What's for sale (Internationally) that's interesting Thread

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 5:46 AM, symsy said:

Anyone faced off with the import challenges in recent times ..?? 

I started the process in March and just got my car home last week.(USA to Adelaide).

Definitely not a process for the impatient buyer.

I paid to have the asbestos certification done in LA ( $900)

However I also fell victim to a random guns\drugs search where the container was removed from the ship by U S customs and searched, which meant a) the container missed that ship and b) it cost an extra $4500 in search fees.

51 minutes ago, 9er said:

it cost an extra $4500 in search fees.

How does that work?? If the find guns or drugs ok, but if you just win the world crappiest lottery and they pick your container you pay for it?

19 minutes ago, MFX said:

How does that work?? If the find guns or drugs ok, but if you just win the world crappiest lottery and they pick your container you pay for it?

Yep, out of pocket and another week or two of waiting.

Third time I've done it, and the first time I've been hit although word is that the new Trump administration may have something to do with it.

The car was well worth it in the end though?

5 hours ago, 9er said:

Third time I've done it, and the first time I've been hit although word is that the new Trump administration may have something to do with it.

My appetite for importing is decreasing 

7 hours ago, 9er said:

cool, what did you import?

Anyone been down the Japan import route?

caught my eye recently and seems there are some good cars there in rhd. 

Im tipping the catch is all the on costs of bringing it into Australia?

14 minutes ago, JB said:

Yes - I have done a personal import from J. Over the years, I have had imports from UK, US & HK as well, however J. was the by far the best. 

The Japs sell millions of used cars to overseas & their inspection, auction and shipping systems are excellent (& trustworthy too). The shipping cost to Au. was surprisingly cheap. When my Skyline got here the paperwork was quick & uncomplicated as well. The Au. gov however, does like to  'modify' their rules all the time - so do some Googling about things like asbestos inspections & the like to get up-to-date info.

I am considering getting an original style (1944) Jeep from Japan as Mitsubishi makes (made?) them under licence in RHD with their own 'modern' engine  & stuff, so seriously retro. There's lotsa cool stuff like that over there.

On 21 July 2018 at 3:13 PM, JB said:

Yes just dont believe the mileages …and just watch chassis rust , had some good results buying...

Import easy as , its the local compliance crooks hat you have to watch out for 

On 7/22/2018 at 5:29 PM, symsy said:

Yes just dont believe the mileages …and just watch chassis rust , had some good results buying...

Import easy as , its the local compliance crooks hat you have to watch out for 

Way off but a consideration to get a daily that I can mod up and be like the cool kids.

if you get one of these companies to do it all for you are you restricted to what can be brought in under revs? Or you have to go down the pre 89 route,?...

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ScottyP said:

Very tasty 964 Turbo hotrod on BAT: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-porsche-965-2/ 

Porsche hotrod.jpg

Did someone say, 'hotrod'?  Ooh yeah, looks the goods. Where do I sign up? Getty design duck? Who knew. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, 

I'm very new here and hope to become an active member in the future, buying my first Porsche soon?

I'm living in France at present and planning to move back to AUS in a couple of years. So you can imagine my questions:

-what would you do? Come with a Porsche in my luggage? 

-import in UK Porsche to France first to have it RHD? 

-why model and year to pick? 

I look forward to reading your opinions

6 hours ago, Framar said:

Hi everyone, 

I'm very new here and hope to become an active member in the future, buying my first Porsche soon?

I'm living in France at present and planning to move back to AUS in a couple of years. So you can imagine my questions:

-what would you do? Come with a Porsche in my luggage? 

-import in UK Porsche to France first to have it RHD? 

-why model and year to pick? 

I look forward to reading your opinions

Imo only bring one with you if it is special to you or special to the market or an absolute screaming bargain to buy.

Make sure you qualify & meet the rules for bringing back your car after 2(?) years ownership. 

Get a RHD after a thorough check for rust. (Can you keep one in France without being taxed/penalised unfairly?)

A 996 - early one - is probably the only car thats cheaper in Europe than it is here now. 

These days it doesn't make financial sense to do this, so unless you find a car you really love. I wouldnt bother.