1990 964 C4 Melbourne

poli84

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's more like it!

What a transformation the wheels and deleted decal make - looks fantastic!  

did you buy the center caps or did they come with the wheels? 

Thanks Hugh, I agree, hugh transformation.

Caps came with the wheels thankfully. 

car looks great!

incidentally, what are the correct sizes for tyres for the cup 1's?

What tyre brand did you go with?

Mike.

Thanks Mike.

I kept the same tyres from the Cup II's, just swapped them over.

From my reading, fronts should be 205/50/ZR17 and rear 255/40/ZR17.

My fronts from the PO are 215/50/ZR17 and I am running Yokahama Advans which are OK but have incredibly loud road noise.

• 6 months later...

Some updates to the car:

Idle Problems

From purchase and collection, the car had some terrible idle issues:

- easy to stall when taking off

- kangaroo hopping in traffic

- stall at first start every morning

- rev drop when coming to a stop, often resulting in a stall

- huge rev fluctuation at idle, etc, etc

I tried cleaning the ISV and the AFM, didn't work so I changed to a new ISV and O2 sensor, didn't work.

Finally booked the car in at Auto Coupe and I'm happy to say, that after 3 weeks, I now have a very strong idle and all the above symptoms have completely gone.

They started with an AFM calibration which helped but wasn't the fix.

Reconfigured the Idle Micro Switch after a past mechanic and molested it, again helped but not it.

Checked for all air leaks, etc, good to know everything is tight. Plugged in another ECU and the idle improved so they sent the ECU and some changes were made to match the test ECU and the result is now an even better car to drive with a strong idle, starts first go every time, etc, etc.

While it was in there, had a major service done including tappet adjustment, plugs, dizzie caps and rotors, all oils and fluids, etc, etc.

Spoiler Grill

Following Hepkat's great youtube DIY, I removed and re-painted my spoiler as it was looking rubbish:

IMG_1458_zpsdfueljym.jpg

IMG_1461_zpsv4tgbhsk.jpg

Haven't got a photo of the finished product but very happy with the result.

I used a satin black 'Squirtz' after a solid degreaser and wash.

I also painted the black grill on the frunk together with the corresponding screws as this was faded.

No photo but looking great!

Tail Light Tint

I purchased a tail light tint from Gus on RL.

Product is good, great colour. My skills let me down and tiny holes were evident from about 1.5m meter.

Biggest problem is the tint completely block out the amber indicator (fine in the USA).

Although I loved the deep red colour, I ripped it off the next day.

IMG_1472_zps2e6thmtn.jpg

My edges weren't great either

IMG_1477_zpskknnak39.jpg

Glad you got it all sorted out.  I was at Auto Coupe yesterday picking up my brakes after Darren fitted new seals and pistons.

They always have such incredible cars there.

I've been working on a new gear shifter.

The knob is made from Corian and is similiar to the ones found on an IB car.

It came with a 928 round adapter to fit the 964's flat shaft and I got some stainless steel tubing cut to size to cover the shaft.

The problem how to cover the boot.

Ideally, I would love to keep the OEM rubber boot exposed as per Singer but:

1. Their console is mounted much lower than OEM 964 resulting in a deep hole from console surface to tunnel where the rubber boot is mounted

2. They manufactured a beautiful plastic cup to fill this hole and after much discussion on RL and exploring of ideas, too hard to replicate through the means of 3D printing, plastic moulding, etc, etc

So I came up with the below solution to cut down a leather boot...

Not overly happy with the turn out, perhaps because the boot I used was a repalcement boot and not an OEM meaning the leather looked like garbage and it would not sit in place correctly.

I love the shifter, looks great, feels great, shifts great, but need to get the gaiter and boot right.

So... do I keep pursuing and get a better boot made or do I cut my losses, scrap project and keep OEM?

Attempt 1, rubber gaitor covered:

FB0FCC6E-7146-4280-B348-96DF442406E4_zps

Attempt 2, leather boot trimmed to expose rubber gaitor:

06904A20-C877-404F-A319-BF20B8ECFDC2_zps

Clay and Wax

Such beautiful weather last Sunday that I washed, clayed and waxed.

Can't share too many photos of a 964 looking this good! No photoshopping or filters here, just good old Carnuaba Wax. 

0BFC9E15-761C-47CC-BB09-932C293BD7AD_zps

66FB247F-0922-4FCB-A714-D2B906CB8BCC_zps

D9CEF645-93C1-4430-BCE8-334A21CE8FF5_zps

I've just finished re-dying my centre console and handbrake cover as they were pretty badly scuffed up.

Am about to deep clean the seats and once done, I'll hopefully post up some pics of great improvement.

Next on the list is to install new door retention straps (doors opening too far without stopping points) and I've bought some control modules to make the windows 'one-touch', fingers crossed that install goes well but will report back with a write up. 

Very interesting post - thanks poli84.

I'm going to start on my interior later this year so will no doubt encounter the same dilemma re the shift boot.

Please also keep us updated on the 'one touch' set up.

The knob and sleeve (shaft), are not the problem.

I love the Corian hand made knob and stainless sleeve I have.

It's the boot that's the problem, a solution which that guy does not offer.

I haven't yet taken the console out of my 964 so I'm flying blind but do you think it might work to create a blanking plate that attaches to the console where the shifter comes through?  You could then cut a custom hole which then becomes the mounting point for a new rubber boot.

The original rubber boot could still be in place with the new one fitting over it and creating the 'extension' you need.

By doing this you would have a range of boots to choose from, including earlier 911 styles - you's simply cut the hole in the blanking plate to suit.

The blanking plate could be aluminium or plastic and covered in whatever you prefer such as vinyl, leather, maybe even some linen leather to match the rest of the console.

I haven't yet taken the console out of my 964 so I'm flying blind but do you think it might work to create a blanking plate that attaches to the console where the shifter comes through?  You could then cut a custom hole which then becomes the mounting point for a new rubber boot.

The original rubber boot could still be in place with the new one fitting over it and creating the 'extension' you need.

By doing this you would have a range of boots to choose from, including earlier 911 styles - you's simply cut the hole in the blanking plate to suit.

The blanking plate could be aluminium or plastic and covered in whatever you prefer such as vinyl, leather, maybe even some linen leather to match the rest of the console.

A blanking plate with an additional rubber boot is a very good idea and not one that I had considered before!

I had thought of a blanking plate (cup) and the existing rubber boot and I had thought of a second rubber boot on top but never the two together.

That could be the solution, thank you very much.

I'll get thinking and sourcing. 

Clay and Wax

Such beautiful weather last Sunday that I washed, clayed and waxed.

Can't share too many photos of a 964 looking this good! No photoshopping or filters here, just good old Carnuaba Wax. 

0BFC9E15-761C-47CC-BB09-932C293BD7AD_zps

66FB247F-0922-4FCB-A714-D2B906CB8BCC_zps

D9CEF645-93C1-4430-BCE8-334A21CE8FF5_zps

Have really enjoyed reading this post...your 964 looks fantastic!

• 5 months later...

I finally got around to cleaning the wheel arches this long weekend and also re-painted my brake calipers.

I used the POR-15 kit and left the brakes on to do it.

Before:

IMG_4866_zps10h7swxb.jpg

IMG_4865_zpstb92qxws.jpg

IMG_4870_zpsgb2nzcfw.jpg

Cleaned, taped and primed:

IMG_4876_zpsecxw57u9.jpg

Finished product:

IMG_4878_zpsb6djbv6l.jpg

IMG_4879_zpsgu8uwnhl.jpg

IMG_4881_zpsjq030h8o.jpg

Pretty happy with the POR-15 kit, cost me $78 and easy to use. Finish is also pretty good. I'm sure it would have been better if I waited longer between coats but I am impatient person.

Despite the cleaning, couldn't resist getting it dirty again and the weather was too good yesterday I went for a solo blast through through the usual SMT route.

IMG_4885_zpskvcwe8v1.jpg

• 3 months later...

BACK ON THE ROAD

We had a little mis-hap just after Christmas while driving on the roads above (near Lake Mountain). Coming around a tight bend, an on-coming vehicle was a little close to the centre of the road, I got spooked and moved over too far, misjudging the shoulder of the road. Two wheels on the gravel and you can guess what happened. We made slight contact to the embankment on the wrong side of the road with the front left before spinning around and coming to a rest with the back square against said embankment. Unbelievably, the damage was very light and we were not only able to drive off, but also 1.5 hours back to Melbourne. 

So we promptly filed the claim with insurance and dropped the car around to Paint and Custom in Thornbury. All damage was cosmetic thankfully and P&C were incredibly thorough in replacing everything with OEM parts. 

Front and Rear bumpers including all supports, etc

Primary Muffler plus exhaust tip

LHS rear light and centre reflector

Front mesh grills

Front LHS indicator and reflector

A/C condensor and Fan. etc, etc

While we were there, I also got a cut and polish, bonnet dents knocked out and stone chips touched up, plus the fuel filler flap aligned and new sunroof seals. The only paint that went down was on the new plastic bumpers and the colour match with the 26 year paint elsewhere is perfect. 

The car looks absolutely brilliant now, picked it up Friday night and took it on a 500km weekend drive down the coast. P&C did a fantastic job, big thanks to KGB for the recommendation. 

IMG_5234_zpsgxjo06cf.jpg

IMG_5151_zpsa04mqrhz.jpg

The front LHS reflector is still coming so the broken one is installed in the shots below, heading back on Wednesday to collect.

IMG_5425_zpskg2ea2ow.jpg

IMG_5426_zpsunwkhmnr.jpg

IMG_5429_zpsd8qnjmza.jpg

IMG_5430_zpsd5pl6u1w.jpg

Nice to know the car was repaired well.  I bet there were some other nice Porsche's at P&C.  They have a very good reputation, albeit quite pricey.

There was a 997 GT3 but to be honest, didn't notice anything else as my car was outside waiting for me and I was pretty excited to be reunited. Pricey indeed. I got the list of all work done for the car's file and the final price was... let's just say I'm glad I wasn't picking up the bill!

Archived