The Benz Appreciation Thread

I decided to start a Merc appreciation thread to flush out all those three-pointed star admirers.

14605314340_896fe46df4.jpg

The above photo is the family car preparing for a road trip to destination unknown, date unknown but probably late 1970s.  Authentic instagram look not done by filters.  Sadly I know the vehicle in question is deceased, left to rot in a car yard.  The sound of that buzzy glorious injected straight six, rich red interior and massive steering wheel are etched into the memory.

Show us your favourite Benz pictures!

My friend has a 420SLE W126. chopped the exhaust, lowered it and is on 'hammers' sounds good but its slow. 

Another mate had a CLK 320 convertible. had the 63 amg kit on it done properly with the exhaust tips done correctly (all because he loves the look of them but the P plate law) now regrets selling it. Just because it was a reliable car and he enjoyed driving it. 

I have mentioned this before , but here is my great Uncle's pride & Joy , in the Pyrenees. He drove it around Europe regularly as part of his tour of duty as a Jesuit priest. I did get to ride in it in 1973 , through some typically narrow Cotswold lanes. Though the car was not exactly endowed with neck snapping acceleration , when caning along country lanes (Uncle was a closet petrolhead) one gained a sense of thrill and a modicum of fear. There were no seat belts and some very large trucks and tractors in the region!

I guess with one of God's soldier's driving , there was no risk of harm  :) 

pyrenees2.jpg

He was obsessional and very mechanically minded , doing all his own maintenance and I recall an immaculate factory toolkit.

Spain.jpg

Until 1988 this car was still registered but the trail has gone cold , probably rusted away like so many. There's one similar FS in Hobart for ~20K.

190S.jpg

I remember reading an article about a very high mileage 300SL.  Some guy had it in Europe and drove it all over the place and did something like 400k miles in it.  Your photos remind me of that guy - just getting around Europe in the 60s - no other cars on the road- having a grand old time.

Speaking of SLs, here's a pic of one next to an SLS back when they were launched.  I think this might be the Bowdens SL

14770132106_63c39e208a_b.jpg

250CE where someone had slotted in the M110 2.8 engine - it was my first car and the vinyl/Bathurst globes weren't to everyones taste lol

250CE.jpg

450SEL in ikon gold with the peeling clearcoat (as they all have) - trying to find a pic

We had a lime green '230.4' 4-door in that model for a while.

A bit more about the ancient uncle. Amongst other adventures he shrugged off 2-3 explosions in WW2 and survived when his driver was killed.

picnic3.jpg

This is from his apparently famous religious work; I wouldn't say he was obsessed with cars but even I couldn't pen this sort of stuff

CliffWOUR.jpg

Apparently the original C'était un rendez-vous movie was shot in a Benz, with the sounds of a Ferrari added later....

One of the aircooled guys in Canberra has a MANUAL 250SE for sale.  It's a cream colour over red leather.  It's super neat.

If anyone's interested I can see if he's happy for me to put up some pics.

My latest family car is a Merc - I don't think we'll be able to go back now. If the objective is to lounge chair while you drive, a Merc is where its at.

Not mine, but this is owned by a family member:

SLS.jpg

Sounds awesome.

That's awesome tazzieman ^^ 

My heart is with the W124's and the reason for that is back in 1992 (I was 9) my whole family flew to Indonesia for a long family holiday the first stop was the island of Bali.. My uncle had met us there a few days later in one of his W124 300E's (he had two of them one grey, one aqua) it was from there that our family of 5 crammed into the car with my uncle and his driver.. so 7 of us in total. :lol: 

After our time in Bali was up, we put the car on a ferry and headed to the mainland Java where we would spend the next 6 weeks or so going across the country and visiting all different sites and relatives. 

This is roughly the journey we took, I am sure it was longer back then? 

ScreenShot2014-08-04at23612PM_zps66b7a7e

Anyhow, this trip left a profound effect on me.... I didn't know a lot back then about cars except it was a 300E Mercedes Benz and that my family was far too poor to own one. 

I have a W124 Estate now, nothing special but I get all nostalgic every time I'm in it and often think of my now late uncle. 

I might look for a nice sedan in the same colour/s one day. 

Will see if I can find the photos of this trip or my w124. 

My latest family car is a Merc - I don't think we'll be able to go back now. If the objective is to lounge chair while you drive, a Merc is where its at.

Not mine, but this is owned by a family member:

SLS.jpg

Sounds awesome.

What's in the cocoons?

I inherited a '69 250 from my grandfather but had to sell it due to rust and no time or funds to do anything with it at the time.

Enjoyed driving it a lot.  I'd love to build a replica of the Red Pig too, though my favorite is the fintail models and Pullman limos.

picture4.jpg

What's in the cocoons?

The green is definitely (to my eye) an e-type, just checked the other photos in that series, and the other bubble has a red e-type in it. What you can't see is the yellow e-type I'm standing next to when I took the photo also in a bubble.