996 suspention upgrades

raafrebel

Hi all,

Im just after some recomendations for upgrading the suspention on my 996. The car still has original shocks and springs and would like to buy new shocks and springs.

any suggestions as to what brand ? where to buy from?

Im looking for somthing thats more performance and wouldnt mind if they are adjustable.

Do Ohllins make suspention for these cars? i have Ohllins on a lot of my bikes and they are really good.

Im off to the USA in a couple weeks and might get some when im over there

Thanks for any help

Dan

Ohlins are awesome but not sure if they do porsche. KW or bilstein coilovers are the most popular. I run kW on my cars (not the porsche yet) and love them.

I have Gemballa coilovers fitted to mine which are excellent.

The Gemballa coilovers are manufactured by H&R and branded as Gemballa so I suspect getting the ones with H&R stickers will cost less.

Ohlins make a 996 Carrera set:

http://www.ohlinsusa.com/automotive-suspension-products/21/Porsche+996+Carrera

Thanks guys , in the mean time i also found a set at pelican parts. $3200 for Ohllins, think i will go with those. Cheap really, The rear shock on one of my ducaties is worth that much just for 1 !

they work great on my bike also.

Have you blokes upgraded? I bet it makes a huge difference to the way the car drives

I had the Bilstein PSS-9s on the 996 and set it to GT3 height - it drove like it was on rails, stiffened it up but I loved the ride. You can adjust the settings from soft to hard on the dial I ran mine a tad over the middle setting. For me its the best upgrade over the standard suspension I did to the car.

http://www.carnewal.com/products/P96/p96094-C2/PSS-10-Coil-Overs-For-P96-C2

I organised a group buy from carnewal on rennlist at the time I got mine they were brilliant to deal with.

Brands like bilstein & KW. Ask this guy for a quote!! He's easy to deal with. 

http://www.streettotrack.com/

I bought my turbos, housings ect from him. I couldn't find a better price than he gave me. This was the GTX turbo i got, Got it cheaper and quicker than anyone in Australia could get me.  He just quoted me $2900 delivered for KW v3.  $400 cheaper than anyone else. 

Brands like bilstein & KW. Ask this guy for a quote!! He's easy to deal with. 

http://www.streettotrack.com/

I bought my turbos, housings ect from him. I couldn't find a better price than he gave me. This was the GTX turbo i got, Got it cheaper and quicker than anyone in Australia could get me (mind you this was the time they just got released and 3 month waiting list!! 7 months for the next aus delivery!!!).  He just quoted me $2900 delivered for KW v3.  $400 cheaper than anyone else. 

• 2 years later...

Hi all,

Im just after some recomendations for upgrading the suspention on my 996. The car still has original shocks and springs and would like to buy new shocks and springs.

any suggestions as to what brand ? where to buy from?

Im looking for somthing thats more performance and wouldnt mind if they are adjustable.

Do Ohllins make suspention for these cars? i have Ohllins on a lot of my bikes and they are really good.

Im off to the USA in a couple weeks and might get some when im over there

Thanks for any help

Dan

Dan,

what did you end of going with for these?

I'm in the market myself for an upgrade. I spoke to BIlstein who suggested I should upgrade the shocks to B6's and use the existing springs.  

Anyone got thoughts on that??    I'd prefer coilovers where I can adjust the right height.   

thanks

Tim

i wouldnt mind knowing also, im looking at a good setup also but want to be able to lower the car a few inches. 

I'm currently having H&R coil-overs installed, went in yesterday...along with a few other bits and pieces.... will report back soon...

Subscribed.  I just put my money down on my first 911 - an early 996 Cabriolet.  Manual of course.

It's got stock suspension on it, but I've always had aftermarket suspension in my "fun" car.  I've been reading up on suspension upgrades for the 996 and am interested to hear what you guys end up doing.

Cheers

I went KW V3's and dropped the car by 20mm. Running stock settings on them which work well for me. Car feels a lot more direct in steering, almost go-kart like. Ride is definitely firmer but not too firm, can be crashy at first when they're still bedding in across tram lines if you don't hit them at an angle. Corners extremely flat now and doesn't pitch forward or aft under heavy acceleration or braking.

Plus with the V3's, they're coilovers which means if you're like me and have a driveway which you could scrape on, you have the choice to easily raise the car. 

Knowing me, I'd probably buy em and give em a shot .. but ..... at that price all show no go maybe?

Coilovers are made with/from

SAE9254 steels springs

Aluminum upper mounts

Japanese NOK oil seal

Japanese  FBJ bearing

Italian IP rotary oil 

.... and made in CHINA with famous Chinese "PlastiSteel" and quality ... call me a cynic ....

I looked at every suspension set up in the universe I think and those came up in every search I did every day for coil-overs...!!

These also caught my eye...http://ceikaperformance.com/Custom_Built_Coilovers/PORSCHE/996_c624/

In the end I couldn't put them on a Porsche. Not from snobbery I just couldn't find enough info about them to get an idea of quality.

BTW - I ran K-Sport on a Liberty GT which were great - no issues for 2 years+.

H&R went on the 996 yesterday.

Guys If you haven't read it this thread may also help as whilst its called exhaust tips it ventured into suspension upgrades as well

http://porscheforum.com.au/topic/9008-exhaust-tips-for-996-ideas/ 

Renamed the thread to make it easier to find...

Jim.

I went KW V3's and dropped the car by 20mm. Running stock settings on them which work well for me. Car feels a lot more direct in steering, almost go-kart like. Ride is definitely firmer but not too firm, can be crashy at first when they're still bedding in across tram lines if you don't hit them at an angle. Corners extremely flat now and doesn't pitch forward or aft under heavy acceleration or braking.

Plus with the V3's, they're coilovers which means if you're like me and have a driveway which you could scrape on, you have the choice to easily raise the car. 

Nice! 

Did you install them yourself of have them installed?

Ohlins are awesome but not sure if they do porsche. KW or bilstein coilovers are the most popular. I run kW on my cars (not the porsche yet) and love them.

It took me 9 months, and wanted something different from the standard d PSS10'S / KW's  but I finally got a set of ohlins R&T coilovers for my 996tt  that were not  sourced from the US where they are big bucks relatively speaking.  First local order took 4 months before they said factory is no longer doing runs for a 996 turbo (refer to prospeed in the link below ), then ended up getting a set 4 months later from the UK (design911 on a 20% discount sale that took 3.5months after they confirmed they had them on two week backorder from the factory when I ordered them).  I had ordered some tarret end links specifically to work with Ohlins coilovers hence was sort of locked in / was patient.

Note  best price I found for Ohlins R&T landed to your door  if they can get them after heaps of searching on the web  globally is actually from a nsw central coast shop, prospeeed racing

http://www.prospeedracing.com.au/products/ohlins-r-t-coilover-system-suit-porsche-996-carrera.html

PS Just a view but I would not  just put coilovers on the a car without sorting out adjustability in terms of both toe and camber when it comes to a wheel alignment unless you have a fat wallet and like changing tyres out that wear prematurely.   eg rear adjustable toe links, front shock top mounts and bearing plates (both generally wear badly) as a minimum (I went with 996 GT3 adjustable lower control arms with a guess on required shiming  gt3 rear sway bar and tarret sway bar end links and adjustable toe links to compliment the ohlins R&T coilovers).  Everything is still in boxes , works well on paper based on my research, but can't comment on the setup / fitment as of yet.   If one has not sorted out your engine and tranny mounts recently,  I would recommend getting them sorted whilst doing your suspension. (eg 964 RS semi solid engine mounts and 997 tranny mounts)  eg may as well stiffen up the ride both in terms of suspension and drivetrain movement at the same time.

Notwithstanding I have a 996 turbo, below  is my suspension parts list for reference based on the research I have ready to go on my car

996GT3 Rear Lower Control Arm Inner - Adjustable Left
996GT3 Rear Lower Control Arm Inner - Adjustable Right
996GT3 Front Lower Control Arm Inner - Adjustable Left
996GT3 Front Lower Control Arm Inner - Adjustable Right
Rear Lower Control Arm Solid Thrust Arm End Bushing Kit - GENUINE(996)
LCA HEX.NUT hexagon nut M 8 04- M004
LCA WASHER Washer 8,5 X 17 X 6 04- M004
Control Arm - 1mm caster shims - 
Control Arm - 4mm caster shims - 
Control Arm - 6mm caster shims - 
Front Sway bar Drop Links (for Ohlins Coilovers) Adjustable 
Front sway  bar Drop Links (for Ohlins Coilovers) Boot Set of 4
Rear sway  Drop Links (for Ohlins Coilovers)  Adjustable 
Rear sway  Drop Links (for Ohlins Coilovers) Boot Set of 4
Rear adjustabble toe link steer kit 
Rear adjustabble toe link steer kit boots
Install Suspension Parts