DIY Advise please - replacing my Alternator (75 Carrera)

Kerry

Hi All.

My alternator has packed it in on my '75 Carrera and I'm going to attempt the biggest mechanical task I've undertaken so far. :mellow:

I'm looking to make a purchase from Pelican Parts however my understanding is that there was a discrepancy between the 1974/75 cars that the US got, and those of the rest of the world - i.e.: Aust. The 74/75 cars heralded the new impact bumpers, but the Euro cars maintained certain older elements. I recently ordered a "care pack" from PP in order to replace oil/air filters etc. The oil filter was right, but the air filter was completely the wrong shape (rectangular not round). As the yanks didn't get MFI cars in '74/75, which mine is, I just wondered if anyone could confirm for me before I place my order that this is in fact the right alternator for my car? (PP have confirmed it is, but as they stuffed up on the air filter... <_< )

I've also ordered as you can see the 1975 specific pulley wrench, but again, the 74 version is different and I'm not 100% sure of this one either...

Hopefully there is someone out there who knows this stuff backwards, I'd be very appreciative of the sharing of knowledge...

Many thanks,

Kerry

Screenshot2014-04-18233029_zpsbc9a810b.p

PS Not sure how I'll use the transmission oil pump in the procedure, but I'll work out a way!  <_<  ;)  :D

Plus I'm not sure whether I need the pulley shim, but I figured it won't break the bank if I don't.

When my alternator packed it in I did some research and found that a lot of the Porsche guys from OS & Pelican Parts themselves actually buy them from Geoff Easton who builds upgraded versions specifically for our cars here in Brisbane.

I've PM'd you his contact details, I'd give him a call first before you order from Pelican as you might just be ordering his alternator anyway and he is a wealth of knowledge on this subject.

Cheers Al

gTzQ6CJ.jpg?1

VKdu5lc.jpg?1

Many thanks Chris, Al, Pauly and Stephen.

Al has given me a terrific contact with a local (Bris) guy who supplies PPs with exactly these alt's, so in the name of supporting local trade, not to mention cutting the carbon footprint, looks like I'll speak to him next week and set it up.

Hey, this new section actually works Pauly!!!  :o  :P  :D

Cheers Harvs, I had a certain auto electrician rebuild it, it lasted 6 months and then stopped working again... When I went back to said auto elec' , he had disappeared! Had the RACV battery man come and take a look and suggested it had shaat itself this time and was only good as a greasy paperweight. I think it looks original, so it's 40 next year... After 40 years I bet we both needed more than a couple of new bushes... So to speak! ;)

Auto elec's are hard to find. Especially good ones. I had brushes replaced a few years ago for about $40. Trouble was the bearings went into self-destruct mode last year and took out the rest of the innards with them. There was just enough juice in the battery to limp into Louie's workshop. He sorted it out with a brand new unit. That was a few more $$. :(

• 1 year later...

I need to rebuild my alternator as it only charges when the engine is cold. Does someone have contact details for Geoff Easton or does know someone in Melbourne who can fix my alternator without charging me the Porsche price tag.

Chevl I sent you a PM with Geoff's contact details.

Cheers Al 

I need to rebuild my alternator as it only charges when the engine is cold. Does someone have contact details for Geoff Easton or does know someone in Melbourne who can fix my alternator without charging me the Porsche price tag

• 5 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...