[VIC] Who would actually attend a track day?

Pauly

Steve, are you saying this applies to any of the well run track days like PCV for instance? On Sunday, one of the cars shat oil all over the track. One of the other cars spun on it and had to be towed back. If that driver had died for instance, is somebody at that track going to be personally liable for the incident?

I have absolutely no idea,but what little I learned from the incident was it seem that sanctioned Driver Training or Rider Training days where, if your vehicle is registered and roadworthy you are covered by your TAC insurance against personal injury. Therefore the TAC will look for ways to recover their money

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As someone who has been gone after by the TAC and various lawers over an incident that was 100% NOT my fault, but I was the first link in a chain of events due to a faulty radiator hose, that resulted in someone with broken pelvis and legs, at a   "rider training day".   My advice is to not believe anyone who says that the event is insured, or that you are covered. As I found out the organiser was covered by his insurance, but as a participant I was open to Litigation by the injured party, And had I not been able to prove that it was not my fault, I would have been looking at SERIOUS compensation payout. In the event of an unforseen incident, even if your Mate wouldn`t sue you,the TAC or his family probably would

Sorry for your misfortune Steve, which car was that in.

So TAC or family member can take action against you on a privately run track day, is that correct ?

Sorry for your misfortune Steve, which car was that in.

So TAC or family member can take action against you on a privately run track day, is that correct ?

Ducati, not car. As for privately run trackdays, I have no idea, and that's the point

Normally the insurance for the track day that is purchased is a public liability and one for any damage that happens to the facilities. The waivers are supposed to mean each driver is on their own  :wacko:

As I recall it the driver is responsible for any armco damage and the cost of the flat tray for car removal.

A lot of different views here, quite interesting.

Would having a track day with in the PFA change anything? the way we view the car in front? 

I mean look how we act on SMTs very civil, we all know our limits. Our rules are great. We organise the line in an orderly fashion with the more spirited drivers near the front and the cruiser guys near the back. We respect one and others limits. Will this head to the track. I think it would. 

I should also have mentioned I took part in a few track days and was a marshal for many years during my 10 years of PCV membership. If it was me I would be using one of the established companies that run track events. The one that comes to mind has already been mentioned and run by Luke or John Bowe. Very professional and I am sure a group outing at Sandown could be arranged.

Insurance is a can of worms as Steve has highlighted. One of the reasons I would not be involved..... Happy to come and watch though.

You must be crashin at different events to me Doug.

you southern guys should see the tally at lakeside.. lol

armco is 'single use' in a lot of cases, hence crashing into it you may be asked by the venue to contribute to its replacement. hit or miss on whether you do or don't it seems.

i've never heard of anybody being covered by insurance at a track, if you crash, you crash.

pauly's comment on track etiquette is pretty much spot on, you're all travelling in the same direction at similar speeds, spaced out a little, there is little to worry about except your own skills/ambition haha.

a common thing here is for 6-10 people to reserve a run group at an open track day.

Ps. I would be IN for a PFA track day.  I've done Drive Events booked via Adrenalin at Phillip Island and found it safe, well run and good value.

Haunted Hills sounds like a great idea!  I don't see the problem when it's just for fun...got to be way safer and way more kosher than an SMT!  It's essentially an SMT on closed roads.

Of course when real competition events are run there will be "offs" - it's just part of the game and a game you don't play unless you're willing to throw it into the trees/wall at some point...

Haunted Hills sounds like a great idea!  I don't see the problem when it's just for fun...got to be way safer and way more kosher than an SMT!  It's essentially an SMT on closed roads.

Of course when real competition events are run there will be "offs" - it's just part of the game and a game you don't play unless you're willing to throw it into the trees/wall at some point...

The issue is when people get on the track they can suddenly see the red mist and they go for it just to beat the time of someone they know or if they have an instructor in the car. Haunted Hills is generally over and done in less than 2 minutes or a minute depending on the run setup and the type of car involved. The corners are also off camber and some are blind over crests and you can easily be carrying too much speed if you haven't started breaking before you see the corner. I haven't taken the P there yet just for that reason as I don't want to lose it over the starting crest or the crest after the cross over on the 8 layout (both blind), not too stressed about "oh sh*t" corner.

If the organisers knew 100% for sure that there was no risk of someone going for it, then it would be a different story.

Paully, I would give serious consideration to organising this as it may be you that someone comes after in the event of an accident.

Sounds like the events Luke (don't know who he is) runs are the way to go. For what I take is a mostly inexperienced group, having proper instructors in a well organised and safe day is way better than a bunch of associates in a free for all on a track without proper marshalling.

Years ago the PCNSW organised a training day up at the old Oran Park and they put you through some exercises throughout the day either with the instructor or you driving. Did some full laps in the afternoon but it was a lot more instructional than people just blindly bowling around a track that some or none have ever been on at speed. No disrespect intended but I've seen enough newbies at mid week track days making it clear they had no idea of what to do and a big one was always looking likely. Another thing is the lack of speed reference when on the track. Unlike the streets with cars, houses, trees, poles etc to give a visual reference, the track usually has none of these near to you. So you can be travelling a lot faster than you realise and this can create issues for the inexperienced. I've often looked down during a cooldown lap where you are going significantly slower and marvelled at how slow e.g. 130kmh can seem.

Just my .02c

Archived