Door pocket lids

PhilH

The pockets seems to be a wood/fibre based product (not plastic, but I could be wrong). If that is the case, probably the best way forwards is steam. The way to do it would be to make a jig that holds the pocket tight in the right shape, then steam the crap out of it for a decent period of time - 20 or 30 minutes even. You could do this with an old kettle with the lid removed and a bit of creativity.

Bear in mind this is just a thought bubble but if it is fibre based rather than plastic you might have success.

Incidentally the door pockets are something I always look at in for sale pics. They're a great proxy for vehicle condition. Perfect = car is perfect. A little sag (armrest mostly visible) - car is good driver but has areas of wear. A lot of sag, armrest completely sagging into pocket = car has heavy life and is shagged. No pockets = car is modified.

Here is the applicable picture:

wj1o.jpg

I can't quite work out what is going on though.  Is this two pockets clamped at once?  IT looks like the idea here was to clamp them with a slight bow inwards knowing that when the pressure was released it would pop back outwards?

I don't have door pockets at all however I have the armrests still fitted. They have nothing to support them so they are at a 45 degree angle drooping downwards. Because of this I have researched a little about buying some after market pockets. The bad news is that none if them seem to get a good review from what I've seen. Bad shape and poorly made seems to be the prominent comments, I would love to hear from someone who has some after market units that are good quality and fit?

• 2 years later...

Nevermind! :)

Remove the door pocket

Remove lid

Soak the inside of the pocket

Place the pocket on a bench/table top with the door side on the bench top and top of the pocket in line with the edge of the bench.

Place a short timber batten on top of the bowed edge of the pocket and pull the batten down with a clamp or two between the batten and the edge of the bench.  No need to measure as you are just pulling the bow out so the batten tightly touches the full length of the pocket opening.

Leave overnight to let dry

Done!

Archived