Wheels May 1984 - Hamilton Porsche Drive Day Story

Peter M

I been thinking about doing a thread on Carrera 3.2's and was looking around for some references and some good quotes.  (The premise of the story being 3.2's are under appreciated and I just don't think we realise what a perfect blend of old and new they are.)

Anyway I came across this story in the May 1984 edition of Wheels magazine where an obviously wide eyed and innocent young Phil Scott, who later went on to become editor, had a great day with Allan Hamilton and eight other journos with obviously diseased egos and something to prove.

While his quotes regarding 3.2's are gold, I just thought it was a great read and to good to keep to myself:

SCN_0009_zps5b85f5ba.jpg

SCN_0010_zpse036f8e2.jpg

SCN_0011_zps5a62f7aa.jpg

SCN_0012_zps4e738646.jpg

SCN_0013_zps4b051231.jpg

SCN_0014_zps4b090fdc.jpg

SCN_0008_zps0d69729e.jpg

Great find thanks. I reckon I owned that magazine at 13! Great to read it again. How times have changed. In those days, 200km/h was "not quick"

Interesting prices:

$80k for a 928s you can buy today for $15k

$60k for a carrera you can buy today for......well, $60k!

Big bucks 30 years ago!

Interesting prices:

$80k for a 928s you can buy today for $15k

$60k for a carrera you can buy today for......well, $60k!

Part of the reason that I had a 928 on the bucket list was because, as much as it was derided by 911 aficionados, I only ever read high praise of it in the press. It seemed like anyone who had ever driven one objectively came away impressed. Even this article to me is a great account of the complementary strengths of the 928 and 911. 

Yeah I remember my brother and I riding our bikes past a new 928 in the local shopping centre early 1980s and marvelling at the bulbous shape, cool porsche insignia interior. It looked like something from outer space next to XD falcons and VK commodores. And it had a high performance v8. Phwoar. I'm bloody tempted to pick up a cracking 928 for sub $20k as an awesome weekend family cruiser. Except the wife and girls would be too embarrassed to get in it! They just don't GET it!

I also remember an electric blue 930 with black simonds rims at our local Frankston milk bar circa 1983, almost matching the poster on my bedroom wall. Who would have thought amongst a sea and gallants and sigmas and commodore and variants and 180b's? In franga, wow!

Archived