Clay & polish recommendations

hugh

Another good option is http://www.chemguys.com.au/.

I use their thick microfibre cloths, drying towel, clay bar (and lube spray), trim gel, wash and wax with gloss and Jetseal.  In particular I really like the Jetseal.  I find it creates a deeper shine and lasts.  I've tried using waxes over the top but for general use I don't bother as the Jetseal is good on it's own.

I've done a white car with Jetseal and it did give it that extra sparkle, although it was a newer car (2010) with very good paint to start with.

For a really thorough job a light machine polish is also a good step, even if the paint looks good.

There is a Chem Guys shop in Melbourne but I order online and have it delivered to save time.

PS.  This sounds like an ad but it isn't!!  I originally read about Chem Guys from Pelican Parts a few years ago and been using their stuff ever since.

I use mostly stuff from Car Care Products (their wash, the 'Mint' foam lance and additive, as well as the 'Mint' clay bar and lube) Aside from wax which i use the Meguires 'Quick Wax' - it's great for cheating! - spray on, microfiber cloth to wipe it down

For wheels this is the best stuff i've ever used (thanks to FlatSix for putting me onto it):

qu99t2y4.jpg?1401499426

https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/product/einszett_1z/colourtec_wheel_cleaner

This could be construed as an advertisement too - Car Care Products supports my Cars & Coffee event, but it's not, I would mention if their stuff wasn't any good (and I use it on my own cars)

I must say with all the car cleaning products on the market its all a bit overwhelming.................... :rolleyes:

In the end I ended up using a Meguiars Clay bar (kit) then the 3 stage Autoglym product process clean/Super Resin Polish/Extra Gloss Protection. 

I then hit all the rubbers and black bits (window frames etc.) with a Meguiars black shiny stuff/protector product (don't have the name on hand) and of course the tyres with some more shiny stuff  :D

I also purchased some Vuplex do to the interior plastics/vinyl and leather cream (again Autoglym) that I am yet to get onto. I did the external detail in conjunction with replacing a bunch of external rubbers and plastics, cleaning the inside of all the panels etc. as I removed them - that + the clean took me the better part of a week (few hours each afternoon/evening). The clean lasted all of a matter of seconds as I then took the car out on our recent SMT but I was hoping that the clean afterwards would be where all the work payed off and it did exactly that. 

Just a bucket of water (only) and sponge down, most water beaded off and it was a quick wipe over with a microfibre and it was back to its pre-SMT shiny state.  :)

I had planned to take it to a professional to do it properly (and probably still will at the end of winter) but I wanted to spend some time getting to know the 964 and the summer 'break' was a good time to make time to do so + the car being white didn't scare me so much if I made a mistake! 

I did take some quick pics before I took it out, not great but hopefully show some depth even for 'white';

IMG_1746_zps8a0c27bb.jpg

IMG_1745_zps1855035e.jpg

IMG_1743_zps8bff7381.jpg

Looks fantastic. The work pays off even more when you do a long trip or a track day and have rubber or bugs stuck to your car. Can even get away with leaving it for a couple of days in the garage before it's cleaned or a day in the sun and heat.

Once you get into the detailing side of things it can be quite rewarding and a way of spending time with the car without adding km's or spending too much money.

Once you get into the detailing side of things it can be quite rewarding and a way of spending time with the car without adding km's or spending too much money.

My thoughts exactly.  B)

• 1 month later...

Having recently used clay for the first time, I must say I am a convert.

First used the Meguirs kit on my VZ Ute, just to see how it goes...the ute is orange and the results are sensational. The surface is like glass the colour retention is spot on. Followed up by some wet look polish and the ute looks brand new.

Needless to say that being happy with the results prompted me to do the same on the P car. I am glad I did as I received plenty of compliments at a recent get together. Not bad for a 24yr old paint job.

So if anyone is still sitting on the fence, all I suggest is give it a go..I am glad I did.

I ended up getting Mothers clay and have proceeded to clay the car. I read all the instructions and did as I was told so I believe it was a success? It felt smooth and my garage smells nice.................?

So what's next? Do I hit the car with a polish then wax or can you just move onto a combined type jobby?

To clarify, this is all part of my 964 pamper session so we are on a 'white' paint, no visible scratches or swirls in the paintwork (or at least from what I can see). When washing the car the paint has felt 'dry' but this could be due to me being used to washing the red car as paint is pretty much like new and waxed within an inch of its garage dwelling life. I did expect the clay component to be pretty involved as a result but it was pretty manageable + I kept it well lubed.

I'm enjoying the chat and feedback gents, thanks again!

I bought a DA polisher from Car Care Products and have used it on a white car (BMW).  I was helping a friend who had some minor scuffs to remove.  What we noticed was that the buffed area had a bit more depth to it.  We then applied a protective coating (2 x applications of Jetseal from ChemGuys) and it came up with a nice wet look.

Clay the glass and use a product like Forever Black on the relevant trim and you should be happy with the results.  I'm using Forever Black on the wheel well inner plastic guards and it brings them back to new looking, ignoring the little stone divots of course.

I agree that a good quality wash rather than dishwashing liquid is the way to go.

• 2 months later...

My vote goes to the Autoglym High Definition Cleanser and Wax - Expensive but the best combination I have ever used - Particularly by hand application

You won't be disappointed

Archived