We recently went up to Lorne - Apollo Bay looking for interesting stop overs/cafes etc and of course, roads that allowed for very spirited driving :)

Having noticed a very interesting twisty road we had a blast, even though it was a busy Friday afternoon. 

Does anyone have a favourite for that Otway - Apollo Bay - Lorne region? post-2002-0-19743800-1417510109_thumb.pn

And the full roadpost-2002-0-16304700-1417510184_thumb.pn

The GOR between Apollo Bay and Princetown is magnificent.

I still remember one night when I was in a hurry heading back towards Melbourne trying to get a campsite in my Civic when I caught up to a guy in a Monaro which decided to try and show me who had the faster car, unfortunately head had to concede defeat through the Otways as I was all over him like a rash. He was nice enough to pull over and let me pass. He attempted to keep up with me but he dropped out of sight after a minute or two. I still remember the look of frustration on the guys face as I passed him.  ^_^

Never been on the GOR

Hoping to do a 3 week road trip to Victoria in March IF (always a bloody IF!) the 912 is done

Want to take in Philip Island Historics, catch up with a few mates and do the GOR

Never been on the GOR

Hoping to do a 3 week road trip to Victoria in March IF (always a bloody IF!) the 912 is done

Want to take in Philip Island Historics, catch up with a few mates and do the GOR

Let us know when you're in VIC. We could organise a GOR SMT. As long as the dates don't clash with events in that month.

• 2 weeks later...

I am thinking a GOR overnighter would be best. Wake up early on a Sunday somewhere very near the proper back tracks, would be awesome...then people can do there own thing also.

I know a very nice rental over in Lorne..., anyone up for organising an overnighter March?

• 2 weeks later...

We did the GOR to Port Campbell as a one day run on the forum.  Was a long day with an early start.

There was not that much interest at the time for a Weekend run.

There are some very nice twisty roads inland of Skenes Creek.  A lot less traveled then then the GOR but not the same scenery.

I was there not long ago. Didn't get to drive much of the roads due to traffic and midday. but the scenery is amazing.

I've been thinking of an SMT up there soon enough.

No it's useless.

Speed limits down everywhere, too many cars and too many prying eyes

webrest

Just been searching for good drives and stumbled onto the forum - signed up.

Yes totally agree the GOR is chaos at the moment. I was down there yesterday with family and the grid lock and stationary/stop and start was 9 kilometres out of Anglesea. It's the bumper to bumper caused by the roundabout in the shopping centre at Anglesea.

The 80 kmh speeds zones are being hammered - camera cars, police everywhere. It was a nightmare in the family wagon so would be very annoying in a performance ride.

But all that aside in the off season it's great to hold 80kmh around the sweeping curves - even a little drifting!!

Safe drives.

• 1 year later...

Some thoughts on Great Ocean Road for what they are worth:

Torquay - Ayres Inlet (2.5 stars)

Nice touring, some ocean glimpses but really just the access road to the decent bits. If coming from Melbourne you are better off to skip this and punch straight through to Winchlesea on the main highway then come down to Dean's Marsh (en route to Lorne). 

Aryes Inlet - Lorne (3 stars)

Great roads mixing tight and twisty Forrest sections with ocean panoramas. While some of the best roads, it is some of the worst conditions as Santa brought VicRoads a lot of 60kph signs and this section has been denutered from its former glory. Also as the main feeder to Lorne it is heavy traffic so even if you choose to give it a nudge there is limited opportunity and no passing lanes. 

Deans Marsh - Lorne (4.5 stars)

A great Forrest section, lots of second / third gear stuff. Roads are in good condition, enjoyable and challenging. Generally coarse chip finish with good grip although can have damp patches in winter. Biggest issue is local users, there is very little traffic volume but you get little warning of oncoming traffic so have your lights on and stay on your side of the road. This is a gem route. 

Lorne - Apollo Bay (5 stars)

Straight out of Lorne you are into smooth Tarmac, high grip twisties. perhaps those in water cooled cars may not find it as engaging as the limits of your cars are so high, but 993 and earlier this is your sort of road. Non power steering cars this is five star roads for you, lots of fun to be had in 80kph and 100kph zones, great feedback from the roads, a real variety of fast sweepers, hard breaking tight bends. Views are sublime and the best of the GOR. Only issue is traffic as no passing lanes, almost all is solid line no passing zones and most sedans will be at the speed limit on the straights but crawling on the corners. This can be hugely frustrating. Best just to pull over and try to build a 3-4 minute pocket then go again. Amazing post 2016 bushfire scenery. Traffic late afternoon can be surprisingly quiet an 4-7 pm you can sometimes get the whole place to yourself. Unless you are a targa florio guy, this is probably the best section for an 'enthusiastic amateur'.

Skeens Creek Road (4.5 stars)

Best to do as an offshoot from GOR (turnoff is 4-5 km short of Appollo Bay). Is a big climb up through the hills ,  good wide roads, lots of 3rd and 4th gear stuff, still proper quick in sections and not much traffic. Through Forrest sections this is a great section of road and again challenging within the speed limit .

Beech Forrest Road (3.5 stars)

this is actually a 5 star road but is so terrifying it has been down rated. The first section off the skeens creek road has about 15km of tight twisting second gear stuff. Brilliant interesting stuff but road is only 1.5 cars wide, visibility of oncoming traffic is limited, road is covered in stringy bark. In the instance where you can follow a quick driver through for him to 'clear the road' it is Porsche heaven with the engine / exhaust crackling and popping away and constant corners keeping you super focused . Without establishing the road is clear it is terrifying if you are pushing on, bring a change of undies. The later part through to Lavers Hill is nice open touring through farmland, very pleasant touring.

Apollo Bay - Lavers Hill (4 stars)

Some nice sections up into the Otways, good open roads and fast sweepers. Good visibility, roads generally chip seal but pretty smooth with decent grip . A lot of 80 & 100kph stuff that is still good in a air cooled car. Nice scenery but more fast touring than bare knuckle action. If you have come this far then press on and enjoy. Less traffic at this end and better passing opportunities.

Great write up mate. I spent Saturday doing most of these myself. Was raining and I was following a very hesitant motorcycle rider down into Skeens Creek but other than that, had a really great day of enthusiastic driving. 

We were staying in Deans Marsh, did a Saturday night run to Lorne and back for dinner down Deans Marsh-Lorne Road which was really cool in the pitch black. 

We're heading back down that way tomorrow - the mini break 18 months ago was ace ; we ended up at Portland (can highly recommend staying at the lighthouse keeper's cottage).

Seeing a show (Matilda) then attempting to make our way through Melbourne traffic...not used to this

2 days of driving and it's all roadworks , caravans and Winnebagos , 4wd with boats , a certain genre of tourist driving at 50% of the limit (no overtaking lanes in this part of the world) , log trucks and people parking at random angles hanging their vehicle butts out on the road and wandering behind oblivious to traffic.

Heli ride over the Apostles was OK but get back to the carpark after walking to the beach and it's teeming with bus tourists.

Seen but one classic - Ford Customline - and not a single motorbike.

Glad we didn't hire an exotic. In daylight hours it would be wasted.

Anyway the scenery and history are A1! And for those visiting Melbourne , Matilda is highly recommended for all ages.

• 2 weeks later...

One of my regular high speed drives is the rural back roads of Horsley Park into Cecil Park and finish of on Mt Vernen in Keeps Creek ,,tight twisty narrow back roads with little margin for error and a lot of fun at speed ..........   :D

• 5 months later...

Our local member of Parliment Anne Henderson MP just announced the re opening of the Great Ocean Road.

It has been closed for weeks due to heavy rain and landslides.

Put it in your weekend drive list. Unashamedly promoting this area as businesses have suffered badly since the closure. Many businesses just closed and went on holiday as traffic was down to limited local traffic - a 95% ructions in car traffic.

The road from Lorne up through the hills is good fun as is the section from Lorne to Apollo Bay.

:D See you on the road soon.

• 1 year later...

I was down there last weekend (in the DD loaded with family and gear).

There are still some road works happening due to the landslides from a year or so back.

Between Lorne and Wye River there is one section of single lane with traffic controls at either end. 

And from Wye River to Apollo Bay there were two or three sections like this.

Otherwise the road was in good shape.

Archived