Back in black.....

The first 911 I bought was a black 964RS, in 2000 as I recall.

Life's been full of 911's ever since, and Ive learnt a lot, enjoyed them all, and feel very privileged to have had each and every one. Theres no such thing as a bad 911, and my garage, whilst often changing, always has a Porsche flavour.

After a bit of effort, and the sale of my GT2 here I am finally with another RS, this time a 993 RSCS.

Those of you who follow such things might know it as Ian Knights car, a veteran of Targa Tasmania's and various Porsche Club Victoria events during Ian's fifteen years of ownership.

From my perspective, I know it as one of the 13 delivered new in Australia, of which only 12 survive, and the only one not banged up in competition. It is as straight as a die, very well maintained, and about as collectible as a 911 can be.

Im looking forward to continuing the cars motor sport history, keeping up the good fight as it were, against those dastardly modern water cooled things known as GT3's.

As always, I am just the custodian, but I intend to be a very fast custodian, and to enjoy the full experience of owning this wonderful 911. I hope some of you enjoy the ride with me, as Im always happy to share the experience, so don't be afraid to tap me on the shoulder if you would like a ride. Thats how all this started for me years ago.

imagejpg9_zps406a0c92.jpg

I did. It was lovely and I wish it well with its new owner, but.........

Every time I drive my 993 Turbo it makes me happy.

Every time I remember my 964RS and my 993RS Touring I remember the good times.

When I delivered the GT2 to the shipping company after a cracking drive there, I was happy handing over the keys. It gets exciting at speeds I don't want to do these days.

And Ive spent the past four years trying to buy that RSCS from Ian, without ever getting the damn timing right. In the end, I had to make it happen, and the GT2 was the oil that made the wheel turn.

Well done Simon. I have just landed at Paris CDG and nearly fell off my chair when I saw this thread.

I know that car well from my time in PCV while Ian was president. It's been used for it's intended purpose and sounds like you will continuer to do that.

Love the colour :)

Cheers

C

Thanks Chris

Enjoy Paris, we are jealous.

Ive had to keep quiet about this for a while, but now its out Im sure there will be a few surprised watchers.

Whilst Im not going to try to justify this or any other Porsche move I might make, I can invoke the old "find me another one" argument.

Ive looked at three over the years and not one was straight, nor as loved. Such is life for old race cars.

It occurred to me while writing this that, aside from anything else, how often do you get to buy a car that has the word "sport" twice in its name?

Cant think of any others and it sums its nature up nicely.

I dont know Ian other than by our phone contact, but I appreciate his approach towards his car and this sale, and he may well chip in here over time. I hope so.

Next time I am in WA, I'm heading south and tapping that shoulder of yours. Loved it as soon as I saw it on the interweb.

Ps. So you decided not to buy that white T with the desirable non-matching numbers engine for just a slightly lower price?

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. Love the Batman and Robin. Im sure Andy my co-driver will be amused, but not as much as his wife.

The black beauty is being shipped on the 21st according to CEVA, with delivery in WA on August the 1st.

Two weeks from booking, not too bad by CEVA standards.

Would you believe that there is another black RS in WA? A Touring (M002) version, with 8,000kms on it. The owner and I have farms within 10kms of each other. His RS, of which he is the original owner, has a wooden dash option. Must be the only one in the world we think. Must try to get a photo of them together for posterity one day.

Wow, very nice Simon!

Out of curiosity how did you fare out of the GT2 ownership/sale?

Not too badly. Using my excellent man mathematics, what I have made this year on the 993 Turbo has paid for the RSCS plus the GT2. Or put in more logical form, i was offered a trade on the GT2 that justified the purchase of the RS. If I hadn't been able to trade the GT2, it wouldn't have been a deal. Im absolutely certain of two things. Firstly the RS will only appreciate, and secondly the GT2 wont, so I think the gap was as close as it will ever be, and the Turbo has gained in value more than the difference. It was close to a straight swap, so its was a pretty simple deal in the end.

Not too badly. Using my excellent man mathematics, what I have made this year on the 993 Turbo has paid for the RSCS plus the GT2. Or put in more logical form, i was offered a trade on the GT2 that justified the purchase of the RS. If I hadn't been able to trade the GT2, it wouldn't have been a deal. Im absolutely certain of two things. Firstly the RS will only appreciate, and secondly the GT2 wont, so I think the gap was as close as it will ever be, and the Turbo has gained in value more than the difference. It was close to a straight swap, so its was a pretty simple deal in the end.

Perfect outcome Simon!  Pleased for you for being able live the Porsche Dream to the Extreme!

So it was the GT2 sharing transport over to VIC? I would have happily picked that up for you, do you need someone to deliver the 993! Actually, remembering your previous employee experience I don't think I want to go there................hope they can get it onto the transport without issue (being so low).

Congratulations again mate, glad you managed to get a deal done.

Archived