The Benz Appreciation Thread

Can anyone provide some assistance on how can one determine if an older 70's merc was Aussie delivered?

thanks

hi Spirit

On the front radiator support panel there is the vin plate and a build plate. Build plate is usually painted same colour as the car.  On the right hand side it should have a '9' being AU delivered and '625' being AU build. Some AU cars don't have the 9 if they were ordered as an AU build/compliance but euro delivery. Some of the well healed in the 70's ordered their cars and then picked them up at the factory then drove around Europe and then shipped them home. You also want a vin that is a 22 ie 108 22 which is RHD.  Some coupes have been converted and their VIN is a 21.  What model are you looking at?

MB's are pretty easy to get data on. If you are unsure get the vin and go and post it on OZ Benz.net and one of the guys should be able to decode it for you or PM me with a photo of the build plate and I'll let you know. Example attached plate on right

IMG_0457_zpsdy3oliuy.jpg

Ruined! Where can I get one? ?

http://www.stanceworks.com/2016/12/dkubus-mike-poll-jonkers-unique-take-on-the-mercedes-c107-slc-coupe/

Easy. First you source one that isn't rooted. They rust and there are lots from the UK and Hong Kong.  Then you spend heaps getting it up to speed (Porsche 928 equivalent build cost). Then  you call in the RWB guy, and someone who can turn your overdraft into a suspension/wheel/tyre package for the look you're after.

Then we can talk about engine mods...

Today I saw the patina'd Pagoda I tried to buy (more like steal) from the owner earlier this year. I didn't know what they were worth at the time, so it was no wonder I copped some less than nice comments from the son when he rang me!  Bucket list car the Pagoda

Bucket list car the Pagoda

They are the 901s of the Benz range but a tatty one is $$$ to repair properly (even compared to the sedan of the era). Don't leave it in the bottom of the bucket for too much longer. We're all keen to get one!

ccc2002ead8815f893afa7bfcee4ad40.jpg

And now the R107s are going up in price as a result. Bloody investors!

The bones of it was pretty good, though minor rust spots didn't put me off, nor did the faded paint. I offered $20k and the owner accepted it, so I left my number and then realised I needed to try n find $20k sharpish! Ofcourse the son put a very quick end to it, and said I'd need to stump up $80k. Bastardo!  That's when I checked online for values. Still think it was worth well under $50k though

The bones of it was pretty good, though minor rust spots didn't put me off, nor did the faded paint. I offered $20k and the owner accepted it, so I left my number and then realised I needed to try n find $20k sharpish! Ofcourse the son put a very quick end to it, and said I'd need to stump up $80k. Bastardo!  That's when I checked online for values. Still think it was worth well under $50k though

"They are all $100,000 cars" :)

I'm with you Lee as pagoda is on my bucket list but now my wallets only as good as a 230SL due to prices. If it was a 280 you offered on even $80k in a couple of years will look cheap as they have risen sharply.  A number of these have now gone off shore and pushing the prices up which is happening to a few of the classic MB models such as 3.5 coupes, 6.3 300SEL and sl190. I know a guy thats shipped 3 x 280SL's to Indonesia and Malaysia in recent years as they are wanting classics now.  I'm hunting a 6.3 for a mate and challenge for a good original AU delivered is fighting off the Brits that are paying overs as everything there has rusted away.?

Im thinking a crusty UK aircooled targa is probably as close to a wind in the receeding hair (if I buy quickly) as I will get as they are still under $100k

Yeah, found that out after I'd offered $20k. Kinda felt bad to the bloke, though he was happy with it

Maybe I'll find one onsite one day, as that happens a fair bit with old cars. 

was at a mates on Sunday and a similar story. His dad has a Finny which he had from new very oiriginal and I am first option outside of family to buy it when he kicks on. Short story took it to a mechanic to get brakes fixed who convinced him not worth fixing and he would take it off his hands for $1k. Did the deal told his son, so the grandson who was furious (and a large kid) paid a visit to the mechanic the next day and  he helped the mechanic understand his poor decision and lack of judgement in taking advantage of an 85yo and it's now back in their hands.

Edited by Tips

Found a pic of the car I offered to buy. I would have left it as it is and just driven it.

Like I mentioned, I did feel bad about offering a low price, yet in my defense (defence?), I had no idea of values. This one had some small issues, but I could live with it

20160117_162746.jpeg

was at a mates on Sunday and a similar story. His dad has a Finny which he had from new very oiriginal and I am first option outside of family to buy it when he kicks on. Short story took it to a mechanic to get brakes fixed who convinced him not worth fixing and he would take it off his hands for $1k. Did the deal told his son, so the grandson who was furious (and a large kid) paid a visit to the mechanic the next day and  he helped the mechanic understand his poor decision and lack of judgement in taking advantage of an 85yo and it's now back in their hands.

Even a Finny is quite pricey to recommission. Subframe mounts , pivot bolt axle , trailing arm bushings, steering joints (lots) ,  brakes , bearings rear , propshaft coupling , king pins & wishbone bushings = easily $5k with labour , some expensive parts in there and not easily doable on the driveway. (As I have discovered).

When the bushes and rubber are old (10-15 years is old) the car handles horribly.

We haven't got near the engine yet. Stretched timing chain , head gasket , top end , bottom end , carbies !

Oh and rust., door seals ($$$) and the heater blower (a 20 hour job) . Interior better be good.

Beware the cheap Finny or any older Merc. Cacoethes!

• 1 month later...

http://www.motoring.com.au/amg-confirms-bathurst-12-hour-driver-line-up-105682/

Mercedes-AMG is gunning for two ‘titles’ at this weekend’s Bathurst 12 Hour (#B12Hr) endurance race.

In the race itself it has confirmed three top-notch crews in a corresponding trio of AMG GT3 race cars, while it now looks certain it will attempt a street car lap record with its latest, hottest version of the AMG GT.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Could someone shed some light on where to locate the engine number for a W108/109 3.5 ?

I've tried searching but to no avail.

It should be stamped onto the block somewhere beneath the spark plugs , towards the back. I've seen pics of the number just below the "280" number.

You may need to clean years of grunge to find it!

I've always had a thing for the 560 SEC since seeing Roadhouse with Patrick Swayze:

Just curious on any feedback as to their shortfalls and mechanical reliability? or any feedback on 80's Mercedes ownership highs and lows?

I came across this recent article comparing the Porsche 928, 560 SEC and the Jag.

http://www.executivestyle.com.au/classic-cars-that-you-should-invest-in-now-guk72s

I've always had a thing for the 560 SEC since seeing Roadhouse with Patrick Swayze:

Just curious on any feedback as to their shortfalls and mechanical reliability? or any feedback on 80's Mercedes ownership highs and lows?

I came across this recent article comparing the Porsche 928, 560 SEC and the Jag.

http://www.executivestyle.com.au/classic-cars-that-you-should-invest-in-now-guk72s

SECs can be prone to rust around the rear window. They are a heavy and generally slowish car is Aus (lower comp. ratio 238 hp here vs over 300 in Europe, not much from 5.6 litres of V8....) - a 928 rival they are not.

Any V8 Merc engine of the era has weak timing chain guides/ tensioners and these fail destroying the engine (I think around 100k they need changing..). I know a guy this happened to so he sourced a new engine, then one day that over heated and destroyed the new engine, last I heard he was putting a chev V8 in it.

I do like them and think they look great, more of a cruiser and if you get the right one could be nice, just keep on top of the timing chain! Prices are rising too......

The rest of the car is pretty robust I think.

Edited by ANF

An old and quite famous client of mine once said to an employee of high station within his business, who had just test driven a 560SEC (used car in the early 2000's); "you look like a Greek who's just won Tattslotto"

(*I love Greeks as much as the rest of ya's, re.)

You know me, just dropping in without a whisker of real knowledge, but....

One of these came (very) close past me today in Southbank as I was crossing the road into work. Other than being a prime w****r for trying to get bonus points taking out the old guy, that car sounded awesome. If ever there was a modern 928 pretender... I think mercedes gazumped porsche.

22876.thumb.jpeg.88c82be821fd1acd75cdce7

http://duttongarage.com/Mercedes-Benz-AMG-GT-C190-S-Coupe-2dr-SPEEDSHIFT-DCT-7sp-4-0TT-Oct-~22859

Best looking contemporary car they make... just sayin'...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...