The Benz Appreciation Thread

What is it with old Benzes?  I can see one in my future.  SWMBO might think otherwise.

My house has a 'no old benzes' rule threatened/applied.  Not sure why.  I think the ladies can detect the sickness forming.  They are cheap to buy and you could easily fill a yard with them.

Those photos - looks like blackmans bay.  About the only location in Hobart i would know by photo if I am correct.

Oh and i hope you gave the guy who decapitated the celica a good dressing down for crimes against automotive creations.

My gaze was automatically averted. How that gets an engineering seal of approval I don't know.

I have an AMG GLE63s Coupe (love/hate kind of car). It replaced an X6 :lol:

Pretty quick, one of the best exhaust notes I've heard on a car, ever. It can easily be tuned for more power and doesn't handle too bad for its size. 

IMO MB have the best options/features when compared to other manufacturers. 

Mark my words, future Australian hooligans will be driving old AMGs.  They are about to become the only high performance rear wheel drive sedans available.  They even have a car doing the 'supercars' circuit (no v8 please -politically incorrect)

the distance between a top hsv and bottom amg is not far.

Dont believe me?  Look at any country deprived of jap performance cars and you'll find hooligans in old e30s everywhere.   But BMW has been chasing the Eco crowd while AMG has been fitting big wheels and loud exhausts.

Mark my words, future Australian hooligans will be driving old AMGs.  They are about to become the only high performance rear wheel drive sedans available.  They even have a car doing the 'supercars' circuit (no v8 please -politically incorrect)

Dont believe me?  Look at any country deprived of jap performance cars and you'll find hooligans in old e30s everywhere.   But BMW has been chasing the Eco crowd while AMG has been fitting big wheels and loud exhausts.

Yes I can already picture the slammed e63's with blacked out windows and chrome 21 inch wheels doing laps ?

Why?

As in why replace X6 with the GLE? For a change I guess. 

Agreed.

Lot of A45/CLA45 doing the rounds already. Plenty of C63s. They're fun, affordable cars and still much better than Fords/Holdens (even in low end MB spec). 

I am not sure for how much longer..... just back from a month long visit to USA and Canada where virtually all new Benzes are 4matics (awd), only a matter of time until it is the standard format for MBs.....

Or US muscle cars..... drove a Dodge Callenger (sorry wrong thread but sort of on topic :) ) - loud and very proud of it's big Hemi engine and rear wheel drive!

Edited by ANF
can't spell!!

I am not sure for how much longer..... just back from a month long visit to USA and Canada where virtually all new Benzes are 4matics (awd), only a matter of time until it is the standard format for MBs.....

Or US muscle cars..... drove a Dodge Callenger (sorry wrong thread but sort of on topic :) ) - loud and very proud of it's big Hemi engine and rear wheel drive!

challengers and mustangs are a given, but are two door.  A lot of guys need to cart children as part of car spec and the niche of 4 door hooligan car was filled by fpv/hsv very uniquely.  Dodge has the charger in the USA but I've never seen one converted.  I suppose there is the 300c but it won't handle like an AMG.  Plus AMG has entry level cars upwards.   Auto is not a big deal, most hsv sales are auto.

challengers and mustangs are a given, but are two door.  A lot of guys need to cart children as part of car spec and the niche of 4 door hooligan car was filled by fpv/hsv very uniquely.  Dodge has the charger in the USA but I've never seen one converted.  I suppose there is the 300c but it won't handle like an AMG.  Plus AMG has entry level cars upwards.   Auto is not a big deal, most hsv sales are auto.

We hired 2 Chrysler 300s while we were over there, one 300 S and one 300 C. The C was AWD, which I don't think you can get here? and the S was a more "sporty" one with spoilers and low profile tyres. Both V6 but not overly grunty. True not up to MB quality or driving experience let alone AMG (the hypo one may be better?), but after over a week with these cars they quite impressed me :)

Not going to rush out and buy one but still very nice cars....

• 2 weeks later...

My '66 250S auto got a pit pass this week and today went on its first proper drive for many years . Just over a year ago it arrived needing a fair amount of TLC.

Drives beautifully , really smooth and quiet (Dynamat all over the floor and behind rear seat helps)

Drives differently from my '67 manual version. 2 flavours , both nice. They are great solid cars these Benzes.

"Needs" a repaint , but not urgent - & I'm going to have fun with this car , not make it concours.

KG1.jpg 

KG2.jpg

KG3.jpg

IMG_0039W108%20AG2.jpg

Very cool car. 

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/2017-shannons-melbourne-winter-classic-auction/UF76CS9EP5ZF442N/

0-100 in 7s in a 70s saloon weighing 2 tonnes. becoming very collectable in the UK. Favoured by F1 drivers back in the day. The Ronin car etc.

looks a well kept example and seriously doubt it will go for the money they are quoting on Shannons as that's a $30k car any day.

• 2 weeks later...

My house has a 'no old benzes' rule threatened/applied.  Not sure why.  I think the ladies can detect the sickness forming.  They are cheap to buy and you could easily fill a yard with them.

Those photos - looks like blackmans bay.  About the only location in Hobart i would know by photo if I am correct.

there's a '69 250CE in my street taunting me, but i know if i buy it I couldn't stop at one