Insurance Time - Again

murf

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a note.

I'm moving my Boxster, and other things into a storage facility in the short term as I have sold my home and my temporary living doesn't have secure parking for it.

Suncorp or AAI underwriting has issued a refund of $47/yr on this basis.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm currently with Shannons and did a ring around to do a comparison. Rang Lumleys and they were very helpful. In the end they had very similar inclusions and Shannon's worked out a bit better value so are staying with them for the next 12 months.

I just did the comparisons this week for my car.

Have been with Porsche Sportcar Insurance for the past year and even though I'm on a limited use policy, it suits me really very well.

I did get a very competitive quote from Youi but their agreed values are very very low, and Shannons was a little more expense than my current policy.

To be really honest however, reading the PDS on both Youi and Shannons really made the decision for me. The quality of cover from Porsche Insurance is really very good, and the service.

I just did the comparisons this week for my car.

Have been with Porsche Sportcar Insurance for the past year and even though I'm on a limited use policy, it suits me really very well.

I did get a very competitive quote from Youi but their agreed values are very very low, and Shannons was a little more expense than my current policy.

To be really honest however, reading the PDS on both Youi and Shannons really made the decision for me. The quality of cover from Porsche Insurance is really very good, and the service.

I've done some shopping around and reading of PDS, I have also found that Porsche insurance is the most comprehensive cover, reasonable on pricing too! I'd recommend anyone to at least put the feelers out to them ^^

I'm with Lumley Special Vehicle since owning the car, but lately I've been shopping around for multi car policies and Lumley stepped up to the plate... If I bring my new pending purchase to them, not only will they cover it for a reasonable amount but they'll pass on a nice discount to the 911's annual premium. 

So far looks like they retain my business! :) 

See VENT! for my Shannons quote :lol: 

I have my cars insured with shannons. Have been with them since about 1989. Today I rang them to change my postal address and decided while I was on the line I'd find out about upping the agreed value on my SC. A couple of basic questions, and I increased the value by 8K for less than $5 a month. I always say to myself next year I'm going to shop around, but they always do something that keeps me coming back.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd share my insurance experience from yesterday ....

I have my SC insured through Ryno. It has been on my mind for a few weeks now that at $45,000 it is underinsured. I figure that if the worst happened, I would find it extremely hard, if not impossible to replace it for that amount.

So I call them and explain that the aircooled market has gone ballistic and I would like to up the insurance to $55,000.

After a pause, then a tap, tap, tap then another pause, he informs me that the high price insurance value is $72,000.

So Sir, we would be happy to increase the insured value to $60,000 for you, and as your insurance is due for renewal in July, and the difference in premium is under $10, I am happy to waive the fee for you ....

That my friends, is service .....

I have had an offer from the States for my car.

The guy is serious, if I told you the amount you would spit coffee over your keyboard.

As this is a genuine offer.... should I be able to insure it for that amount?

That depends ....

The insurers work to figures from low to high amounts ....

Lets say for your car it's $100,000 for one in top nick .... just because someone has offered you $110,000, doesn't mean they will insure you for that amount .... I think it works on past and current sales and also condition of your car ...

With my car, year and condition, the top amount they will insure it for is $72, 000, which is why they had no problem going to $60k ... with mine, I also had to provide photos to show condition.

Please note .... all figures for your car are for demonstration purposes only .... I have NO idea what they would actually be.

That depends ....

The insurers work to figures from low to high amounts ....

Lets say for your car it's $100,000 for one in top nick .... just because someone has offered you $110,000, doesn't mean they will insure you for that amount .... I think it works on past and current sales and also condition of your car ...

With my car, year and condition, the top amount they will insure it for is $72, 000, which is why they had no problem going to $60k ... with mine, I also had to provide photos to show condition.

Please note .... all figures for your car are for demonstration purposes only .... I have NO idea what they would actually be.

:blink: You went to $60k? 

Maybe I should take another look at my policy.

I have had an offer from the States for my car.

The guy is serious, if I told you the amount you would spit coffee over your keyboard.

As this is a genuine offer.... should I be able to insure it for that amount?

You must be tempted?

996 Turbo and change left over to get everything perfectly in spec?

With having an intact and working Smog Pump you should of squeezed them for $60001.99 :ph34r:

With having an intact and working Smog Pump you should of squeezed them for $60001.99 :ph34r:

Don't stress, Caledonian ..... I made sure the price of the pump was included in the $60k ....

:blink: You went to $60k? 

Maybe I should take another look at my policy.

The reason I questioned my insured amount was that after an SMT a couple of weeks ago, I realised that if something had happened, I couldn't replace it for the $45k it was insured for ....

After all, I see insurance as a policy in place to be able to replace what is lost ....

• 1 month later...

I have my cars insured with shannons. Have been with them since about 1989. Today I rang them to change my postal address and decided while I was on the line I'd find out about upping the agreed value on my SC. A couple of basic questions, and I increased the value by 8K for less than $5 a month. I always say to myself next year I'm going to shop around, but they always do something that keeps me coming back.

My renewal notice (Shannons) turned up in the mail today which was a coincidence as I was about to call them.  They had taken upon themselves to reduce the agreed value by 2500k…. the premium of coarse remained the same!!  After a quick chat on the phone they were only to happy to up the agreed value 8k with only $30 addition to the premium.  

Same goes Stew, I find it difficult to change insurers when they do that.

My renewal notice (Shannons) turned up in the mail today which was a coincidence as I was about to call them. They had taken upon themselves to reduce the agreed value by 2500k…. the premium of coarse remained the same!! After a quick chat on the phone they were only to happy to up the agreed value 8k with only $30 addition to the premium.

Same goes Stew, I find it difficult to change insurers when they do that.

It's worth chasing this all up- the figures are set by an algorithm apparently and it can get a bit weird if you don't bring it up with them

It all comes down to wording.

I'm about to claim through Ryno, and will report back with my experience

chris  having recently downsized and it seems in the process of upsizing again, I have been told by another mate to look at Ryno. Though like alot of us lazy and tend to stay with the same insurer, as long as like the gents above 'keep been surprised'.

As you say while 'insured value' is one thing all about the wording - Ill be interested to hear how you go. what category of claim?

Archived