The Simonk 996 - some personal touches

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Jim. Looks like the Mods on Rennlist have a full time job policing. Just so Im clear, are we not buying Fabspeed because the product is crap or is it because the owner is a dill?

Hey Jim. Looks like the Mods on Rennlist have a full time job policing. Just so Im clear, are we not buying Fabspeed because the product is crap or is it because the owner is a dill?

From what I've seen its a case of both.

Simon, not sure if you are aware but FD Motorsports do a 996 muffler. These are the people that Theo, Steve Porter, Niko and myself got our sports mufflers from.

C

Yeah Im torn about their system. I couldn't buy one knowing it's a $250 mod to the stock system but if I do it to my stock mufflers and don't like it, I no longer have the stock ones to put back on. I should just go and do it. I'm sure I could pick up some second hand ones cheap off eBay if I want to bring it back to stock

Spent lots of time avoiding the mother in-law finishing the stereo install on the weekend. The remainig work was to just install the front speakers as I retained the factory rear ones. Again, what I thought would be a simple job turned out not to be. The dash board speaker I knew was going to be a problem and I was quite proud of what I created. The idea was to remove the factory 4" speaker and separate tweeter and have my componenet tweeter hidden behind the grill instead. The problem is there's nothing to mount my tweeters to under there. So I removed the speaker from the grill and made a plate for the tweater to sit in which then screwed to the back of the speaker grill. I made the plate out of packaging cardboard. Strong enough to support the weight of the tweater and super easy to shape.

The door cards were quite easy to get off. I watched some Youtube videos beforehand so I knew what to expect. The 996 has plastic speaker boxes that mount to the doors. They work quite well but of course, my speakers didn't fit, even though on paper they're the same size as the factory speakers. So it was out with the file to make the holes a bit bigger and in the end they fit nicely.

So the first door took 2 hours, the second door 1 hour as I knew what I was doing. The headunit took 5 hours and the tweeter mounts took maybe an hour so 9 hours all up. All worth it though and it sounds great. Next will be a subwoofer or two to finish it off but I need to work out the best option for this car. Maybe 2 x 8" or 1 x 10" boxed on the rear shelf.

God they were interesting to read! :lol:

SimonK I have fabspeed on my car... I dont think it sounds that great to be honest, look around a bit more. The headers are nice though

God they were interesting to read! :lol:

SimonK I have fabspeed on my car... I dont think it sounds that great to be honest, look around a bit more. The headers are nice though

yours were bought way back when and should be fine, but holy balls that video is unprofessional :lol:

i did get a lol out of yanks bitching about exhausts not made in america, then buying up euromeister wheels as fast as they can be made haha.

yours were bought way back when and should be fine, but holy balls that video is unprofessional :lol:

i did get a lol out of yanks bitching about exhausts not made in america, then buying up euromeister wheels as fast as they can be made haha.

Really want the cup car sound... It's not raspy enough the fabspeed, but that also means new bumper for centre exit

Well, I've searched to the edges of the internet and listened to as many exhausts as I could find and have come to the conclusion that watercooled engines just don't sound that great. You can chuck anything on and it will sound great at WOT but most systems sound like a fart box when just cruising around which is the majority of the time for me. The best sounding systems on youtube seemed to be the muffler bypass pipes but 99% of people say they're unbearable or sound crap. For now I'm going to stick with the stock exhaust until I come across something in real life that impresses me. I can't fork out $2k for a system that might or might not sound good to my ears.

Congrats on the new purchase, great read..

I remember you saying sometime you would never sell the Clubby as you tow the boat with it, I'm assuming you do that with the Cayenne sitting in the driveway.

Is there anything after market that is bi-modal? The factory 997 sports exhaust sounds great under acceleration, but I turn it off when not giving it the beans. Sounds good to my ears, but not quite as good as the mezger in the GT3s under load. You also get the odd crackle and burble on overrun which sounds pretty good to me.

Congrats on the new purchase, great read..

I remember you saying sometime you would never sell the Clubby as you tow the boat with it, I'm assuming you do that with the Cayenne sitting in the driveway.

Thanks Josh. Yes things change. I never thought I wouldn't have a HSV in the driveway but here we are. I'm sure I'll get another one down the track. Cayenne will do towing duties for now (until the Mrs gets jacked with its size and petrol costs).

By the way, is that your rice mobil silver S15 in the car park dumped lower than my 996 with black Works wheels?

Is there anything after market that is bi-modal? The factory 997 sports exhaust sounds great under acceleration, but I turn it off when not giving it the beans. Sounds good to my ears, but not quite as good as the mezger in the GT3s under load. You also get the odd crackle and burble on overrun which sounds pretty good to me.

Fabspeed have Valvetronic or something. There's also the PSE system. Both are more than what I want to spend. I've just emailed Fister to see if they'll do an exhaust without muffler exchange and see if it's economical to do so. Probably the wrong word to use when referring to anything Porsche...

Ha ha. I remember reading you'd bought an S15 and when I saw a slammed one in the car park, I thought it had to be yours. Love those wheels. One of my all time favourites. I wish the Australian aftermarket made wheels as nice as Works and Rays.

These bad boys just arrived on my doorstep with a Caramelo Koala :D . Very nice, quality looking product. In the end, it was price and availability that won which really isn't the way to buy an exhaust system but we'll see how they go. They're the Super Sound version which is their loudest option. I always said I wanted an exhaust as obnoxious as T-Man's...Hopefully they sound ok with the Tiptronic. Fingers crossed I can find some time this weekend to install them.

14900076451_9f9454ae03_z.jpgIMG_3702 by Simonk76, on Flickr

14902790722_af920ff7ce_z.jpgIMG_3701 by Simonk76, on Flickr

What sort of price are they, +/- a caramello...???

Keen to hear them when fitted up!

Hey Trev. It was a similar price to what the Eurpoeans pay which is refreshing given most things these days seem to cop the "I live in Aus tax and the Porsche tax". eurocarparts.com has them for sale for 629GBP. I paid slightly more than that including shipping from JustJames. Comparing to other brands:

Fabspeed Supercup $1,800

Fabspeed Maxflow $2100

Milltek $2100

Supersprint $2100

Cargraphic $2400

Fister no response

Quicksilver $3,000

These are all Aus sellers. Buying from OS didn't seem to be much cheaper once shipping was factored in.

The Dansk are an absolute bargain compared to anything else on the market. I'll bring the 996 along to SMT in Sept so you'll be able to have a listen then.

Archived