WTB: Porsche 964 Black Coupe Manual

quick007

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies.

Hugh - I am hoping for a 964 and I am willing to spend up to 65k. I will settle for a 930. I am after one preferably in black, coupe and manual.

Dreamr - I am looking for a car close to factory, however; I don't mind minimal mods e.g. aftermarket exhaust. I am after one in good condition. The updated SC with the 964 I don't particularly mind the look of (that is just my opinion though).

Coastr - I am kind of set on a black coupe in manual.

Tit - That car does look cool.

Sorry if I seem a little indecisive as this is harder than I thought it would be.

I guess I will keep looking for now.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you've just started looking, be prepared for the long haul. Many people on this forum searched for a vehicle for 12 months or more until the right one showed up. Get your cash ready, know what you want, know what are your deal breakers and move like lightning when it appears.

Right now desirable cars are tightly held, and the car you describe is very desirable.

Keep looking actively.

The right car will find you grasshopper.......

+ 1

You will struggle to get a 930 for $65k. If a good C4 or SC comes up then  - bam, jump on it!  :)

Sorry if I seem a little indecisive as this is harder than I thought it would be.

I guess I will keep looking for now.

+ 1 on what Coastr said ....... be prepared for the long haul, especially if you aren't flexible with what you want ....... welcome to the world of buying a Porsche ......

The biggest problem you will face is that you want a specific colour ... alot of the other people looking for a 964 are happy just to find one, let alone in a specific colour ..... so if a Black one does rear its head, you'll be fighting everyone that wanted a red one, a silver one, a yellow one etc .....

Are you flexible on colour at all? There are a couple of really nice 3.2 Carreras for sale at the moment ..... Aussie delivered, good condition and under your budget ....... but they are Garnet Red ..... heres a link to one of them ....

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1984/AGC-AD-9092945/?Cr=45&sdmvc=1

You are trying to find a needle in a haystack .... and that applies to any aircooled Porsche. If you read the other post I gave the link to, it is estimated that maybe 4 or 5 cars come up for sale in a year that are worth actually looking at.

BTW ...... if you find a 930 for sale for $65k, you will probably need another $65k to sort out its issues.

These cars are now at min. $85k plus

Thanks Peter,

didn't realise.... I usually keep an eye on the market, but more impact bumper stuff ...

Any ideas why? Seems to tick a lot of boxes .... coupe, manual, go fast red, Aussie delivered ........

So, do we think it is the cars themselves?

The prices seem pretty sharp, considering there have been some sold for more money and bought sight unseen .....

That white one looks particularly nice ..... the red one has a photo which looks like is is being flogged on a track ....

Is it possible the PPI's have come back with a number of probs?

Which then begs the question, why are some selling sight unseen and others on the market long enough to even be able to have a PPI done?

It's all a bit odd .....

It's all a bit odd .....

Actually it just proves again we are all irrational fickle creatures.

If we were sensible we're all have 996 Tips.

Actually, if we were sensible we're all have 3 year old Kia Ceratos.....

So, do we think it is the cars themselves?The prices seem pretty sharp, considering there have been some sold for more money and bought sight unseen .....That white one looks particularly nice ..... the red one has a photo which looks like is is being flogged on a track ....Is it possible the PPI's have come back with a number of probs?Which then begs the question, why are some selling sight unseen and others on the market long enough to even be able to have a PPI done?It's all a bit odd .....

C4's. That's major contributor.

I'm sure it wouldn't be the case if they were C2's. I really like the look white one - funny that!

Hugh,

I know the C4's aren't as sought after as the C2's, but sales of these hasn't been too shabby lately, considering the shortage of C2 manuals ....

Surely it can't be just the fact that they're C4 .... (not that I follow the 964 market very closely).

Hugh,I know the C4's aren't as sought after as the C2's, but sales of these hasn't been too shabby lately, considering the shortage of C2 manuals ....Surely it can't be just the fact that they're C4 .... (not that I follow the 964 market very closely).

Having not seen the cars I'm only speculating, but the C4 syndrome would be playing some part I'm guessing.

The ad for the red car is terrible!  Bad photos, non-track car being tracked, pointless description.  Would it kill them to write some decent marketing copy? It's a $55,000 sale.  I go to more effort to sell a $270 pair of shoes on my website...even some $30 items!

The ad for the red car is terrible!  Bad photos, non-track car being tracked, pointless description.  Would it kill them to write some decent marketing copy? It's a $55,000 sale.  I go to more effort to sell a $270 pair of shoes on my website...even some $30 items!

Getting a bit off track for this post, but this description isn't exactly going to a big effort .....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Porsche-911-Carrera-2Dr-4-Seater-1986-Coupe-3-2L-/221571238216?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item3396acc948

So, do we think it is the cars themselves?

The prices seem pretty sharp, considering there have been some sold for more money and bought sight unseen .....

That white one looks particularly nice ..... the red one has a photo which looks like is is being flogged on a track ....

Is it possible the PPI's have come back with a number of probs?

Which then begs the question, why are some selling sight unseen and others on the market long enough to even be able to have a PPI done?

It's all a bit odd .....

I think it must be the car themselves.

As stated, the ad copy is not great and certainly not very informative. 

Perhaps a call to the seller reveals poor history or something else undesirable that is not disclosed in the ad.

I bought my C4 sight unseen and without a PPI but I spoke at length to both of the mechanics who had worked on the car went through the past 3 years of extensive invoices as well as conversations with the seller which were all positive. 

There is a reason this red car is not selling but it is not just because it is a C4. 

Good C4's are going within days of hitting the market also. 

Archived