[VIC] Who would actually attend a track day?

Pauly

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be keen, particularly if it was exclusively PFA members. I just looked up the Driver Dynamics website and that looks great. My only concern would be being grouped with a bunch of boy racers. Having our own event means we could all rely on each other to respect each other.

I'd be keen, particularly if it was exclusively PFA members. I just looked up the Driver Dynamics website and that looks great. My only concern would be being grouped with a bunch of boy racers. Having our own event means we could all rely on each other to respect each other.

This is exactly where i was headed with this. 

The problem is though, having enough people. Having only 10 PFA members, we'll be up to pay more PP. So having another club beside us will lower costs. 

It's easy to split groups too. 

I'm not so keen on boy racers either, which is what i've mentioned to my mate, which he agrees. 

Simon, they will put you in the one group if you ask them. I had a chat to them some time ago about this very subject.

How much fun will it be to be on track together and really compare cars. Sandown is the most central to Vic members and far safer than PI.

You guys will have a ball.

Oh, you will need a LS2 Cams licence, easy done on the phone.

Make sure you mention that you have this licence to your insurance company for a nice little discount. PCV membership will get another discount if you are with Shannons :)

We are not talking about running a PFA competition at HH or anywhere else !

Runs at HH are done at a speed you are comfortable at. At any track and including photos shown, competition is done at best possible speed and can result in leaving the track surface.

As Jim said we had a fun day at Symmonds Plains - it was not a competition either.

It is your car and your responsibility, novice or experienced, anywhere you drive !.

Your runs can be timed to pace yourself or untimed for the day.

Pauly is just suggesting a day out at a track - not competition.

Guys, its simple.

No legal mine field Theo.

Pauly, it will not cost extra as you will be one of three groups that make up the numbers.

They supply everything, no harder than booking in on your own.

Just give them a call, don't make me organise this for you ;)

Guys, its simple.

No legal mine field Theo.

Pauly, it will not cost extra as you will be one of three groups that make up the numbers.

They supply everything, no harder than booking in on your own.

Just give them a call, don't make me organise this for you ;)

Ok, so what you are referring to is an outfit like DD conducting the event.

A little different to what I understood.

It's a conversation that does come up from time to time................

My initial thoughts have been towards getting a driver training day organised as this allows everyone a chance to experience their cars under guidance and also introduce everyone to the track environment as I believe this is important (+ more social/relaxed).

Depending on numbers, response etc. then maybe evolve to an advance driver training then possibly onto track - evidence of prior experience would be my recommendation as stated above due to the potential liabilities etc.

Happy to be put my hand up to help/assist but the risks are high and as we all know things can get pretty serious pretty quickly!

I have done three Driver Dynamics days so far at Sandown. Would I call them well run? Maybe would I be saying they run safe events? Well that can be an interesting question and depends how you answer it. There hasnt been any incident whilst I have been there but the last one I did they decided to leave a car on the track right on the racing line coming out of the back right hand left handed corner to enter the back straight. Not a very smart decision to do that in my opinion. Also the person controlling pit lane exit had her back to the front straight? How the hell did she know it was safe to enter the track bemused us. 

This was the worst I have seen it and must admit I was more conscious of looking at pit lane and what was happening as I entered the straight. Now all said and done I am planning to do it again on November 1. If I havent sold the 991 by then it will be my last chance to get on the track for that last thrill. Next time I get a chance to do it it will most likely be in a HSV and it wont be as fun........

The other issue I took on the day was their non commitment of telling people to only overtake from either the left or right and allowing overtaking on corners. You make your own decisions on the day and it ends up being a safe and thrilling day on the track. Let the boy racers be the heroes and you go home safe. 

Oh Calder provides medical and marshals when you hire it.....................

I'm interested in a well run and properly marshalled day with like minded enthusiasts.

I've had first hand experienced of a sketchy track day which was dangerous and therefore no fun. Part of the problem was a bunch of mates in stickered up nissans and Hondas that wanted to "race", they had NFI, they mixed racing with drifting and it was just dangerous. driver briefing was poor, lots of first timers on track together going crazy, no flag marshals, no control of on track behaviour and felt like one guy on a donkey with a bucket of water in case of accidents. I've seen few accidents over the years but when things go wrong, it can be nasty and you want experienced fireys and first aid quickly on the scene. That would be a pre-requisite for me. I left early in the interests of survival. But that's once in 20 years of occasional track days. it was driver dynamics sandown circa 2007 - from arthurk's comments sounds like not much has changed!

It costs maybe $80 to join a club for a year and you can attend virtually any track days going (except PCV?). So I'm not quite sure why you'd go to the trouble of organising one yourself. But if you do, I'd be keen - would be good to get a bunch of PFA'ers out together. By the way, with driver dynamics in the past, they didn't require a cams licence? May have changed and as vas said, a cams licence is easy to get on line or over the phone but just check its even needed.

I'm interested in a well run and properly marshalled day with like minded enthusiasts.

I've had first hand experienced of a sketchy track day which was dangerous and therefore no fun. Part of the problem was a bunch of mates in stickered up nissans and Hondas that wanted to "race", they had NFI, they mixed racing with drifting and it was just dangerous. driver briefing was poor, lots of first timers on track together going crazy, no flag marshals, no control of on track behaviour and felt like one guy on a donkey with a bucket of water in case of accidents. I've seen few accidents over the years but when things go wrong, it can be nasty and you want experienced fireys and first aid quickly on the scene. That would be a pre-requisite for me. I left early in the interests of survival. But that's once in 20 years of occasional track days. it was drier dynamics sandown circa 2007 but from arthurk's comments sounds like not much has changed!]

It costs maybe $80 to join a club for a year and you can attend virtually any track days going (except PCV?). But would be good to get a bunch of PFA'ers out together. By the way, with driver dynamics in the past, they didn't require a cams licence? May have changed and as vas said, a cams licence is easy to get on line or over the phone but just check its even needed.

Not required with Driver Dynamics. They werent even checking current DLs of participants this time round.

That's because driver dynamics is driver training and you're actually covered by insurance and probably the only time on a track unless you get track insurance. It can be said for the other track day instruction (eg. John Bowe) which is a slightly different from a regular track event run under CAMS or AASA with a car club.

That's because driver dynamics is driver training and you're actually covered by insurance and probably the only time on a track unless you get track insurance. It can be said for the other track day instruction (eg. John Bowe) which is a slightly different from a regular track event run under CAMS or AASA with a car club.

Unfortunately no insurance cover with DD either.

Really? You're taking about their "level 3 - high performance track days" correct? I was previously told by them that you were covered as it was "under instruction" driving by a registered training organisation. Maybe it has changed?

As someone who has been gone after by the TAC and various lawers over an incident that was 100% NOT my fault, but I was the first link in a chain of events due to a faulty radiator hose, that resulted in someone with broken pelvis and legs, at a   "rider training day".   My advice is to not believe anyone who says that the event is insured, or that you are covered. As I found out the organiser was covered by his insurance, but as a participant I was open to Litigation by the injured party, And had I not been able to prove that it was not my fault, I would have been looking at SERIOUS compensation payout. In the event of an unforseen incident, even if your Mate wouldn`t sue you,the TAC or his family probably would

As someone who has been gone after by the TAC and various lawers over an incident that was 100% NOT my fault, but I was the first link in a chain of events due to a faulty radiator hose, that resulted in someone with broken pelvis and legs, at a   "rider training day".   My advice is to not believe anyone who says that the event is insured, or that you are covered. As I found out the organiser was covered by his insurance, but as a participant I was open to Litigation by the injured party, And had I not been able to prove that it was not my fault, I would have been looking at SERIOUS compensation payout. In the event of an unforseen incident, even if your Mate wouldn`t sue you,the TAC or his family probably would

Like I said, pretty serious pretty quickly................... :unsure:

Sounds like a very unfortunate situation Steve. 

The Driver Dynamics days are ok but they aren't a pinch on Luke's days with the Formula Company which really cater towards high end cars and customers. Lots of Pro drivers to help out if you wish or else you can just run at your own pace. If this was the path you wanted to take I'd be looking at one of Luke's days at Sandown. The only downside is they are always mid-week which doesn't suit everyone. But as an upside he usually has some cool cars you can take for a punt around the track. For example at the next one Jaguar has some F-Type Coupe R's everyone is welcome to trial. 

But he has a day coming up on Sept 4th there if people were interested. Not sure when the one after is but I can post it up if people are interested as I think I will attend it regardless.

Another option for good drive days is the Drive Events days at Phillip Island. Similar deal to Luke's days above. None of these days require CAMS licenses or fitted fire extinguishers etc.

If you are really serious however about doing your own day with a small group then another option to consider is the small track out at Broadford. Not a lot is done out there are the allowed track density levels mean it is only good for small groups and can generally also only be hired mid week (it's used to motorbikes mainly) but it is much cheaper to hire than the other tracks.

Winton is by far the cheapest of the main 4 tracks to hire in Vic however. 

Another thing to consider is if you want timing at the days. Things get a lot more complex from an insurance POV and requirements as far as fire and medial assistance as soon as a stop watch gets involved.

Like I said, pretty serious pretty quickly................... :unsure:

Sounds like a very unfortunate situation Steve. 

Unfortunate for all concerned,but very scary for me as insurance companies will leave no rock unturned to try and find ways of getting their money back

Unfortunate for all concerned,but very scary for me as insurance companies will leave no rock unturned to try and find ways of getting their money back

Steve, are you saying this applies to any of the well run track days like PCV for instance? On Sunday, one of the cars shat oil all over the track. One of the other cars spun on it and had to be towed back. If that driver had died for instance, is somebody at that track going to be personally liable for the incident?

Winton Raceway has Test & Tune days 2-3 times a month on Fridays. Just turn up, pay your money and go trackside. They are cheap and you get lots of untimed laps and are good fun. Controlled environment with safety facilities on hand.  And no hassle to organise. Just get a group together and go up early – no need to book. You’ll get tired of doing laps before they close the track at 4pm.

http://www.wintonraceway.com.au/calendar

Archived