What's for sale (Internationally) that's interesting Thread

On 05/05/2020 at 15:53, DJM said:

UK car sales down 97% in April.......😲 worst since after the war 1946.

On 05/05/2020 at 23:06, tomo said:

On the news this morning : It has also killed the same amount of people that were lost in the Blitz in WW2

And prices are not changing at the moment. In near total lock down and cannot even buy bargain cars!

On 06/05/2020 at 00:53, DJM said:

UK car sales down 97% in April.......😲 worst since after the war 1946.

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/coronavirus/uk-car-sales-figures-covid-19/

Surprised by that? I’m not, the whole country has been in total lockdown since the end of March so everyone’s been at home. In my family other than my 2 sisters who are a nurse and teacher respectively (and have both had COVID-19 for the pleasure of doing such jobs), they’ve barely left the house. Buying a car is the least of anyone’s requirements.

I read somewhere last week that new car sales here were only being propped up by manufacturers registering demo and management cars, BMW registered over 400 cars just to keep the numbers up. Otherwise sales are down ~50%, which stands to reason really. I’m guessing there will be some cheap demo cars to be had.

13 hours ago, Mike-S said:

Surprised by that? I’m not, the whole country has been in total lockdown since the end of March so everyone’s been at home. In my family other than my 2 sisters who are a nurse and teacher respectively (and have both had COVID-19 for the pleasure of doing such jobs), they’ve barely left the house. Buying a car is the least of anyone’s requirements.

I read somewhere last week that new car sales here were only being propped up by manufacturers registering demo and management cars, BMW registered over 400 cars just to keep the numbers up. Otherwise sales are down ~50%, which stands to reason really. I’m guessing there will be some cheap demo cars to be had.

...and yet I'm still having trouble buying a vehicle from a Mercedes-Benz dealership. I sent a message to a salesperson who has been lax with the phrase 'I can't believe I'm having to chase you for you to make a sale. I'm still interested in the vehicle' 4 days ago. he responded that he would contact me on Monday.

Nothing....

10 minutes ago, wobaby said:

You'd have to think it's reached it's peak price wise... imported from somewhere in 2007, tiptronic, 165k kms, no chance of test driving, no reg, no roadworthy and it's being auctioned

3 minutes ago, JLD said:

You'd have to think it's reached it's peak price wise... imported from somewhere in 2007, tiptronic, 165k kms, no chance of test driving, no reg, no roadworthy and it's being auctioned

The name "Neil Collins" appears on one of the GOODPSANNER Invoices (they auction house should have caught that)

Yeah with %7 fees , then transportation and rego.... $25K would be about it without a PPI

22 hours ago, JLD said:

It says it's imported, wonder if it came from here??

UK imports are looked down upon here.  Does that mean Aussie imports are looked up to over there, salt free roads and all that?

35 minutes ago, DJM said:

UK imports are looked down upon here.  Does that mean Aussie imports are looked up to over there, salt free roads and all that?

I think Aussies are the only people who care where a car was first delivered

22 hours ago, DJM said:

about 20 years ago Brookvale Spares in Sydney sold about 10 containers of beetle parts to the UK, for the lack of rust

• 1 month later...
On 20/05/2020 at 06:17, DJM said:

Hi All, first post. I'm an Aussie living in London, looking to get a 997 and return at some point with it to Sydney...

Q) How much does the fact that a car is a UK import devalue a 997 for resale? Say a 2009 997.2 C2S Manual? Plan to keep it forever, but just in case?

I see Redbook value of that car at private sale price of $80k-$90k AUD (seems low compared to carsales.com.au). 

Any thoughts on a pricing discount you'd expect for a UK car?

Depends on the car and the condition.  Generally I would expect a 20-30% less value for a uk import.  The biggest issue you’re going to have is that everyone will assume it is rusty and it will be very hard to resell.  If you want to keep it no big issue. Rusty doesn’t mean holes in the doors like an old kingswood but more like exhaust and suspension components and fasteners.

If you want to import a 997 you’ll have to own it for 12 months prior to import.  And don’t forget to add in the import duties, gst and lct into your calculations.

i imported a car from the uk 15 years ago and still have it (nobody would buy it lol) - it’s actually not bad as far as rust but it was a one owner when I got it and lived in the south so had never seen salted roads.  I have seen pictures of 996/997 cars with undersides looking very corroded.

1 hour ago, Coastr said:

Depends on the car and the condition.  Generally I would expect a 20-30% less value for a uk import.  The biggest issue you’re going to have is that everyone will assume it is rusty and it will be very hard to resell.  If you want to keep it no big issue. Rusty doesn’t mean holes in the doors like an old kingswood but more like exhaust and suspension components and fasteners.

If you want to import a 997 you’ll have to own it for 12 months prior to import.  And don’t forget to add in the import duties, gst and lct into your calculations.

i imported a car from the uk 15 years ago and still have it (nobody would buy it lol) - it’s actually not bad as far as rust but it was a one owner when I got it and lived in the south so had never seen salted roads.  I have seen pictures of 996/997 cars with undersides looking very corroded.

Thanks Coastr. Yeah, will be living in London for more than year.

My ideal car is 997.2 C2S Coupe Manual. Thinking I want to keep it.

I think I can get one of those in UK for around £40k which is AUD $72k.

Or I could pick up a nice looking sorted Cat D (repairable insurance write-off) for £30k (AUD $54k).

A landed valuation would definitely need to come in under the magical LCT threshold of $68k otherwise LCT blows the viability of this out of the water. I read that valuations take into account import status and are lower than AU delivered market prices.

Import costs and taxes probably $12k?

Is this still a good idea or not?

What do you think of the Cat D idea? I was wondering if you get a nice one cheap because of UK Cat D stigma, then you save on AU import duty and GST etc. Back in AU, does the Cat D stigma stack on top of the UK import stigma linearly, or is possible that in 10 years time, or at some point for a well-sorted 20 year old car that looks and drives well, it no longer matters so much?

Ok, I get it. Will stay away from repaired write-offs, no matter how exceptionally cheap they are.

Anyone have any experience with "landed valuations" for importing a 997-era Porsche? If I could get a nice one for £37k here, I wonder what would it be valued at on the dock in Sydney? I have heard of around 50% of domestic non-imported value. This drives the duty and GST and also whether it attracts LCT.

If the maths don't add up, it might be better to wait till I return.

But there are so many more on the market here in UK, always 4 or 5 that match the criteria on offer at any one time.

Take the lowest trade price of the car in the UK, convert that to AUD and then drop it some more for the landed value here. Sat on the docks with just import approval paperwork the car is essentially unroadworthy and that’s how it’s valued. I lucked out years ago with my Range Rover Sport. Aus delivered value was $75k, UK bottom trade was £13k (which is why I boxed it up and brought it with me) which equated to $19kAUD. That’s the valuation I paid duty on, it’s also the valuation I paid stamp duty on when I registered it even though VicRoads didn’t like that. I had customs documentation though so they couldn’t argue.

As soon as it was registered and therefore legal, the value increased.

Still got it 10 years later.

7 hours ago, Coastr said:

I was watching Wheeler Dealers last night, it was the episode where they bought a Boxster S for £1,000. When you watch them pull it apart to repair, it’s amazing to see how rusty they are. The scary thing is that things like rusty screws and metal parts are put back as if it’s nothing. So if no one cares at that level, imagine what unscrupulous sellers would try to get away with!

On 23/06/2020 at 11:21, lordvonpineapple said:

Thanks Coastr. Yeah, will be living in London for more than year.

I think I can get one of those in UK for around £40k which is AUD $72k.

Or I could pick up a nice looking sorted Cat D (repairable insurance write-off) for £30k (AUD $54k).

A landed valuation would definitely need to come in under the magical LCT threshold of $68k otherwise LCT blows the viability of this out of the water. I read that valuations take into account import status and are lower than AU delivered market prices.

Import costs and taxes probably $12k?

Is this still a good idea or not?

What do you think of the Cat D idea? I was wondering if you get a nice one cheap because of UK Cat D stigma, then you save on AU import duty and GST etc. Back in AU, does the Cat D stigma stack on top of the UK import stigma linearly, or is possible that in 10 years time, or at some point for a well-sorted 20 year old car that looks and drives well, it no longer matters so much?

You could hide the Cat D stigma because people don't know how to find that out.  It wouldn't be fair on a seller to do so, but I wouldn't be surprised if that sort of thing happens.  It's one reason why imports are worth less, because history disappears with the import.

>I read that valuations take into account import status and are lower than AU delivered market prices.

Having imported 2 cars, one was done this way and the other was done based on what I paid for it - and I had to provide lots of documentation to customs to show that is what I paid for it.  I don't know why one was chosen over the other.

Best thing to do is ask for a shipping quote - you'll get the idea on how much it costs.

The guide to importing cars.

1. You won't make money on it
2. See point 1.

If you have a car you love and you want to keep it, by all means import it and you might make out around-a-about what the same car would have cost you to buy.  But your import will be worth less.

There is this coming up for auction: https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/1973-porsche-911-carrera-27-rs

On 23/06/2020 at 19:21, lordvonpineapple said:

IWhat do you think of the Cat D idea?

I am in Glasgow and thinking of doing the same thing, 997.2 C2S Manual and looked at a couple of CAT cars. CAT D you may be ok, CAT C/S would be a no go (anything sills or structural i am told will get it sent back or crushed). As noted import + CAT D you better be in it to keep it and not for the flip, but a CAT D car can be a bargin here and i am planning on keeping so would consider it if it checked out and a bargin price.

The exchange rate is going the right direction but car prices here are not, no supply = higher prices.... I bounce between a 997.1 on the cheap and modifying (ie CSR), 996tt and a 997.2 and all end up a similar budget to what your talking.  You can also get some 991 cars at that price, though you are at the bottom of the pool. The big attraction was that i could get it and blast around europe and bring it back as the car i did all of these things in but COVID is rapidly closing that idea down.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Taffy