Early 3L 930 whale tail

Shady Speedway

So my 1976 930 is sadly lacking the correct rear wing. I have been looking for some time and can't think why I had not tried here earlier? Yes there are some on ebay US but at $3500 it's not ideal.

For 75, 76 and 77. The 3.0L turbo years. The 930's ran a rear spoiler that was very differed to the later 3.3L cars. The change was to house the intercooler that the later cars had. 

Not only are the early ones (75 to 77) few and far between. Over the 3 years of production they managed to distribute out 3 types of spoiler with minor differences to add to my dilemma. A number of things contribute to the differences in the early ones, mainly the air conditioner, or lack of.

At the moment I have a later model spoiler (Tea Tray) with the addition of two other components that could be optioned. The 3rd brake light and the rear window wiper. I am willing to sell or trade this one, if those planets line up.

The image below is exactly what I am after. Some of these 3.0L spoilers had no second grill at the back. Some had a small secondary grill. The one I want has the larger of the second grills at the rear, as pictured. It can be with or without a windscreen wiper. Cash ready, I could pay spotters fees if a deal works out. 

I understand the 3.0L Carerra's had a similar spoiler?

post-2013-0-09578000-1417010423_thumb.jp

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been looking for one for a C3.o (no second grill) for two years and only one period correct one has shown up. Unfortunately for me another PFA member got to it before me.

Keep us posted if you find any of the three variants that aren't the full polyurethane version.

My understanding is (might be wrong)

This is the correct one for my car. September 75 - June 76 C3.0's
e2be61b9-fda7-44d4-b487-9560f2a7921e_zps

Russ is/was selling one of these.

bcf29ee1-e317-44b2-94f8-52224de2ff32_zps

76 Turbo's (September 75 - June 76) and 77 C3.o's

C5762BA5-2C53-4280-874B-3899ECBD1D3B-115

I believe these are for the 77 turbo's (September 76 - July 77) and was an option for the C3.o's of the same period

23D353A6-9B84-4B1F-87E4-C6B8FA027FE3-115

Some years ago I was able to pick up one of these engine lids NOS and also the rubber lip. There is a third piece which is the heat shield which attaches underneath. The construction of these tails is fibreglass over a steel base frame.

I would think a genuine lid would be worth the $3500 but who knows, you might get lucky if someone doesn't know what they have.

It is very easy to repair the air conditioner cut out if it is not required.

I was offered the real thing about a year ago. It had the correct grills and all the rear wiper assembly. He was asking $3G for it and I turned it down at the time. I rang him 6 months later to see if he wanted to negotiate and he didn't want to sell it. But that was Identical to the one I needed and I could nearly justify it.

I have seen them for in the US for anything from $600 to $1500 at times. Some guy has been advertising 2 of them. He wants over $4G for one. Needless to say it has been for sale for around a year.

I have not tracked down anybody over there that wants to package one and post it OS yet. I understand there are ways of getting them here (at great cost). But they all want somebody to roll up there drive and give them cash.

Something will turn up....... It was pointed out to me I missed out on one a week ago, Ebay AU $710 for the small grill version. DOH!

Shady, not sure if you're interested in a reproduction but this one just popped up in gumtree overnight if you haven't already seen it? no affiliation 

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/ashgrove/auto-body-parts/porsche-911-whale-tail-deck-lid/1063859355

The variations on whale tails still mystify me a little so apologies if it's the wrong one.

Hey Shady, looks like there is someone on Impact Bumpers looking to sell an early 930 spoiler, 2 grill.  Could be worth looking into.

Not sure if you'll be able to see the thread without logging in but pretty sure you can join the forum on the spot.

http://www.impactbumpers.com/forum/index.php?/topic/26680-3ltr-carreraearly-turbo-spoiler-genuine-porsche/ 

Unfortunately, I don't think they are going to come down in price any time soon .... seems like they are like hens teeth ...

I hear on the grapevine that SteveF is thinking of going bareback and he might be interested in selling his ... its a nice replica and has the large grill, but even if it was 1/2 price of an original, it would save you a ton of cash and look the part till / if you found an original.

I don't know what $$$ they sell for, but might be worth getting in touch with him .....

Somebody will pay it if they need one at short notice. There has been another one for sale on ebay US for around the 4 grand mark, it hasn't sold..............

People are cashing in on the boom. I found a guy in Sydney two years ago asking $3000. I thought it was too steep so I waited. 6 months later I called him back to see if we could come to an agreement, he flat refused to sell it.

If I could find a good one in Australia with the correct numbers, good rubber and the rear wiper. I might spend up to $3G, but it would want to be fairly good one. I could pay a grand for a complete roughy.

Archived