Skunk Works 964 "RS-4" project

Hi all,

You may have read in the intro thread that I recently acquired a 964 C4. I had been looking, unsuccessfully, for a C2 when this one popped up. Having done a lot of reading and talking to some very knowledgeable people I’m confident that the 2 main gripes people have with the C4, i.e. understeer and extra weight, can be ironed out fairly easily with nice suspension and a diet respectively. Given it will be a street car, the extra grip the C4 offers will be welcome.

The skunk works at Autohaus Hamilton have been entrusted to tackle the majority of the work. We have taken some ideas from their Group 4 car, as well as the C2 RS and C4 Lightweight, tweaked them and added plenty of our own.

Here is a summary:

Mechanical
Engine blueprinted and balanced
Custom grind Elgin cams
Titanium valve springs and retainers
Ported heads
ECU retune, MAF,Motec M84 ECU
ARP rod bolts
993 head studs

Heavy duty clutch
RS flywheel
Semi-solid engine and trans mounts
Fabspeed RSR headers and muffler
Billet rocker covers
GT3 oil pump
Carbon RS heater pipe
Fuel pump
993 RS valves
Mahle high compression, moly-coated pistons
Rothsport (Jenvey) ITBs and plenum

Suspension & Brakes
Bilstein PSS10 coil overs and rear strut tops
Wheel alignment, corner balance and set ride heights
993 Turbo “Big red” brakes, braided lines
Brembo 355mm & 328mm brakes with 2 piece rotors
Braided lines
993 steering rack brace
18” Victor equipment - Zehn 18x8 ET45 and 18x9.5 ET49
Pirelli P-Zero tyres 225/40/18 and 265/35/18

Panel Work/Exterior
993 Cup mirrors
Rolled guards
Respray (997 GT3 RS grey-black)
Ducktail
Ducktail grille
3.6 grille badge
Engine lid hinge adaptors
Replace all rubbers and seals
Clear indicator lenses (front bar)
Brake ducts (front bar)

Side indicator delete
New tail lights
Rear reflector delete

Headlight washers deleted
New headlight lenses and HID upgrade
New rear bumper for dual exhaust

New windscreen

Interior
½ cage
Recaro pole position Sparco Evo seats
Momo Prototipo Sparco R-345 steering wheel
Rennline quick release
Wevo shift coupler
RS door trims
RS carpet
Dash, knee pads, door tops and centre console retrimmed in alcantara
Rennline billet gear knob & door locks
Leather gearshift boot
Carbon fibre console inserts
New sun visors
New headlining
Rennline pedal pads
Rennline floor boards
Schroth 6 point harnesses

New seat belts
Extinguisher
Remove soundproofing

VDO headunit (CD9303UB)

Miscellaneous
Oil hoses
Diff seals
Steering rack boots

Drive shafts
Drive shaft boots
Engine soundproofing
Overhaul air-con

New alternator

Alarm and 3 point immobiliser
And a few (i.e. many!) other bits and pieces

My impression of how it will look, minus the ducky and a few other 918 inspired touches. Pics to follow.

vrimz_Wolfrace_TrackReady__Pro-Lite.png

nice list. 

I'm not sure what "sport camshaft" means or "sport valve springs" but i do suggest getting your head worked to accommodate the camshafts with at least port work. or better, larger valves. Went through the same deal with my head. 

Make sure you have an idea where you want your power band too. with a camshaft expect it to move right a bit so you'll loose some bottom end torque. 

Yeah! That's almost the value of the car again in mods!

Make sure you post lots of photos!!

Looking forward to your updates!

"almost"? ummmm, something like that :lol:

loads of progress shots to follow

nice list. 

I'm not sure what "sport camshaft" means or "sport valve springs" but i do suggest getting your head worked to accommodate the camshafts with at least port work. or better, larger valves. Went through the same deal with my head. 

Make sure you have an idea where you want your power band too. with a camshaft expect it to move right a bit so you'll loose some bottom end torque. 

Yes head work has been taken into consideration, as has the power band. It will be a nice "streetable" engine with broard torque curve. Not chasing absolute power. 

Guest 550spyder

Ducktail. Are we talking RS seventies ducktail? Liking it already. Autohaus will do a good job.

Re your 'almost' comment, I think we can safely say this project is 'almost an investment' (in the soul).

Sounds like a modern day RS 'interpretation'. Lots of tasty things on that spec list I love. I can only assume that your reference to engine soundproofing is 'removal' !

The only option now is to amend your log in name to skunkworks964.

I am salivating at the prospect of this build. Bring it on.

Ducktail. Are we talking RS seventies ducktail? Liking it already. Autohaus will do a good job.

Re your 'almost' comment, I think we can safely say this project is 'almost an investment' (in the soul).

Sounds like a modern day RS 'interpretation'. Lots of tasty things on that spec list I love. I can only assume that your reference to engine soundproofing is 'removal' !

The only option now is to amend your log in name to skunkworks964.

I am salivating at the prospect of this build. Bring it on.

Yep the seventies ducktail. Inspiration is taken from the 73 RS, 964 RS & C4 LWT, even the 918 Spyder, while keeping the clean lines of the 964. Lines that I consider the last of the classic 911s.

Engine soundproofing is being replaced rather than removed. The engine mounts will amplify the noise a bit so I didn't want it to be too over the top.

And "almost"...yea well you onliy live once. 

that engine rebuild should net you ~300hp at the engine with a nice fat mid range, will be very nice..

That's what we're thinking. Should be fun given we'll be able to pull a few kg out of the car.

As promised, some pics of the donor car which is, as you can see, a rather clean and very straight example. One could be happy cruising around in as is, albeit with the various leaks etc fixed. However we have other plans :D

It should be stripped within a couple of weeks. Excess parts (seats, wheels etc) will be sold off so let me know if you want to dibs anything.

20140604_143930.jpg

20140604_144542.jpg

20140604_144555.jpg

20140604_144630.jpg

20140604_144706.jpg

20140604_144756.jpg

20140604_144827.jpg

20140604_144844.jpg

And here is the first draft artist's impression. There are a few tweaks ie clear indicators but it is pretty close to how we envisage the end result.

We're looking at a couple of changes to the abovementioned build sheet including Brembo brakes with 2 piece rotors and a Motec computer for more precise tuning and allow us to de-clutter the engine bay even more.

20140604_16072_edit_1401865779584.jpg

So is the car with the reddish interior the one that you will end up driving or is that the one you are using to strip the mechanicals out of to install into the other chassis?

I only have the one car. It's the one with the burgundy interior.

By other chassis I assume you mean the shell in the background which is another customers car. From memory it's a 930 being backdated to 73 RSR look.

Getting close to finalising the colour scheme :) 

Oh and the Recaro seats have been ditched in favour of Sparco Evos, as has the Prototipo steering wheel.

Miura Green for the highlights (cage, calipers, interior stitching).

71-Lamborghini-Miura-Green-DV-11-CI-06.j

Grigio Telesto (aka Battleship grey) for the body, albeit a shade darker.

battleship-grey-lamborghini-gallardo-4-6

And these are the brakes I mentioned yesterday. Still to be confirmed.

28105_b.jpg

I'm sitting in a sparco evo right now (home-made office-chair).  Don't know what the recaros are like, but when this evo2 was in my car it was the most comfortable car seat I've ever used...