Skunk Works 964 "RS-4" project

what kind of build is this?

Umm, thorough?

Most parts have arrived and are being trial-fitted before the car goes to paint. Good excuse to play with all the bits and pieces anyway :)

As for the budget, well we're not scrimping nor are we throwing great wads of cash around. If we were it would be a different beast again. Probably a wide bodied 3.8 74 Carrera 3.0 RS or RSR replica...maybe when I win lotto.

Engine has been stripped. Pics to follow.

nice- have the same exhaust on my car sans heater boxes, they sound great (you might want to fabricate a removable  bung for one of the muffler outlets as it can drone on the highway)

This guy. He knows.

Ask and yee shall receive

They were really happy with the condition of the pistons. The magnesium oil pump on the other hand needs replacing, so a GT3 one is going in.

Also two of the rocker arms were worn beyond the point of being resurfaced so will be replaced. The cams also showed signs of wear but are being replaced with billet ones anyway.

Sussing out larger valves and later model plastic intake manifold which flow a lot better.

20140625_171128.jpg

20140625_171123.jpg

20140625_171116.jpg

Love what you are doing and where this is going.

Seeing as I don't know too much about motors.. what's the plan regarding the rebuild?

Do you replace bearings, pistons, rings, hone bore? or replace everything?

In this case we don't need to replace the pistons and/or cylinders. If one was to do so you'd probably go JE and Mahle 3.8 respectively but they're ~$5k plus there is some additional machining required.

Given the condition of the engine we can reuse the existing pistons and cylinders with new rings, springs & retainers, seals, gaskets, conrod bolts, head studs and bearings etc. Engine will also be blueprinted and balanced, receive new cams and the aforementioned rockers and oil pump. Can't recall what was said about line honing (assume it would be done) and boring and resurfacing the cylinders (don't think it's necessary unless fitting oversized pistons). Then there are all the ancillaries like dizzy caps, rotor buttons, leads etc etc. No doubt a heap of things I've missed there.

Should be ready for july CnC run……..hahahha……love it!

We're thinking mid August but I'll be overseas from the 10th, which means delivery in September.

At least that gives some time for a thorough shakedown