary, we had about 10 near misses & ended up slowing right down, it's like driving a slalom course with possums & wombats for markers. The queens town & Arrowsmith stages are really special but grass tree hill is disappointing for the last stage.Just my opinion of course.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want to get the most out of the event can I suggest buying a set of notes from someone like the Vandenburgs at Vandenburg Motorsport or Daniel Wilson at Rally Notes or Lawrie Pitt at Black Track Pace Notes.

Depending on whether you like 1 to 6 notes (Vandenburgs) or 1 to 10 notes Rally Notes and Blacktrack they are basically the same, some more detailed than others. We used to use the Vandenburgs for our Targa events then run recce a few times to tune them to our own level of detail though this would be unnecessary for the tour.

Even though you'll be running in a group you'll have a much better time driving the stages with someone reading the notes for you and it's always great practice in case you ever decide to run in the competitive section.

Of course if they don't allow you to use them please disregard everything I've written LOL. regardless hope you all have a fantastic time, for those who are doing any Targa event for the first time be prepared to have the best time in a car you've ever had and to get bitten by a bug that can become an obsession.

Cheers Al

I was going to do the extra day but had a change of heart. I did the extra day last year but there is a lot of extra driving just for the day. If you finish on Saturday afternoon it's a short run up to the ferry. If you stay for the extra day you need to drive back down to Stahan, last year we ended up driving about 1 1/2 hours in the dark, this year it will be worse as it's a month later. The amount of wildlife on the roads at night is really scary, we had about 10 near misses & ended up slowing right down, it's like driving a slalom course with possums & wombats for markers. The queens town & Arrowsmith stages are really special but grass tree hill is disappointing for the last stage.Just my opinion of course.

I've never done Targa but I drive the Strahan to Hobart road often and love Mt Arrowsmith and Tarraleah. My nav needs to get to Hobart for work the following week anyway, so I need to drive to Hobart whether we are "in stage" or not.  How come you were so late returning to Strahan on the Saturday?  Doesn't our group finish the stages early each day?  Was it the lunch that delayed the return?  Where was that?

Getting from Hobart back from the ferry, I usually go through Bothwell and Poatina.  That is a blinder of a road across the top.  Then over to Mole Creek via Deloraine for another crack at Cethana before the Moina-Wilmot-Forth road to the ferry.  I was there last week. No time this trip though.

DSC00191-31241.0.html.jpg

mhh,

Lunch doesn't finish untill 3.30-4ish on the Saturday. Arrowsmith is my favourite especially at 58k's, Tarrahleah is 8.99ks & Grasstree is 7.1ks. The last couple of years the P tour drives the stages before the comp cars & we are usually done by around lunch, I assume it will be the same this year hence the early starts mentioned in the newsletter.

Thanks Greg. My nav and I might have to slip away early from the lunch to return to Strahan before dark on Saturday.  If PCA don't run the Sunday 'extra day' (and it seems likely they won't), we will aim to beat the road closures by leaving Strahan at 6:30am and then head straight to Hobart.  The alternative is to wait until the road opens around 11:15am when there'll be a fair amount of traffic.

Changing the subject slightly, was there much in the way of police presence on the transport stages during last year's event, can you recall?  I'm law-abiding but it's still good to know what to expect.  ;)

Thanks Greg. My nav and I might have to slip away early from the lunch to return to Strahan before dark on Saturday.  If PCA don't run the Sunday 'extra day' (and it seems likely they won't), we will aim to beat the road closures by leaving Strahan at 6:30am and then head straight to Hobart.  The alternative is to wait until the road opens around 11:15am when there'll be a fair amount of traffic.

Changing the subject slightly, was there much in the way of police presence on the transport stages during last year's event, can you recall?  I'm law-abiding but it's still good to know what to expect.  ;)

Yes, lots of "presence" both obvious & not so obvious. I was breath tested 3 days in a row then missed a day then tested once more. Lots of radar & unmarked cars on the open road but not so many between stages, everyone seems to stick pretty close to the speed limit between stages anyway.

It seems the optional Sunday leg involves joining the Targa Tour group as Porsche don't have the personnel to run through to Hobart. (I blame Mother's Day for that.) That's fine by me but I might have a look at the Targa website to see who we'll have for company. 

Edit: Only one entry in this category?  We should be able to keep up...

http://www.targa.com.au/tc/entrylist.asp?event_id=3363&comp=Tour

It seems the optional Sunday leg involves joining the Targa Tour group as Porsche don't have the personnel to run through to Hobart. (I blame Mother's Day for that.) That's fine by me but I might have a look at the Targa website to see who we'll have for company. 

Edit: Only one entry in this category?  We should be able to keep up...

http://www.targa.com.au/tc/entrylist.asp?event_id=3363&comp=Tour

Not sure what happened this year with the Sunday, last year there were 3 of us plus the PCA cars, the tour group tagged onto the back of us but there 3 or 4 of them as well. Still worth the effort if you have the time as 2 of the stages are some of the best.

The choice is to leave at 6:30am before the road closure or join the Targa group (of hopefully more than one) which leaves at 7am.  The latter option might be better because at least the sweep car will find the black ice before we do.  :P

The choice is to leave at 6:30am before the road closure or join the Targa group (of hopefully more than one) which leaves at 7am.  The latter option might be better because at least the sweep car will find the black ice before we do.  :P

Mike, think I'd leave with the tour, if you miss a stage the roads will be closed to normal traffic & it will be the long way round.

• 2 weeks later...

What a great event! :)

+1, have to admit I turned it down big time in the rain on the last day, maybe a pussy effort but I finished. Great to meet you Mike.

Good to meet Tim & Kerri Anne, love that 996 of Tims.

+1, have to admit I turned it down big time in the rain on the last day, maybe a pussy effort but I finished. Great to meet you Mike.

Good to meet Tim & Kerri Anne, love that 996 of Tims.

Yep, what a great event!!  Already looking forward to the next one.

Thanks Greg, I liked your car too!

That trip was 10 out of 10 in every possible way. Driving, people, cars, dining, accommodation, scenery, and the organisation.

Yes, I was a little soft on the last day as well.  Pretty sure I was chasing you Mike on the last stage? 

So much fun!

Yep, what a great event!!  Already looking forward to the next one.

Thanks Greg, I liked your car too!

That trip was 10 out of 10 in every possible way. Driving, people, cars, dining, accommodation, scenery, and the organisation.

Yes, I was a little soft on the last day as well.  Pretty sure I was chasing you Mike on the last stage? 

So much fun!

All the soft people finished as opposed to some who did not! Rule 1, 2 & 3, you must finish, I'm not sure a $303,000 car in the forest as a write off is a finish.

Targa%20Tour%20Oopsie.jpg

it's technically a finish, right? :( :(

The car on its side is a 991 Carrera 4S with 7,000ks on the clock, he was in front of me. This was the last stage on the last day within the last kilometer for the Porsche tour.

Gosh thats awful Greg. Poor thing. Everyone ok?

Yes, both walked away without a scratch, said the whole inside was intact, glove box didnt fly open, centre console stayed closed, all airbags went off. We didnt see him go off, he went round the corner & then just wasnt there, there was an embankment they went down & we couldn't see them. Got to the end of the stage & realised they were MIA. There were 4 cars went off in the same spot so something on the road in a certan spot, the driver was a good steerer too.

Yes, there were 4 cars off within 200 mtrs of each other, all within about 2 hours. IMHO anyone who cut the corner got the bounce, those of us that were in 2wd & less aggressive went wider & missed whatever was in the cut. The AWDs pull a tighter line where the 2wds drift a little to the outside thankfully missing the sh#t.

With my first tarmac rally of the year next weekend, I'm wishing I hadn't seen that parking lot. That's terrible. I wonder how the insurance companies will react? Anyone got any cover for these events?

Archived