The Simonk 996 - some personal touches

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Trev. It was a similar price to what the Eurpoeans pay which is refreshing given most things these days seem to cop the "I live in Aus tax and the Porsche tax". eurocarparts.com has them for sale for 629GBP. I paid slightly more than that including shipping from JustJames. Comparing to other brands:

The Dansk are an absolute bargain compared to anything else on the market. I'll bring the 996 along to SMT in Sept so you'll be able to have a listen then.

Sounds like good value.  I look forward to hearing them!

I don't know what to say. I'm a little speechless but don't know what to think of them. I've done the exhaust on every car I've owned and not one has come close to being as loud as these. In car with the windows up is fine. No drone unbelievably. Floor it and it sounds like it's going to blow the windows out. Windows down and holy smoke...it sounds like a cup car blasting down the main straight of Philip Island! So so loud. You can't stop grinning until you realise that every single person within a 3km radius is looking at you and not in admiration. I give it a week before my car is canaried, either by a passing cop or a neighbour complaining.

So, I'm not sure if this was the best choice. The "Sport Exhaust" version which is their version between this and OEM would have been the right one to get. I guess I'll stick with it for a bit and see what happens when it carbons up. It will certainly be challening T-mans for DB supremacy at the SMT.

I don't know what to say. I'm a little speechless but don't know what to think of them. I've done the exhaust on every car I've owned and not one has come close to being as loud as these. In car with the windows up is fine. No drone unbelievably. Floor it and it sounds like it's going to blow the windows out. Windows down and holy smoke...it sounds like a cup car blasting down the main straight of Philip Island! So so loud. You can't stop grinning until you realise that every single person within a 3km radius is looking at you and not in admiration. I give it a week before my car is canaried, either by a passing cop or a neighbour complaining.

So, I'm not sure if this was the best choice. The "Sport Exhaust" version which is their version between this and OEM would have been the right one to get. I guess I'll stick with it for a bit and see what happens when it carbons up. It will certainly be challening T-mans for DB supremacy at the SMT.

You *could* always drive it quietly in your neighbourhood?

can you post a vid? or even better, what time you leaving work today?

I'm actualy parked next to you today Josh but I'm about to bail from work as I'm not feeling the best. I'll see if I can take some footage over the weekend.

Here's a little video of the exhaust. The GoPro mic isn't that great but I think you'll get the idea. I think I've decided this exhaust would be great on a manual and definitely the one I'd want if the car was a weekender. Being a tiptronic and a daily drive, I'm pretty sure I'm going to replace it with something a bit more sedate. The last part of the movie shows the cruising noise and to me it's not really pleasant and it's really only because it's a tiptronic car. I also made my 2 year old cry when I gave it a bit of a rev in the driveway. The look on my wife's face was one of displeasure also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7dOw6UjO9U

• 3 weeks later...

I love aircraft noise and loud cars!

I put the Dansk mufflers back on the car on Friday. I was going to look into ways of quietening them down a bit, including getting some car chemistry inserts. Driving into work this morning, I had the windows down and roof open driving through the CBD and decided to mash the loud pedal into the floor. There's this god almighty roar and I was thinking "they may be bloody loud but geez it sounds good" when the echo off the buildings came bouncing back at me and I couldn't stop laughing.

Archived