PARTS for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

I'm keen to see what people's thought's are on the value of a 968 3.0L engine, mid 100,000km on the engine.

Also, a transplant into a 944 with wiring loom etc, will the standard 944 box cope with the extra horses?

Hi Tingy , the 944 2.5l manual transmission internals ( size of bearings etc ) are smaller than even the 944S box  , the 944S2 or the 968 transmission is better suited ,plus the 944 2,5L diff carrier is relatively weak in design ( they break ) & the crown wheel and pinion is more petite as compared to the 944S2 trans ( very strong ) and the ultimate is the 968 trans ( in outright strength ) because the diff centre & crown wheel & pinion are designed to take more Torque & HP than the 968 NA can put out  , meaning they are the largest

I didn't mention 951 trans because the final drive ratios are not suited at all to what you need , however in outright strength its between the 944S2 & 968

However if the 968 engine is installed into a early 944 , so long as the driver is very sympathetic with super smooth gear changing & never ever accelerating hard from a standing start it may work for a little while

Hi Tingy , the 944 2.5l manual transmission internals ( size of bearings etc ) are smaller than even the 944S box  , the 944S2 or the 968 transmission is better suited ,plus the 944 2,5L diff carrier is relatively weak in design ( they break ) & the crown wheel and pinion is more petite as compared to the 944S2 trans ( very strong ) and the ultimate is the 968 trans ( in outright strength ) because the diff centre & crown wheel & pinion are designed to take more Torque & HP than the 968 NA can put out  , meaning they are the largest

I didn't mention 951 trans because the final drive ratios are not suited at all to what you need , however in outright strength its between the 944S2 & 968

However if the 968 engine is installed into a early 944 , so long as the driver is very sympathetic with super smooth gear changing & never ever accelerating hard from a standing start it may work for a little while

Is it worth rebuilding a standard 944 box to strengthen it or is this not cost effective.

Rebuilding  , its an interesting word when it come to transmissions & engines , it conjures up notions in ones mind of hundreds if not thousands of new ( not 2nd hand ) parts being replaced & thousands & thousands( or tens of thousands ) of dollars spent of parts alone , but humans generally shudder at the reality of exactly that 

Now the word strengthen , in the world of last century manual transmissions the word strengthen generally applies to vehicle manufacturers " lets start again" & lets make a completely different manual transmission/ diff assembly ( transaxle) & or machine out the existing cases to be able to install larger bearings & different shafts & gear sets , all in the chase for the ability of the transmission to cope with the extra Torque / HP and the inevitable increase in vehicle weight ( more strain on transmissions / drivelines)

So in the case of a early or any 2.5L  NA  944 5 speed manual transmission/ diff assembly ( transaxle ) Porsche knew full well the 2.5L NA transmission could barley cope with the 2.5L 944 engine & if abused ( driven poorly ) the standard 2.5L transaxle diff carrier would just smash apart ( didn't take long ) , destroying the crown wheel & pinion & trans case or the pinion head loosing teeth = BANG , those loose teeth do not go far
Thats because the internals ( everything ) was a bit on the small side ( too small )  , be it the bearings & the shafts they live on , the holes( basic description only ) in the trans case the hold the bearings in place were smaller to accommodate the smaller pinion  bearings etc , weaker diff carrier ( big problem ) , weaker crown wheel and pinion et  etc etc etc etc

But weaker to what ?  ( In The NA 944 world )

Answer=  the next generation of NA  5 speed transaxle 944 transmission & that next generation was the 1987  944S 5 speed , everything bigger , even the case id different to accomodate the larger bearings / shafts / gear sets diff centre and a different crown wheel & pinion etc etc etc etc

Note } the only thing I do not like in the 944S transmission is the lack of strength of the crown wheel and pinion ( the pinion head is too small , it was a one off compromise to get the lower ratio Porsche wanted to better suite the dreadful lack of torque the 2.5L 944S had

The next leap forward in Strength is the 944S2 5 speed transmission , much better ( strength wise ) crown wheel & pinion issue fixed ( much better effort )  

The ultimate in the 944 NA transaxle transmission is the 968 trans ( magnificent transmission )  the sort of transmission manufacturers will evolve into just at the end of the line of a given model run ( if they have the balls to spend that amount of money in that sort of engineering ), it makes all the others look weak in comparison , but like all overkills it was not really needed in the 968 NA ( Turbo yes ) but the older 5 speed 944S2 trans would have sufficed , but Porsche were happy to make the 968 the first Porsche sold to the public with a 6 speed transmission ( it cost Porsche a fortune ), but this is the sort of thing I liked about Porsche last century , the ability to spend money on engineering like a drunken sailer 

So to answer you question , no not really , its just designed for a 2.0 or 2.5L ( JUST )

But like I said , drive it very very smoothly & it might last a little while 

PS } I didn't mention the 951 trans above, as its not relevant

Hi everyone,

just wondering what you guys make of these?

also; would they fit on a 74 911s wide body?

Gumtree ad for rims

They don't look like theyve got a lot of dish for 9s and 11s.  I'd check the offset with the seller to make sure they'll fit.  I spent a lot of time looking for wheels for my 79 widebody and there are a lot out there for the later 911's.  They will still work on a G series but you need to have large spacers.

Of course this doesn't mean you can't keep the centres and re-barrel for the right offset.

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Archived