The Benz Appreciation Thread

• 2 weeks later...

I have had 2 MB 450s -  an 450SEL & a 450SL. Both were capable cars, reliable and quite easy to fix for a DIY person.

A few years ago I was getting an old guy to fix up a vintage Matchless bike engine & in his shed I saw what I thought was a classic 190 Mercedes.

But it was a 2 door, which I hadnt seen before, turns out it was an 170 (not 190) - ex nazi Afrika Korp radio car captured outside Egypt by Aussie troops in 1943?? It was bought back here repainted & converted to RHD. The elderly owner had bought it off a couple of uni students in Carlton in the mid 1960s. Everybody had forgotten its 'history' & it was just an old cheap car. Saddly he didnt want to part with it - I would have loved to paint it in its original Afrika colours. Australia does have a lot of interesting old cars. (Photo from Google!)

mb170afrikakorp.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Classics at the beach today. First time in 6 years I've seen 3 old Mercs. We are starting a wave...

Ron Burgundy is a 280SE (daily drive) , Blackie is a 3.5L 280SE (part of a huge eclectic collection of cars owned (& driven++) by a guy who did targa in a 1963 Fintail) and that's my '67 250S on the right. The 2 outer cars are being used at my son's wedding next week ; I think we'll keep Blackie aside for other occasions...

MBZs.jpg

MBZs2.jpg

My dad had a green 450SL when I was a toddler which he sold back in the late 1980s to purchase a 928S. He had a much better experience with the Merc!

Ive been considering the 2016 A45 AMG as a daily driver. 280kw with dual clutch transmission - goes like the a shower of shit for a hot hatch! Enough room for a couple of kids in the back too which is a bonus.

IMG_4694_zpsrpkd30in.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

One of my clients has a 250se. I haven't asked for vin to find out which model.

It is terribly rusty, doors, guards etc, and the chrome work is mostly damaged/dented. The interior has been recovered by a pimp as well.

I know it's a bleak picture. Sad.

If someone could use any of it though. PM me. It's in the northern rivers.

If it is 4 door then it would be a w108 same as my old car and now tazzie's except fuel injected. Unfortunately a lot of these cars end up that way.

If a coupe then a w111 and good ones are worth quite a bit.

Both from mid 60s

• 3 weeks later...

Saw a nicely restored 230E yesterday.  Unfortunately it had to succumbed to the local lads obsession with dropping them on the deck.  The massive camber on the back wheels just looks ridiculous to me, but apparently that's the thing.  Still, at least it had nice paint and chrome and still rocked the original wheels.

Saw a nicely restored 230E yesterday.  Unfortunately it had to succumbed to the local lads obsession with dropping them on the deck.  The massive camber on the back wheels just looks ridiculous to me, but apparently that's the thing.  Still, at least it had nice paint and chrome and still rocked the original wheels.

Do you mean a 60's 230SE or an 80's 230E. 80's 230E should not have that much chamber when lowered due to suspension setup?