The Sportomatic Thread!

Russ

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That looks a lot like a black 911 that blew out my eardrums.

No, that car is MUCH louder, and a proper 5 speed as well!

Well it is now, it left the factory as a Viper Green Sporto. So I guess I kind of could belong to the Sporto Club. Not something to brag about.

Ultimate ?maybe? Sportomatic Gearbox Rebuild on Pelican Forums by a Melbourne-based owner -

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/507875-ultimate-maybe-sportomatic-gearbox-rebuild.html

Sportomatics rock.

I would have one over a 915 in a heartbeat, and do hope to own another in the future.

Rowing through the gears like a manual, and rev-matching on the down-shifts, is just SO much fun.

If you've never spent any quality time in a sporto, you've missed a remarkable part of the classic 911 mystique.

When the time comes I'd seek out a Sporto over a manual! I was hooked when RSR let me drive a Sporto SC he had. I loved it.

I want a Sporto T-Shirt! "more fun than heel 'n toe, drive a sporto"

And that black Targa build vid is too cool!

No, that car is MUCH louder, and a proper 5 speed as well!

Well it is now, it left the factory as a Viper Green Sporto. So I guess I kind of could belong to the Sporto Club. Not something to brag about.

Is your fuse/connector plastic cover in the engine bay missing? It has heaps of sportomatic information on the back side of it if it's still there

Can you still buy all the components of a Sporto gearbox?

And is there experts in Australia that rebuild them?

Might be a good thread to put this type of knowledge in.

The SC I drove was converted to Manual and then had its price raised by $10k. Ouch!

The only component i've tried to buy is a 'clutch kit' but all you can buy is a clutch disc (the pressure plate and throw out bearing are NLA)

I'm not sure how you'd go getting a box rebuilt, there are a heap of gearboxes around the place from converted cars though

I would assume Porsche still has some parts like gears and bearings etc

I find that around town I generally use D (where second gear sits on the gear stick) and D1 (3rd). I only really use L (1st) when starting off on hills and D2 on the freeway. The trick is to time the gear change as sometimes I find that the clutch disengages quickly whereas other times not. A year on I am still getting used to this car but loving every minute of it.

So it's just like driving around in 2nd?  Wow, I mean I guess you can.  I'd still find myself rowing the gearbox I think.  Though I do love a lazy drive through the country where you just leave it in 3rd and try and keep up a nice flow instead of accelerating and braking hard.

Kris,Wow! So you have a Sporto and a Tip?

Peter, yeah I have both :). The white car was a bit of an impulse, but it's a coupe and I couldn't say no because of the condition / price.

While I'd prefer a manual, it can be quite fun to drive. Mine has been rebuilt so it's shifting pretty well. The only problem is to open it right up on the road means your in the 'in losing my license' area of speeding!

Archived