The Benz Appreciation Thread

• 2 weeks later...

I see shannons is auctioning an SL 500 - a bit scruffy but expected $8k

So much car for the money!  One of the most expensive cars around when new, and still from the durable era.   But i suppose an engine rebuild if needed is 20k and so on.   I do think they will come into their own eventually.

I see shannons is auctioning an SL 500 - a bit scruffy but expected $8k

So much car for the money!  One of the most expensive cars around when new, and still from the durable era.   But i suppose an engine rebuild if needed is 20k and so on.   I do think they will come into their own eventually.

Outside looks ok, but not so the inside..... looks like a UK import listed with only 41833 miles!! Very poor condition for low mileage!? If the mileage is correct....
Condition report lists exhaust and transmission as needing work..... corroded muffler and trans leak also new tyres/ wheel alignment and the biggie, odometer inoperative..... and the next biggie, doors rusting and lower skirt rusting, and it goes on..... body filler breaking away.... roof inoperative.... RUN, don't walk away from this one!!

What is that getting auctioned for...should be getting parted out.

I thought the same..... beggars belief that a once very expensive car gets treated like this...... they will never attain the prices or desirability of the earlier models, but one day they will be worth something as a classic collectable. Maybe this one can be saved.... if you bought for maybe $1k! 

• 2 weeks later...

My '66 250S auto got a pit pass this week and today went on its first proper drive for many years . Just over a year ago it arrived needing a fair amount of TLC.

Drives beautifully , really smooth and quiet (Dynamat all over the floor and behind rear seat helps)

Drives differently from my '67 manual version. 2 flavours , both nice. They are great solid cars these Benzes.

"Needs" a repaint , but not urgent - & I'm going to have fun with this car , not make it concours.

KG1.jpg 

KG2.jpg

KG3.jpg

IMG_0039W108%20AG2.jpg

What is it with old Benzes?  I can see one in my future.  SWMBO might think otherwise.

Ladies love Benzes , take it from me.

So useful and practical and back in the day , safe

file.php?id=14205&mode=view

Edited by tazzieman

Ladies love Benzes , take it from me.

So useful and practical and back in the day , safe

img.ashx?f=v&v=489297

https://www.mbspares.com.au/Information/Howstrongisyourcar.aspx
This W114 280E (1974) ran into a bridge at 60kmh and then flipped landing on the boot and then back on its wheels! Not one undamaged panel on the car.

The passenger safty cell is still intact with the exception of the drivers door that was almost ripped off in the accident.

The main front inpact is on the l/h side but the left hand front door still opens and shuts just like it did in 1974 when the car was made. Also note that even though the car has been rolled the front windscreen is not broken.

Sorry for the poor pictures, this page was one of the first that we loaded up in 1996 when MB Spares went "online"

they sure are safe! 

Nice Taz. Love that grey and red trim on an old Benz

I reckon don't paint it, but that's me

Just about every panel is different from the others for various reasons. I agree , the patinated look is the best but one day I might grab a brush. Certainly now , I wouldn't get my money back , not that investment is on my radar.

E220 Cabriolet at Shannon's tomorrow night, 12,000km on the clock. It's like new both inside and outside, will be interesting to see what it goes for. I've been twice to look at the stuff going through, that Merc and the 3.2 Sovereign Jag are probably the pick of the bunch of the cheap end. The Jag's a one owner car, sadly has the 3.2 V8 so it's a bit of a slug, but with only 71k on the clock and a saggy headliner it's going to be a cheap smoker for someone. The tow bar in the boot makes it quite tempting...

6.3.jpg

U61446.jpg

I remember getting a ride in one of these as a young lad, all I can say is it was bloody quick to 100mph and was still accelerating hard. One of my fav Benz cars 

I've been helping a mate try and buy one for just over a year. I have test driven a few and still amazes me the torque and pull these 45 yo engines have. They are a special car and yet to find the right collectable one for him, so I get to drive a few more ??