History of RHD 914 conversions in Australia

I live in Belfast, Northern Ireland, and am the proud owner of an ex-Australian RHD 914 (1972) - it won the Porsche Club GB regional concours last month - see "Best in Show" photo.  I am interested in the history of this car and more generally in the history of RHD conversions of 914s in Australia.  My car was originally purchased in the US (traces of the US side repeaters can be seen within the front wings), it was originally Adriatic Blue but by the time it left Australia in 2009 (sold by Lorbek Luxury Cars of Port Melbourne) was its current "pearlescent purple" colour. The Australian reg. no was IXXI69 - indeed it still bears its last Australian tax sticker.  The chassis/VIN is 4722916129. The RHD conversion is of a very high standard - unitary dash and sill-inset handbrake - I suspect done using either a kit shipped from Crayford in England or using the Crayford tooling after it was sold off by Crayford. I am the second UK owner of the car, having bought it in 2012.  Photos include the dask/handbrake and also the car enjoying the Northern Ireland "spring" last year - conditions it probably never faced back in Oz!

post-1877-0-29476300-1404467517_thumb.jp

post-1877-0-96035500-1404467528_thumb.jp

post-1877-0-50428800-1404467562_thumb.jp

Hi Peter tasty car. If its the same purple car I'm thinking it is then I had a contact with oz owner early this year. Ill dig up the email.

He sold the car and moved OS. off hand I think Europe somewhere.

Cheers michel

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

G'day Peter, great car, and welcome to our Forum. You may have tried this already, but have you contacted Lorbek, I am sure they should still have records of the transaction, re the previous owner, and who they sold it to. Worth a try. The old Rego IXX 169 should make it reasonably easy.

• 1 year later...

Nice car Craig - did you paint the roof? Was it PR Technology or W.Gunning who did the conversion?

Hi Michel,

The roof was silver when I bought it; not sure whether it was delivered like that but I would doubt it. Am going to get the roof stone guarded and painted matte black, also have vinyl for the sails section and the chrome trims for the 'performance group pack'.

I also have factory front and rear steel valance panels that I brought in from the States; am going to remove the 916-style front spolier.

I think Warren was PR Technology; yes he did the conversion.

Cheers

Craig

• 2 weeks later...

It's a replica of the car with the same build date/birthday as me.....number plate/wheels/rhd conversion/extra side mirror/white rear lenses,even the plaque on the dash,just like the original. Hope I'll be able to put a 1:32 mini-me in there one day.

...so yes...tragic!

That's tragic.

I love it!!

It's a replica of the car with the same build date/birthday as me.....number plate/wheels/rhd conversion/extra side mirror/white rear lenses,even the plaque on the dash,just like the original. Hope I'll be able to put a 1:32 mini-me in there one day.

...so yes...tragic!

OCD replica/tribute model building.   I'm not alone. :wacko:

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
9 minutes ago, Bruce trengove said:

Hi , can you tell me who owns this car now as I use to own it ? Cheers Bruce 

Hi Bruce,

I ended up purchasing it from the chap In Brisbane that you sold it to some years later. I sold it to another PFA member who commenced and nearly completed a full GT Clone build, but he sold it before engine installation. 

I am not sure where it is now unfortunately, was a great car as a 914 and looked a fantastic GT clone when sold.

Cheers

Craig

• 8 months later...