First Porsche: 997 Carrera vs Carrera S

Hi All

I have just joined this forum and so far it has been extremely helpful. Thank you.

However, no amount of reading can beat the real life experience, which leads to my quandary and my seeking your input.......

After many months of looking for my first Porsche, I still can't seem to find the perfect Carrera S. The old problem; what I can afford I don't like and what I do like, I can't afford.

Recently I have seen quite a few Carrera's (not the S) coming onto the market and was thinking about buying one. I have read the stat's etc but for around $70,000 I can get a very good, low km example (circa 2005 with 45,000km's). The closest Carrera S is $12,000 more and double the km's. So my question - is the difference between a Carrera S and Carrera huge? So much so that I should just wait for the perfect Carrera S?

I am looking for more performance wise feedback and the joys of driving compared to the creature comforts that may be optioned between the different models.

Please bear in mind this is my first Porsche and hopefully the stepping stone into the rarified world after 18 years of waiting......

I have driven both models but it has been at the sole dealer in WA and the 30 minute test drive is never enough to really experience the difference that comes with long term ownership.

The car's driven to date and to be purchased will be the hardtop Sports Automatic (sacriligeous to some but my wife also shares the dream of ownership and she can only drive automatic).

Thank you for reading this and for any input forthcoming.

Nishan

Nishan

Welcome aboard.

There is a theory that the best 911 of any era is a plain jane Carrera.

The theory goes that the add ons of the up spec cars just diminish the pure engineering of the basic Carrera.

I think it might just be right, if my Porsche drive days are any indication, even though I prefer Turbo 911's for road use.

In the end, they are all good, and you'll know the right car when you see it.

Tried a wanted ad in the West?

I can't comment, however Greg went from a 997.2 S model to a 991 non-S model and had to change to the S as he missed the power from memory.

Thanks nath.....I am hoping ignorance is bliss given I don't know the difference (....yet)

Nishan

Welcome aboard.

There is a theory that the best 911 of any era is a plain jane Carrera.

The theory goes that the add ons of the up spec cars just diminish the pure engineering of the basic Carrera.

I think it might just be right, if my Porsche drive days are any indication, even though I prefer Turbo 911's for road use.

In the end, they are all good, and you'll know the right car when you see it.

Tried a wanted ad in the West?

Thanks Simonoz.

A Turbo would be brilliant but I will wait for the Powerball prior to getting that.

Appreciate the suggestion about the ad in the West. I may try it in a few weeks if nothing comes up. For the moment I have expressed my interest at Chellingworth Porsche but given their loyalty is to the highest bidder (rightly so), a person with my budget is way down the pecking order.

Nissan,

I had a 2010 997 series 2 3.6ltr manual AWD, it was a great car & had plenty of power for day to day driving. The only time I was able to tell the difference between it & a 997 S was at the track & even then it was only on the straights that the S would start to pull away. I would happily buy another 997. When I traded up to a 991 3.4ltr I was disappointed in the lack of torque compared to the 997 3.6, this is when I went to the 991 3.8 S. IMHO don't discount the base 997, these are very solid cars. My suggestion would be get a base series 2 997 over a series 1 997 as the later cars have the DFI engine & no IMS bearing issue. Good luck with the search.

Nishan,

Having owned both a series 1 997 Carrera and a series 1 997 Carrera S  -  the differences are fairly minor. As standard models the S had extra standard equipment over the Carrera. Things like Bi-Xenon headlights, 19inch wheels, PASM, 4 exhaust tips as well as the larger engine and brakes.

Driven in normal road conditions the cars are very similar - they have different engine notes - the S is a little deeper - the track will reveal the additional 30HP - mainly in drive out of corners and at the top end on staights. Both are fantastic machines.

Unless you are chasing maximum performance - think I would be looking for the best individual car / option set within budget and go from there.

Hope this helps....

Michael

Nishan,

Having owned both a series 1 997 Carrera and a series 1 997 Carrera S  -  the differences are fairly minor. As standard models the S had extra standard equipment over the Carrera. Things like Bi-Xenon headlights, 19inch wheels, PASM, 4 exhaust tips as well as the larger engine and brakes.

Driven in normal road conditions the cars are very similar - they have different engine notes - the S is a little deeper - the track will reveal the additional 30HP - mainly in drive out of corners and at the top end on staights. Both are fantastic machines.

Unless you are chasing maximum performance - think I would be looking for the best individual car / option set within budget and go from there.

Hope this helps....

Michael

Thanks Michael. At times I wonder if I bought the Carrera purely based on price (and a dose of rationality), whether the little voice inside of me will always hanker for the S. You are correct though, I can take comfort in the fact I am starting off at a high base.....

Nissan,

I had a 2010 997 series 2 3.6ltr manual AWD, it was a great car & had plenty of power for day to day driving. The only time I was able to tell the difference between it & a 997 S was at the track & even then it was only on the straights that the S would start to pull away. I would happily buy another 997. When I traded up to a 991 3.4ltr I was disappointed in the lack of torque compared to the 997 3.6, this is when I went to the 991 3.8 S. IMHO don't discount the base 997, these are very solid cars. My suggestion would be get a base series 2 997 over a series 1 997 as the later cars have the DFI engine & no IMS bearing issue. Good luck with the search.

GC9911 Thanks for the feedback. I am wondering whether to wait (a long time) and buy a 997 Series 2 to avoid all the potential issues but the impulsive side of me wants one now!!! The worst is each time I see one on the road.....

I drove both back-to-back at the Mount Cotton Porsche thing over a weekend.

The S definitely had more character and mumbo when given the herbs. The S was also much more characterful than the 4S, for what that's worth.

At the end of the weekend, out of all the cars (GT3 excluded) the S was my favourite.

And my best memory? A crest that changed into a descending right hander that had the S rising off the tarmac and squirming with a touch o'opposite lock - but it was oh so manageable as we continued down into a tightening right hander. it even had the instructor laughing.

It was just joy.

If you are on the PFA forum and asking these questions, then you are not shopping for a salary sacrifice. You know what you really want. And since when was a Porsche purchase meant to be sensible?

Go the S and be damned.

Guest Harold

I also think part of the equation relates to what car you are driving now. If you get out of a 0-100 in 8+ seconds car then the base car is a rocket. I got out of a C63 and I found the acceleration of the 991S to be akin to what I was used to. It is all about what makes you tick and how you will use the car. Whatever you purchase, you will love the car.

I also think part of the equation relates to what car you are driving now. If you get out of a 0-100 in 8+ seconds car then the base car is a rocket. I got out of a C63 and I found the acceleration of the 991S to be akin to what I was used to. It is all about what makes you tick and how you will use the car. Whatever you purchase, you will love the car.

Thanks Harold. Coming from a STI V5 and a BMW 135 (prior to that an M3 before the Vanos blew), its a stepping stone - from raw speed to refined speed.

I guess if we all wanted to get from A to B the quickest, the Nissan GTR would be a no brainer - if I do get that oft mentioned Powerball, I certainly will add it to the stable (hope I did not blaspheme :( ). Overall though, as many would attest, its the journey and not the destination.......

• 2 weeks later...

I went for the Normal 997C2 vs the S because:

1. I live in Melbourne and the speed cameras everywhere will mean I'll 99% of the time never feel the difference
  2. S comes with active suspension..... well I am worried that on 10 year old cars the "Active" just mean will break for more $
  3. 19" rim = more $$ on tyre replacement
  4. The S is just like $10K more... out of my buy on cash budget.

However..... lately...

1. In the wet I on the power I get the tail sliding and I get a heap of axle hop... could be lack of LSD, could be bad bushes, could be PSM settings, suspension?..... I wish I had a sports button to press on the dash like the S. Does the S come with LSD?

Orion03 - Thanks for the point of view. You raise some very valid points.

I am not sure if the S does come with the LSD but like you state, will not be often where you would test that or the other features to the limit. Damm it - rationality and buying a car are such opposing forces!

Hi Nishan

If you're ever in Sydney, flick me an email via driveporsches.com.au & I'll happily give you some time in the 997S seat in return for a coffee.  I can only compare it to a 996 as I've not driven the 997 3.6 for any meaningful length of time. 

Gavin

Archived