News Flash! Cayenne used for towing!!!

Simonk

This morning was the maiden voyage of the rig. Nothing exciting, just off to the mechanic for the annual service before Summer. I have to say, I think it looked better with the Clubsport pulling but the Cayenne is certainly a better tow vehicle. For those interested in how it went, I can only tell you the around town performance and it was excellent. This is the Cayenne S with the 4.8 V8 and it barely raised a sweat. Setting the suspension to Sport mode hardened up the ride and made the car feel more stable but I could have left it in normal mode and it would have been fine. Off the line, the car hardly felt sluggish and you could barely notice the 1600kg hanging from the back while driving. My only gripe would be the prescription lense style side mirrors. While these are designed to eliminate the blind spot, the crazy amount of convex in them makes it hard to pick up detail in the mirror. This became evident when I ripped my mountain bike off the garage wall with the trailer guide polls when pulling the boat out. Very unimpressed and evidently I'm going to need a spotter when maneuvering in and out of the garage, something I've never needed with the Holdens. Overall it excelled at what it was designed to do. Can't wait for the weather to warm up.

15352231339_3a6568c584_z.jpgIMG_3849 by Simonk76, on Flickr

• 3 weeks later...

Nah, no news flash there SimonK - I tow my trailer at least twice a month behind my Cayenne. If one must go to the tip, one can at least do it in style  :D

The bigger shock is someone posting in the 4 door section, everyone here seems to be 2 door snobs.  Nice choice of colour, same as mine but I have the diesel.

Nah, no news flash there SimonK - I tow my trailer at least twice a month behind my Cayenne. If one must go to the tip, one can at least do it in style :D

The bigger shock is someone posting in the 4 door section, everyone here seems to be 2 door snobs. Nice choice of colour, same as mine but I have the diesel.

4 doors AND a diesel!!! Mods, excommunicate this heretic. :ph34r:

damn it. you know all my tricks, and yes I also have a 600m gravel that makes my lovely Cayenne look like poo at the moment.

Keen to see how the new Yokohama Advan ST V802 boots go on the dirt. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Diggin. Are your reverse sensors automatically disabled when you plug the trailer in? Mine aren't and it drives me nuts when I'm reversing the trailer. Surely when you're spending that much money on a tow bar, it would be smart enough to know there's a trailer there?

Ahahaha stereo-typing bandwagon, I think you'd be surprised how many tow.

Here is us 3 months ago

SimonK - is it a factory towbar?  It should have a full harness plug-in to the rear of the Canbus wiring - not only disables the rear sensors, but changes the ESC to suit and even monitors your trailer lights.  Works well, and was the reason I didn't go aftermarket with the bar

1625609_1475104922764718_676186774230427

Hi SimonK,

Yes the sensors (rear) get disabled when the trailer is hooked up. The only annoying thing is having to reset the auto dipping mirror on the passenger side as I dont like looking at the ground when reversing.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Gets dirty off road regularly too  :) 

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipM92aOs1aLTp4ZX2OwBZxdxc0NMlO94kNUdkIeE4z6D23_UZkEDvGEdUPEW_Gob5g/photo/AF1QipP_E5lKwaNt20ScotPiLk6sWA9gQyzRnRHwWoNW?key=Zi1JbExla1BkNmNKckdtZTA2am5MSlRxSG1Danl3

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipM92aOs1aLTp4ZX2OwBZxdxc0NMlO94kNUdkIeE4z6D23_UZkEDvGEdUPEW_Gob5g/photo/AF1QipNYAoX0Ui3RGxICbOOB-3WX-BLHqXvk4yUjQxxh?key=Zi1JbExla1BkNmNKckdtZTA2am5MSlRxSG1Danl3

Nice :)

This morning was the maiden voyage of the rig. Nothing exciting, just off to the mechanic for the annual service before Summer. I have to say, I think it looked better with the Clubsport pulling but the Cayenne is certainly a better tow vehicle. For those interested in how it went, I can only tell you the around town performance and it was excellent. This is the Cayenne S with the 4.8 V8 and it barely raised a sweat. Setting the suspension to Sport mode hardened up the ride and made the car feel more stable but I could have left it in normal mode and it would have been fine. Off the line, the car hardly felt sluggish and you could barely notice the 1600kg hanging from the back while driving. My only gripe would be the prescription lense style side mirrors. While these are designed to eliminate the blind spot, the crazy amount of convex in them makes it hard to pick up detail in the mirror. This became evident when I ripped my mountain bike off the garage wall with the trailer guide polls when pulling the boat out. Very unimpressed and evidently I'm going to need a spotter when maneuvering in and out of the garage, something I've never needed with the Holdens. Overall it excelled at what it was designed to do. Can't wait for the weather to warm up.

15352231339_3a6568c584_z.jpgIMG_3849 by Simonk76, on Flickr

That"s on my bucket list - a mean boat and a beast to pull it. Nice,

Well here goes, just bought a 23' van to put behind our '16 diesel, wiring all done, ready to pick up on tuesday. We'll have to see if we need ride levellers, didn't fork out for PASM and hoping the springs will do the job, pics and report to come.

Well the van turned out to be 25' and 2500kg!!!! Hooked the van up and the ride angle was just acceptable. Put the suspension setting to sport, adjusted the electric brake setting and off we went. Towed it like a dream, plenty of poke off the line and climbing hills. The stock suspension is fine but I will fit a set of ride levellers just to put a tad more weight onto the steer wheels. Very impressed, fuel was showing 9.6/100km which is great. Now to see the looks we get when we pull into some parks ?

• 1 month later...

Sorry,   havent been on here for a while.  Have been unwell unfortunately

yeah ,  we get odd looks too.

Strange really,   i paid 48k for my CTT ( 2005 with 96k odd on the clock ),  and our van was 52k.

People in 180k+ motorhomes etc commenting on going camping or 4wd'ing with a 'Porsche.. '

ummm,  yeah,  ok....

Suits us though,  a very comfortable tow vehicle  :)

Your doing well eccomomy wise,  i get between 19 and 22 l/100km depending on the hills and head wind ...

having said that ,  our dual cab Colorado ute only managed 17l/100km.

Curse you right foot,  your costing me money  !!!   :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Anyone towing car trailers with their car?  Surrending to thoughts of german oiL burners instead of another Landy.. gonna retire the old horse to the paddock with 210,000kms .

Looking at a second hand end of the market . Any tips

Anyone towing car trailers with their car?  Surrending to thoughts of german oiL burners instead of another Landy.. gonna retire the old horse to the paddock with 210,000kms .

Looking at a second hand end of the market . Any tips

Well there's only one G wagen/ Swap one box for another!

Archived