TargaWest 2014 August 14-17

Simonoz

We're in. Our PFA stickered captain Smurf, the powder blue 74 Carrera RS, is fully serviced and ready to go. Andy and I somewhat less so. Whilst firmly anchored in the gentleman racing division of the Competition Category, we are hopeful of a good finishing result. The satisfaction we have had in getting this little mission to this point is immense, and we are looking forward to four days of flat out fun.

Last weekends Rallysprint resulted in the rear wheel bearings crying enough, and the front strut brace creaking under load. Both fixed. Car is flying now its run in, the valves have been done and oil changed. Adjusting the valves made a significant difference to the tune.

imagejpg2_zpsfbb3e7a4.jpg

Just been advised of the start order and we are car 31 this time around. TW runs live timing so if you're interested you can log in and see just how slow we really are, in the Gentlemens Racing Division.

• 4 weeks later...

Event is over. All good. Starting conservatively, we ran harder each day, culminating in second and third places on the last three stages on day four. We finished 8th in Competition Classic at the end, which felt about right given its a new car and crew, in an event we haven't done before. All credit to RJP Motorsport, Richo and his service crew Lee and Barnesy doing a very efficient job of looking after us. We certainly learnt a few tricks which we will put to good use next time. The event suffered from a lot of expensive carnage as usual, and there will be lots of cheque book pain coming up for some.

The car is terrific, needing only a service now despite the hard use. Tough little critters these early 911's.

We will take out the race gearset and replace them with a more suitable ratio set, revalve the Bilsteins and drop the spindles, and thats about it.

There are plenty of photos on the Targa West website and I will load some up here when Ive recovered somewhat. Thanks to those of you that followed our adventure and sent messages of goodwill. Most appreciated. Sadly I don't seem to have any photos of the PFA sticker on the car but I will remedy that when I see the car next.

Hard at work uphill at the Zig Zag on day2

2A3BB2C8-8EB6-4DDE-A881-CBAA3F3336F0_zps

Parked outside Liquorland. As if!

1A425B43-08BC-4261-B8DB-DD61F9379C7E_zps

Night stage at Malaga. Looks like we've got air, but that cant be right because we did that during the day at Whiteman Park.

F9B90CB9-D6DC-4E0D-8A3D-7A78862B8744_zps

Archived