The Sportomatic Thread!

Russ

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still struggling to understand how being a bad advert is a disadvantage to anyone who wants to buy the car

My personal take on it being a crap advert is not from the wanting to buy it point of view ..... it is from the "I want to check it out" point .......

I think we comment on the bad adverts from the sellers perspective as we can see they are not doing everything to promote their car to maximise their chances of selling .... and to showcase their car in the best possible light .... and that frustrates us.

As for buying ..... you are right for the person that buys the car ...... but there are buyers that won't call because they think "crap ad, crap car" ..... so potentially miss out on a decent car because of a crap advert ....

If you want to check it out - ring the seller and go and look at it or get them to send better pictures

Why would/should it frustrate anyone? It's the sellers car to represent as they want, it doesn't affect anyone aside from the seller of the car (and if someone bothers to contact the seller to find out it's a great car, they get a good deal with no competition)

I guess it's their loss if they don't sell a car because the ad doesn't look great, but missing out on a car because you didn't contact the seller because the pictures looked crap? How hard is it to send an email or use a telephone

This is probably a discussion for the 'what's for sale (in Australia) and worth mentioning' thread though

If you want to check it out - ring the seller and go and look at it or get them to send better pictures

I don't call or ask for more photos as I have less than 0% interest in actually buying these cars (both sportos and manuals) ...... just like to look, compare and dream .... saves both my time and more importantly the sellers time and hopes of selling to me .....

I suppose that could bring up another discussion point .... why should I bother looking if I don't intend to buy?

Why would/should it frustrate anyone? It's the sellers car to represent as they want, it doesn't affect anyone aside from the seller of the car (and if someone bothers to contact the seller to find out it's a great car, they get a good deal with no competition)

I guess it's their loss if they don't sell a car because the ad doesn't look great, but missing out on a car because you didn't contact the seller because the pictures looked crap? How hard is it to send an email or use a telephone

This is probably a discussion for the 'what's for sale (in Australia) and worth mentioning' thread though

There is a universe of difference between a buyer and a tyre kicker.  Sometimes a good ad can tip a kicker into a buyer, but the serious buyer will enquire even if it's a grainy photo and little information.

I used to moan about real estate ads with no prices on them.  Then I was convinced by an agent to list with no advertised price.  A buyer came along and offered more than expected.  The point is that most people looking at ads are either dreaming, kicking tyres or keeping an eye on the market.  But you only have to write an ad for a specific type - the buyer.  After all it's the price and condition of the car that makes the sale more than the ad. A dealer will use as little detail as possible so that you have to contact them to get more information, and that's when you can be convinced to buy.

That said, the previously listed sporto ad was very well done, and that type of thing can kick a few lurkers into enquiries - probably.

I'm still struggling to understand how being a bad advert is a disadvantage to anyone who wants to buy the car

Hey, I'm just nosy and want better pics of the Sporto and don't expect to be criticized for that on here...

The only component i've tried to buy is a 'clutch kit' but all you can buy is a clutch disc (the pressure plate and throw out bearing are NLA)

I'm not sure how you'd go getting a box rebuilt, there are a heap of gearboxes around the place from converted cars though

I would assume Porsche still has some parts like gears and bearings etc

FWIW I sourced a release bearing for a 925 Sporto for a customer towards the end of last year.

It took a little bit of looking.   B)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not sure if this has already been posted but I just found this link to the sportomatic annex to the drivers manual. It is 8Mb so may take a minute to open. It has some interesting info on adjustment etc

http://content.us.porsche-clubs.porsche.com/PorscheClubs/klassieke-porsche-911-en-912-club/files/Driving_with_SportomaticUSA.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

I drove a 4 spd sporto the other week - cracker. Hadn't driven one for about 28 years, when my dah was looking at one, took a bit of remembering to either keep my hand on mine or the passengers knee, but once remembered.

I drove a 4 spd sporto the other week - cracker. Hadn't driven one for about 28 years, when my dah was looking at one, took a bit of remembering to either keep my hand on mine or the passengers knee, but once remembered.

It's great that you enjoyed it, but knowing what we know now (I'm presuming you were with SteveF) ..... I sincerely hope you kept your hand on YOUR knee .... :unsure:

Sorry again Steve, but I just keep getting the ammunition .....

Archived