The Benz Appreciation Thread

6.9's are such an unknown commodity, I've driven one that was great and seemed faster than a 4.5. but I've driven two other 'good' examples that seemed slower .

There was a gold one in Brisbane for around $30k. I still couldn't afford to maintain one

Wow, rare car and obviously never sold here, can it be registered being LHD and under 30 years old? (scratch that you are in WA :) )  Nice Porsche content too!

Can only go by O.S. pricing..( sorry wrong link) not a cheap car.

Good luck!

Edited by ANF

I am a Mercedes tragic! They are one of my fav Merc Sedans! Some more wiki info https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_500_E

"The 500 E was created in close cooperation with Porsche; each 500 E was hand-built by Porsche, being transported back and forth between the Mercedes plant and Porsche's Rossle-Bau plant in Zuffenhausen, Germany during assembly — taking a full 18 days to complete each model"

"The 500 E was only with four seats in left hand drive, with the four leather seats supplied by Recaro (the fronts heated)."

I have done little work this morning and have just been reading up on the E500.

I've been very attracted to the E60 and E500 in the W124 platform recently, given its stocky, wider and lower stance.

I was also looking at 560 SEC but the pickings have been slim at the right price. 

All of the locally delivered 560 SECs will be way down on HP compared to euro ones (lower comp)! Quite gutless really (better off with a 928 :P). Go for the 500E, much better performance car, plus the Porsche connection!

E60 you would need deep pockets!!

Reggie i am a bit like ANF a older merc tragic.  I love big V8 coupes so was searching for an SEC for a while and its still a toss up between a 928 or an SEC as some stage. As ANF suggests the local delivered 560 whilst the bigger beast is a little underpowered with all the 80's pollution add ons etc. a number in the MB community will always suggest a euro spec out of a RHD market is often more sought after. Some have picked them up out of HK or bought locally a private import or been lucky enough to get their hands on a locally delivered special import via AMG.  I have seen the one that Wayne Gardner ordered as a tourist delivery out of AMG and its sitting with a collector in Melb which I hope one day comes on the market.  Being your in Perth I have noticed that more SEC's tend to come up on that side of the country and maybe even consider a 500 as they were not released here but there are a couple of experts that say they are actually a better proposition for the power delivery and no smog system.

If you are serious on an SEC I can put you in touch with a WA expert on this model who has done a lot of research and tends to know where some of the better cars, are owns a couple of SEC's that are euro spec and he can help you with the right specs to look out for and maybe even a lead on the right car.

E500 would be a dream car to own :wub:

Are there any actually in oz?  They would have to be private imports and in a state allowing 15 year old LHD registrations.

truly classic benzes are thin on the ground but this seems like it has future unobtanium written all over it.