Insurance Time - Again

murf

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure of the claims paid or not paid, but I know that if they can get out of it they will certainly try ....

They spend a lot of money on assessors, investigators and claim centres to try and minimise the monies they have to pay out.

I've never heard of an insurer that will just take the policy holders word .....

Shannons, but their over the top premium doesn't even rate a mention in this post...

That's because their premiums are generally not overpriced. You'll find more of us on here with Shannons than Youi that's for sure.

I'm not sure of the claims paid or not paid, but I know that if they can get out of it they will certainly try ....

They spend a lot of money on assessors, investigators and claim centres to try and minimise the monies they have to pay out.

I've never heard of an insurer that will just take the policy holders word .....

Hmm.. i hope you not inferring the insurance professionals (assessors,investigators & claims staff) lack integrity or morals? or was that just a throw away comment from talking $h1t around the BBQ (where a lot of the "facts" on here seem to be from) :ph34r:  with a mate who's mates mate had a claim denied because he was possibly telling porkies……

I'm with NRMA Vintage and Classic Ins. Renewal was under $400 for the 911. Extra benefits with this policy are very good.I had 5 cars with Shannons but cancelled all 5 policies due to their reluctance to lower any premiums.

Dominic

So you compared products and got a better price for comparative cover, well done and great example.

• 4 weeks later...

I rang Shannons today to see if I could get insurance whilst I'm assembling the 912.

Agreed value of $30k as it sits now, including test drives or transport to an from repair places, yet when it is registered and on the road, I can raise it by $15k or so

Very happy with the service and the premium quoted

I

I rang Shannons today to see if I could get insurance whilst I'm assembling the 912.

Agreed value of $30k as it sits now, including test drives or transport to an from repair places, yet when it is registered and on the road, I can raise it by $15k or so

Very happy with the service and the premium quoted

I have the "laid up" cover on one of my motorbikes, its a great option but i don't recall there being any cover for "test drives" unless its changed of course?

Just got my renewal with RACV and they had dropped the value to $49k on my 3.2. I told them the value has gone up, not down but they wouldn't/couldn't change it. They then put me on to their Classic and Vintage department (which Id never heard of) and they gave me agreed value of $60k, and dropped the premium by $400 as its a limited km policy (9,000kms). I wanted to stay with RACV because of how well my claim went a couple years ago. RACV classic is half the price of the Shannon's and Lumleys quotes I got 2 years ago also.

My experience is insurance costs are impossible to predict. My weekend cars have always been with Shannon's because anyone else would say "Westfield what" "datsun 13B?" Shannon's say "cool". GT2 is insured with them for reasonable price. I also had my M135i with them but was a bit surprised at $1400 premium. I was in a rush so left it with them at the time.

Just recently insured a new X5 with AAMI at about half Shannon's quote. So I got AAMI to quote the M135i and they were under $700! Shannon's didn't really care when I cancelled it 8 months in. Hard to say one insurer is good value over another - depends on their risk appetite and the algorithms that are used to calculate the premiums. Shop around is good advice.

I think you should read AAMI pds. They don't care about your car they just want someone to repair it as cheap as possiable. You can pick your choice of repairer but if they are not cheaper than a AAMI repair shop they wont get the job.

My experience is insurance costs are impossible to predict. My weekend cars have always been with Shannon's because anyone else would say "Westfield what" "datsun 13B?" Shannon's say "cool". GT2 is insured with them for reasonable price. I also had my M135i with them but was a bit surprised at $1400 premium. I was in a rush so left it with them at the time.

Just recently insured a new X5 with AAMI at about half Shannon's quote. So I got AAMI to quote the M135i and they were under $700! Shannon's didn't really care when I cancelled it 8 months in. Hard to say one insurer is good value over another - depends on their risk appetite and the algorithms that are used to calculate the premiums. Shop around is good advice.

I had some AAMI work done at Capital Repairs in Vic. Shocking job. Am taking the car back under their lifetime warranty.

Job was so poor, even my wife could see the repaint. Has swirls in it. Can see where the new paint starts and the old paint stops.

Cancelled all policies.

Never again.

• 3 weeks later...

Agree with above re be careful with AAMI. My understanding is that you do not have a choice of repairer. You can get quotes from anyone but it's unlikely to beat the low ball from the "AAMI approved" repairer. I've had one car repaired by AAMI and it was a dodgy job. I'll avoid AAMI regardless of how cheap they are.

Interestingly Shannons belong to AAMI (unless they have changed) but they have their own policies and don't have to follow AAMI rules.

I have a personal import 991 that I need to get insurance. Does anyone know if they insurers actively ask if the car is imported and will they refuse a claim if I don't mention it? My UK 991 is the same as an Aussie delivered 991 so parts/replacement cost does nto really differ from an Aussie 991.

Here is the link for RACV classic. I was insured with RACV for 25 years without a claim. When I rang and cancelled a policy for my XE ESP they never batted an eyelid and certainly didn't mention a classic area. Might try them again. Thanks for the info Simon.

http://www.racv.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/racv/Internet/Primary/insurance/car+insurance/veteran,+vintage+_+classic

Cheers Steve

IAG = NRMA, SGIC,CGU,SGIO,WFI,LUMLEY Insurance (inc LSV) Swann and a joint venture with RAVC.

RACQ is apparently now the only solely owned Club Insurer in Australia.

Suncorp Group = AAMI, APIA,JUST CAR,SHANNONS,IMR (Insure My Ride), GIO,VERO,BINGLE and CIL (Caravans)

Common sense would suggest finding the product that meets your requirements, then compare prices. 

If you found out your insurance does not cover what you thought it would only after you had to claim, you probably did not do the above and bought based on price.

Had a call from GIO yesterday, he was polite and spoke clearly with an Australian accent, not pushy at all.

With windscreen cover, limited 8000 Km, no claims, good driving record, $108 per month and maximum agreed on a 930 is $72,500 !! Company policy.

Did he get my business ?

Hey OZ, dae ye hae a problem wie people who dinnae hae a skippy accent?  :ph34r:

Only the ones I can't understand ! 

Had a call on Christmas Eve who I had a hard time understanding and wanted to know what I had everything insured with.  Wouldn't hang up……"can we call you back at a later date?."

Yeah sure (read: just hang up a leave me alone)

Spose I was surprised when the call back came and could understand every word and wasn't pushy

Archived