Car colour and resale value

Can't access the original article right now , but here's a summary. 8.2% might not seem much,  until you do the sums.

However ,  we don't just choose according to colour...do we? (Amanda excepted  ;) )

Want a car that will hold its value better than the rest? Forget going with the most popular options of white, grey or black – a new report has found that orange and yellow cars will depreciate less. Research conducted by iSeeCars.com suggests that over five years, brighter hues such as yellow and orange will lose less value than the colours most people choose. The US-based site claims to have analysed 20 million used cars from 1981 to 2010, coming up with an average cost of depreciation by calculating the original price of cars, the used car price, and aggregating the colours to determine the value drops for each colour. According to the findings, the yellow cars held up best, with an average depreciation rate of 26.2 per cent over five years. Orange performed the next best, at 27.2 per cent, followed by green (31.3 per cent), teal (31.4 per cent), red (31.7 per cent) and beige/brown/gold (33.3 per cent). The more popular colours fared worse. Blue cars were bang-on the industry average in holding 33.6 per cent of their value, while white (33.7 per cent), silver (34.0 per cent) and grey (34.2 per cent) were near the bottom of the ladder. Black was the worst performing colour, with average depreciation over a 60-month period of 34.4 per cent. Popular colours, then, appear to lose their value faster due to the fact there are more cars available in those hues to choose from. “While a popular car colour like black or silver may get more interest and sell faster, our analysis indicates it may not get as high a value as a car, say, in yellow,” said iSeeCars.com CEO and co-founder Phong Ly. “Scarcity may account for the difference – only 1.1% of all cars are yellow and orange; if teal and green are included, the percentage still goes up to just five per cent. The dearth of supply of such colours may drive prices up.” The type of car can alter the value it can retain, too. According to the analysis, less common car-colour combinations – such as yellow SUVs or teal convertibles – lose less value than more conservatively-coloured examples of those types of car. 

i've never understood why white/grey/black/silver are desirable for resale for a Porsche, the colours of the 1970s were what made them so cool (orange, eggplant, blue, green, rose)

i've never understood why white/grey/black/silver are desirable for resale for a Porsche, the colours of the 1970s were what made them so cool (orange, eggplant, blue, green, rose)

The 90s heralded a new grim era. Cars are utilitarian , not playthings.

Notice how many small cars are coloured , but family vehicles are serious and staid?

I won't bang on about colours and safety; ratings do not reflect accident prevention do they? 

Popular colours, then, appear to lose their value faster due to the fact there are more cars available in those hues to choose from. “While a popular car colour like black or silver may get more interest and sell faster, our analysis indicates it may not get as high a value as a car, say, in yellow,”

Conversely, “popular” colours may command higher prices due to simple fact that they are more popular (greater demand) and less popular colours lower prices. Sometimes they are less popular for a very good reason! The terrible baby poo brown and harlequin colours of the 90s spring to mind.

My take on it is people associated Porsches with masculinity & modernity, hence the past trends to paint in red/black/silver , update kits, widebody guards...a cheap mid year in a green, could easily be upgraded to look like an expensive modern black porsche in the early 90's.. shops like exotic cars really exploited this in the 90's and early 00's and turned over many modified cars..

I quite like the metallic brown that came out on the early 997's ... and hoping that might translate to a competitevely priced car on the used car market soon :)

And who would have thought there were enough teal coloured cars actually sold to make a representative sample. Maybe I should stop being critical of my own selection (although I will admit it was not a colour I was looking for)

Popular colours, then, appear to lose their value faster due to the fact there are more cars available in those hues to choose from. “While a popular car colour like black or silver may get more interest and sell faster, our analysis indicates it may not get as high a value as a car, say, in yellow,”

Conversely, “popular” colours may command higher prices due to simple fact that they are more popular (greater demand) and less popular colours lower prices. Sometimes they are less popular for a very good reason! The terrible baby poo brown and harlequin colours of the 90s spring to mind.

Yeah, I no wanted a brown 930 Turbo, no way.  Ask JustJames, is stupid idea...never sell.  Unicorns.

Is black a colour?

Anyway colours go in and out of fashion over the centuries. Any romantic poets or clergymen out there driving Porsches ? Speak now - or have your tongues cut out.

Black was one of the first colors used by artists in neolithic cave paintings. In the 14th century, it began to be worn by royalty, the clergy, judges and government officials in much of Europe. It became the color worn by English romantic poets, businessmen and statesmen in the 19th century, and a high fashion color in the 20th century.

In the Roman Empire, it became the color of mourning, and over the centuries it was frequently associated with death, evil, witches and magic. As in the Western World today, it is also the color most commonly associated with mourning, evil, magic, the end, violence, power, secrets, and elegance.

Any romantic poets or clergymen out there driving Porsches ? Speak now - or have your tongues cut out.

"Fashion is such that the unsophisticated masses are at a loss to comprehend it, which is the fundamental basis for it's origin."

Oh yeah...who would want a brown 930?!

Larry_Chen_Speedhunters_930_turbo_porsch

Yeah, I no wanted a brown 930 Turbo, no way. Ask JustJames, is stupid idea...never sell. Unicorns.

Simple solution.......wrap it.

You can have any bloody colour you want these days. My neighbour up here has a Gallardo that has "changed" from white, to matte black, to iridum blue and is now orange......all in a year!

And the quality on his is flawless

Have been toying with the idea of turning my White Targa into Mexico Blue when I get back.

How long does it take to find a lover or Arena Red?

Do I have to make a choice?  Can't I have both?

Colors go in and out of fashion.  The late 80s greys and mid 80s dark blue interiors are not nice to the eye for me right now.  But for some reason I love bright red when I once thought it was ghastly.

But I am over white as a paint colour.  We get it, already.

Make mine metallic deep blue with some nice shiny brightwork.  On any car.

I agree when I was looking for my 993 I really wanted any colour than silver or black and as for the interior black or gray that didn’t interest me at all, luckily I found a car with an extensive and over maintained history in Arena Red with cashmere interior magic combination, the plain interiors looked to cheep for me. and I was happy to pay a bit more for the privilege.

I just sold a Chicane Yellow 370z.

It took 2 months to move. I listed it higher than all others by $5,000 and negotiated down to what others where listed for.

Yellow isn't popular but those that love it really want it. Add to that, they don't do Yellow any longer in the z car so it makes it more desirable as well.

For me a car isn't an investment as such, and even if it was, buying a colour for re-sale is just stupid. Buy what you like and personally  I prefer anything not dull. As stated earlier it's a sports car and should shout it :)

it's a sports car and should shout it :)

Indeed. Though today I'm in a GT car and thus bellowing in a rather continental fashion,  rather than shouting . As someone said , noisy pipes save lives.

my dear old mother bought her car because she liked the colour particularly.. i remember her skipping through carsales ads and getting excited once she saw it. didn't know a thing about the car, or give a rat's ass about what model it was, was just happy it wasn't silver/white/black etc haha. very strange colour it is too:

ogGaI9U.jpg

yIQMuRD.jpg

lh5IREn.jpg

5mgYugb.jpg

Guest Harold

All colours look great, some look better on different cars. You don't see too many exotic cars and think "yuk". Surely the appeal is in the eyes of the beholder.

Archived