Clay & polish recommendations

hugh

Hey,

Anyone have a good polish and clay recommendation? Ideally something that's available locally (ie Autobarn etc.) as I would ideally like to pick something up tomorrow.

Any good suggestions welcomed including tips and tricks for best results!

Cheers, Hugh.

Hugh,

Whilst I can't say I any have strong preferences with the polishes or clays I've used, but for waxes I've just started to use http://www.meguiars.com.au/polish-protect/ultimate-liquid-wax/ and I'm impressed.

(Thanks Simon or Mike or whoever has the shiny 996 that was a great product endorsement for me to give it a try!)

Any decent clay will be fine. The meguires great is decent. You'll plow through the spray lube though.

By polish, do you mean wax or something to correct the paint?

I think most of the waxes you find at the local stores are OK. Meguires, mothers, autoglym are all OK. They'll do the job of protection.

I like to use a sealant, then throw down some wax over that.

Also:

Www.waxit.com.au

http://www.detailparadise.com.au/forum.php

Hugh,Whilst I can't say I any have strong preferences with the polishes or clays I've used, but for waxes I've just started to use http://www.meguiars.com.au/polish-protect/ultimate-liquid-wax/ and I'm impressed.(Thanks Simon or Mike or whoever has the shiny 996 that was a great product endorsement for me to give it a try!)

Thanks mate, I'll check it out - mikes car is pretty shiny!

Any decent clay will be fine. The meguires great is decent. You'll plow through the spray lube though.

By polish, do you mean wax or something to correct the paint?

I think most of the waxes you find at the local stores are OK. Meguires, mothers, autoglym are all OK. They'll do the job of protection.

I like to use a sealant, then throw down some wax over that.

Also:

Www.waxit.com.auhttp://www.detailparadise.com.au/forum.php

Apologies, looking for a wax to finish off after the clay - not really looking for correction, just to get it sealed and looking extra shiny!

I use Dodo grey clay bar. Not too aggressive and gets rid of tar and other crap. Another vote for Menzerna if you're talking about true polish (correcting compound). Buy their sample kit from carcareproducts.com.au and that will last for some time and has three levels of compound from aggressive for bad swirls, to fine to get rid of any marks you make whilst using the aggressive stuff. This is all for machine polishing of course.  https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/product/menzerna/sampler_kit

As for wax?. Sky's the limit. You can order products made from dolphin tears for a few thousand $'s if you like, but Dodo is what I use. My car is silver so I use their "Light Fantastic" wax. https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/product/dodo_juice/light_fantastic 

Car colour will determine your choice. Their "Super Natural" is brilliant, but a bit pricey. The range is pretty well priced overall.

I often use Meguiars quick wax (spray on) after a wash to deepen the colour, it only lasts a short amount of time compared to other methods, but does help keep the bugs and dirt from sticking.

You might want to take a look at Detail paradise forums some amazing jobs in there for inspiration with the products they have used and might be some great recommendations for what stage your car is at. 

Meguiars and Autoglym are good for polish. Mothers I seem to have to use more and it doesn't last as long.

Currently using a Meguiars clay bar and used Menzerna Ultra PP for polishing after I picked it up, but that's a machine polish.

I've been using the Autoglym products for a while and have been pretty happy with them. Meguiars and Mothers seem to have a good rep too though. I'll get down to the shops this morning and check them out, maybe the guy at the shop will know something!

Hugh,

Whilst I can't say I any have strong preferences with the polishes or clays I've used, but for waxes I've just started to use http://www.meguiars.com.au/polish-protect/ultimate-liquid-wax/ and I'm impressed.

(Thanks Simon or Mike or whoever has the shiny 996 that was a great product endorsement for me to give it a try!)

I use this wax also and have been happy with the results. It really makes my blue Hilux shine, I reckon it will do wonders on the red duco Hugh.

Something I thought I might share but most of you will have known for years, be sure when washing your cars you are using a detergent that wont strip the wax. Until the last 5 years or so I used whatever kitchen washing up liquid I had. What I didn't know is this stuff not only contains a high amount of salt (last thing I want near my car) but it also strips the wax. Most truck wash will also strip the wax. Be sure to use a proper car wash detergent that states it is wax friendly. If it doesn't mention it wont strip the wax then it probably will. (tip from a guy I knew who spent 20years in the detailing industry)

He also told me never the touch the paint with a shammy, "chamois leather cloth" (it's for glass only in his mind) his recommendation is to blow the majority of the water off the car with the leaf blower and then micro-fibre towel her off. I have been using this technique for 5 years now and my cars look so much better for it.

Cheers

Ben

I've used Meguiars clay bar, wetlook polish, and softwash. The softwash doesn't suds up great but cleans well and shines awesome.

My tip with claybar is use plenty of the lube in small areas at a time.

The wetlook is easy application especially if you use the foam pad applicators. No swirling and hard rubbing. In fact apply along the panel not in swirls.

Speaking of the washing, I've been using one of these for a bit over a year and can recommend for the soaping up and the hand mitt phases. Also on special I notice: https://www.autobarn.com.au/ez-jet-wash-gun

Sorry Hugh, we've all got a bit carried away! I like your style though, keep it simple and locally available.

I generally use either quick detailer or some left over suds from washing when claying instead of just straight water so that any grit that you take off doesn't scratch.

I'm hoping PCV will be doing another maaterclaas detailers event for show and shines this coming year. They ran one in April. Might be worth checking out if you're interested.

I just got a bowdens own clay bar kit for Christmas...no chance to try it yet. I do have some bowdens own car wash and eh say it's the only one on the market with no salt...not sure about how true that is, but it doesn't have any salt.

Their stuff is high quality and made in Australia so from here on out I'm going to support them. Incidentally their leather cleaner is the best stuff I have ever used - just used it to clean up a child vomit scenario and it works a treat.

You can use dish soap when you want to strip the wax. Like if you're going clay bar or paint correct. But make sure you put sealant or wax on afterwards.

The meguires stuff isnt bad. I think the main point is it smells like bubblegum. Everything smells sweet afterwards and thus an increased sense of success! :P

Spend the next day chain watching Larry kosilla and youllve well prepared! Haha

I ended up getting Mothers clay and have proceeded to clay the car. I read all the instructions and did as I was told so I believe it was a success? It felt smooth and my garage smells nice.................?

So what's next? Do I hit the car with a polish then wax or can you just move onto a combined type jobby?

To clarify, this is all part of my 964 pamper session so we are on a 'white' paint, no visible scratches or swirls in the paintwork (or at least from what I can see). When washing the car the paint has felt 'dry' but this could be due to me being used to washing the red car as paint is pretty much like new and waxed within an inch of its garage dwelling life. I did expect the clay component to be pretty involved as a result but it was pretty manageable + I kept it well lubed.

I'm enjoying the chat and feedback gents, thanks again!

In my experience the dish liquid will strip the wax. The clay strips wax as well, so it should feel dry.

The Meguiars soft wash leaves it on.

I just use the Meguiars wet look after clay, then soft wash.

Easy n looks great. White here also.

Just wash and wax. Not too much you can do since it's white and you can't get depth of colour compared to dark colored cars.

The waxing will just make it easier to clean next time. Do love a white car though.

You can move on to the meguiars interior protectant with scotch guard on your exterior plastic, seals and engine bay.

I've recently been using Mothers synthetic wax and it is much easier to apply and buff than the traditional waxes. Doesn't seem to matter if there's a bit of moisture in the air e.g in the evenings. 

A bit disappointed no-one's admitting to using this  Are we that tight?

I've recently been using Mothers synthetic wax and it is much easier to apply and buff than the traditional waxes. Doesn't seem to matter if there's a bit of moisture in the air e.g in the evenings. 

A bit disappointed no-one's admitting to using this  Are we that tight?

That's not a wax. THIS is a wax. http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B000F3K0T8   Made from Seahorse saliva, and Blue Whale eyebrows 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Hugh. Have you checked these https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/ guys yet? Highly recommend them. They sell top quality polishes/waxes and also many other things. I've been going to them for the past 4 years and only buy their products when it comes to cleaning cars. Let me know if you want more info, happy to help

Archived