SC Hot Rod on a budget?

TCR

Hey guys,

I'm considering getting my first 911 but really tossing up whether I have the budget to do it. I love my motorsport, so I'd like to do a road registered, weekend mountain run / track car. I'm not too worried about creature comforts and I don't want something blisteringly fast but I still want something with a bit of performance that will be fairly reliable. 

Given my research and my budget of 45K max, I've been looking at the post '76 SCs with the 3.0 litre engine and 915 box. Problem is I'm not a big fan of the impact bumpers, so would be looking to do something along the lines of the IROC bumpers front and rear, ducktail and wider 16" Fuchs wheels, similar to these cars:

http://www.excellence-mag.com/issues/208/articles/oem-plus?page=2

208ESC1.jpg?1393033625

http://www.speedhunters.com/2014/05/magnus-walker-urban-outlaw-everyday-budget/

Larry_Chen_Speedhunters_Magnus_Walker_91

I know I can get the bumpers and ducktail from Renspeed in the US, but can anyone give me an idea of what shipping might cost?

Are similar items available locally, or cheaper?

Does anyone know what's required to fit these sort of items. Is it something a few mates who are reasonable with tools can do over a couple of weekends, or will there be cutting and fitment required by a panel beater?

What's a reasonalbe cost to allow for painting these items, 2K?

What decent 16" replica Fuchs are available, and what are they worth for &,8 & 9"?

I guess I'm trying to work out how much of my 45K budget this stuff would chew up and whether I'd still have enough left to buy a rust free, mechanically sound car that I could tidy up over time.

Paul.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Paul,

Nice inspiration, the interest in this era of 911's and modding them as above is increasing. I'm a fan! 

I be suggesting that a good 3.0 SC will set you back close to 40k leaving you little funds for mods. No doubt you could pick one up for cheaper but what that extra 5-10k gets you in the initial purchase will be a much better 'value' car in the long run (well maintained, clean, straight honest car etc.). 

You can pick up good mid 911's within your budget and I would recommend you get out and have a look at a few, the mods can come later but its a pretty slippery slope. It may start with bumpers and a duck tail but I can assure you that you'll find other areas to throw money at! 

In short I would say 45k is a tight budget to build a 'good' 911 hot rod 'look' - and that's not touching anything mechanical. 

Hope that helps, Hugh. 

Paul buy this car

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-930-1988/SSE-AD-2465716/?Cr=13&sdmvc=1

delete/modify the bling wing make a few other cosmetic mods and it is (almost) on the money for you

Martins car is tasty and sorted (to his liking) it would get you a long way to where you want to be. He is also a genuine seller.

worth a look in the flesh IMO

note: it is not an orig 930 - martin would be the first to tell you, but I do not know why he lists it as a 930 aside fromm the marketing impact? that and he is gen Y :)

Thanks guys.

Hugh, realistically I'm thinking the above mods would be a 10K job, but I don't really have any experience with these cars (and the legendary Porsche 'tax') to know for sure. If that was the case I guess that leaves me $35K for the 'donor' car which seems to be at the bottom end of decent SCs.

I'll definitely be throwing more money at it over time, but as long as I had the basic body & wheels done and the car was mechanically sound I'd be more than happy with that whilst I save for other goodies.

clutch monkey, I'm all ears if you have a car in mind :)

michel, that car certainly looks like a solid start, and I could even live with those front and rear bars for a while. Not really a fan of those wheels and the turbo donk to be honest, would prefer a mildly modified NA 3.0 or 3.2.

I didn't provide an answer to your other questions;

- If you get good quality panels and your car is pretty straight then you should be able to interchange the parts without cutting or any major issues. You just might allow for any new rubbers/hardware etc. that may need replacing when fitting the new parts

- Postage can be expensive, I had a bumper priced recently and postage was significantly more than the cost of the item. Could be worth seeing if you can get something local?

- Cost of painting? Depends on whom/where and how - 2k seems a good initial budget

- I don't know of any 'good' Fuch replica wheels available, alternative usual suspects are minilite/superlite wheels, Group 4 do some nice wheels as well (if your after 15's). I would be allowing 3-5k for wheels and tyres?

Sure others will be able to provide more advice on these items..................

Thanks guys.

Hugh, realistically I'm thinking the above mods would be a 10K job, but I don't really have any experience with these cars (and the legendary Porsche 'tax') to know for sure. If that was the case I guess that leaves me $35K for the 'donor' car which seems to be at the bottom end of decent SCs.

Its surely possible, especially if your able to do some of the work yourself. I guess I'm just being conservative in terms of numbers - plenty of people on here modding their Porsche's on a budget (aren't we all  ;) ). I guess it all comes down to the donor car, that's the key!

clutch monkey, I'm all ears if you have a car in mind :)

nothing in particular, but a few 3.2 swapped cars have gone for mid 30's, including one that was snapped up by a member here (red car with iroc bumpers), and a 3.6 swapped '74 for 40k (another member on here). if you're prepared to wait a little, something similar may pop up :)

performance9 in ormeau can supply bumpers, might work out cheaper since no shipping.

Rather than chase a good Aussie delivered SC for $40K+, I'd be looking for a bit of a bastard child with solid mechanicals and a rust free shell. Is LHD an option? You'll get a lot more for your money and have change for the bumpers, wheels, paint ect that you want. 

Yep, rust free post '76 galvanized body and sound mechanicals would be the priority, preferably a recently rebuilt engine and/or gearbox. Paintwork and interior not so much as I'd be doing some painting anyway and eventually some interior mods along the lines of the two cars mentioned above.

LHD wouldn't be an issue for me.

Archived