The Benz Appreciation Thread

4 minutes ago, Tips said:

Been helping a mate source a MB for a while and we finally located the right car and got it to Syd yesterday. 71 280se 3.5 coupe one of the 3,270 built of which 245 were RHD and only 88 imported to AU. Can’t be too many left and in  the condition of this one.

I had to pick it up from the depot and drive across Town in the middle of the storm yesterday ?.  The car drives like a dream but the 47 yo demister struggled as did the 10yo white wall tyres which are as hard as concrete, it was a bit dicey in some slippery areas but got it delivered safely. Photos don’t do it justice, well the last one does pre delivery.

looking forward to nicer weather in the next few weeks to take it for a stretch and showing it at the all German day later this month.

Nice one, love the coupes (and the w108s too!!)
Amazed about the demisting though, as I thought it would be similar to W108 and mine worked perfectly!! I especially liked the ducted rear window demisting!

31 minutes ago, tazzieman said:

Great car in great condition. "I'll bet that wasn't cheap" !

Definately not tazz especially with the Dutton tax applied, but he didn’t pay the retail price either. Deceased estate so everyone clipped the ticket - from family - wholesaler - Duttons -mate so it was a little inflated but is immaculate with loads of documentation and a keeper for him not a flip.

my tax to him is that I get to drive it whenever I want ?

@ANF fogging would go whilst moving it was the slow Syd peaknhour that killed it. I also love the 108’s and especially the 6.3 which I’m chasing if anyone knows of an immaculately presented AU delivered hiding somewhere?

On 3/16/2018 at 3:55 PM, ANF said:

One of the early ones would be ok @TINGY944 but I cannot stand the latest model vertical toothy grille!!

I could handle having one of these too.

They're an incredible drive, almost too perfect, and agree the earlier version is the pick.

A mate of mine has one, we were at 'the farm' and after riding shotgun with him for a few hot laps I was lucky enough he tossed me the keys for a few solo Laps. 

That was a couple of years ago now, and I'm still smiling. 

It sounds incredible, is next level quick, and other worldly quick compared to my 928 which I had there. But funnily the popular vote on the day for best sounding V8 went to my humble 30yo 928.

That gave me an even bigger smile ?

The profile and overall layout of the AMG GT with front engine V8, transaxle etc, even the shape of the rear end, is very 928esque, I reckon if they redo the 928 this should be what we'd expect including twin turbo plant, with a modern 928 shape. Now that'd be nice to see.

• 4 weeks later...

I know there are a couple of ML/GLE owners on the forum. PM if anyone is interested in a set of OEM roof racks in great condition suit a w166 ML350. Over $600 new Happy to part with for $250 ono.

steven

• 1 month later...

https://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/motoring/luxury/new-mercedesamg-g63-is-one-of-the-most-overthetop-machines-on-the-road/news-story/d25949a32a1361d69226a3917586880a

"Select Sport+ mode, hit the exhaust note button to boost decibels by 20 per cent, and the big G launches from rest to 100km/h in 4.5 seconds. It trumps a manual Porsche 911 Carrera."

Yo, bro 

5 minutes ago, sleazius said:

One thing that Mercedes has been fantastic at in the Turbo era is making them sound amazing. C63 S with foot to the floor is heaven in the noise department. Porsche should be taking notes.

I would have to agree. Even the turbo 2.0/ 4 can sound good!! 

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
3 minutes ago, Tips said:

What did you think of the GTS Adam? I have driven one at pace on the street around west head in Syd but expect the track would be a very different proposition 

Truly amazing!! Best car I have been anywhere near!! The C63 was pretty bloody good too!!

At low/ medium speeds it felt pretty docile, but when pushed hard it comes alive! I would have one in a heart beat!! A massive bonus was the sound track - glorious!!