987 Short Shifter

Barks

Yes I have - I've got the original Porsche SS. I did my research and decided to pay a little more for the original Porsche instead of the aftermarket ones for Four reasons.

1. With the aftermarket ones, you have to re-use and cut the original (non-short) shifter housing to install the aftermarket SS.

2. The aftermarket SS tend to be hard to shift when the car is still warming up. 

3. Any savings you made buying the aftermarket unit would be absorbed by the labour to modify the original housing to accept it. The original Porsche SS bolts right in - less labour involved.

4. If you want to return your car to it's original state, you will have to buy a new (non-short) shifter. 

Thanks Apogee. Factory short shift seems to get the most thumbs up. I'm getting mine done soon at Autohaus, but they havent mentioned what they use.

You may also want to look up "Numeric Shifter Cables" too. Bit stronger than the plastic ends on the standard cable. Bit more noise though

We've installed many Numeric sets.  As NineElevensies mentions, they do let some noise into the cabin, but the demographic that installs them tends to accept the increased noise as part of the package.

The Numeric shifter bolts into the standard console, and offers degrees of quickness to the shift.  A shorter shift action equals more effort to shift, but hey, that's physics for you.

We've installed many Numeric sets.  As NineElevensies mentions, they do let some noise into the cabin, but the demographic that installs them tends to accept the increased noise as part of the package.

The Numeric shifter bolts into the standard console, and offers degrees of quickness to the shift.  A shorter shift action equals more effort to shift, but hey, that's physics for you.

I second this, the Numeric Racing Short Shifter is a fantastic bit of kit.  It is all metal and beautifully engineered.  It is the sort of kit that will last the life of the car and from my perspective is one of the best additions to my car.

Some of the other kits have some plastic components which have greater potential for breakage. It has three different positions so you have some limited adjust-ability regarding its feel to personalise.

Numeric Racing is a brand and it comes as package, you don't need to change anything else in terms of cables etc

https://www.gt-racing.com/products-page/996-gt3/numeric-racing-short-throw-shifter-part1005/

Have a look at Rennlist as there are a few threads that discuss the pros and cons of all the different options, here are some of them

https://www.gt-racing.com/products-page/996-gt3/numeric-racing-short-throw-shifter-part1005/

http://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/727745-numeric-racings-short-shifter.html 

Hi Warren (that's easier to type!)

I stock the Numeric stuff, but that said, if your car comes to Autohaus Hamilton, it will get what you want installed.

The big advantage of the Numeric shifters is that they allow a range of settings (from memory, it's 3).

Their stuff is just beautifully made, quality kit.

When you're ready to pull the trigger on a short shift kit, come and talk it through with us and make an informed decision on what best suits your needs and budget.

Good info, thanks for that. Some further reading for my commute home.

I second this, the Numeric Racing Short Shifter is a fantastic bit of kit.  It is all metal and beautifully engineered.  It is the sort of kit that will last the life of the car and from my perspective is one of the best additions to my car.

Some of the other kits have some plastic components which have greater potential for breakage. It has three different positions so you have some limited adjust-ability regarding its feel to personalise.

Numeric Racing is a brand and it comes as package, you don't need to change anything else in terms of cables etc

Have a look at Rennlist as there are a few threads that discuss the pros and cons of all the different options, here are some of them

http://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/727745-numeric-racings-short-shifter.html 

Ooh...when I did mine... the Numeric SS wasn't available yet and the projected price was expensive - double the Porsche OEM. Otherwise, I would have been very tempted. I was also under the (mistaken) impression from their website that the early prototypes would not fit into the console. 

I was referring to the B&M SS and it's numerous (cheaper) copies.

http://www.bmracing.com/products/45135-manual-short-shifter-precision-shifter-porsche-996-and-997/

+1 for the numeric shifter Cables. Had mine done  at Autohaus just before Christmas!

I was tossing between a SS, the cables or do both and decided to take it step by step to enjoy the journey. The numeric cables have completely changed the shifting feel for me, taking it to the next level - I had a partly faulty cable which made a 2nd-3rd feel quite sloppy and easily missed.

As mentioned, there is an whine that is brought into the cabin, say if the stock volume is 1/10, it would be no more than turning it up to volume 2/10. It's a harmonic that I actually enjoy :)

The shifting now feels like a rifle bolt, smooth and slick with a lot less play. It is adjustable in you can make it feel really heavy or in my case more of a middle ground weight. I'd imagine if combined with a SS, it be a super tight shift which you click into gear - like the 80's arcade simulator "hard drivin'" if you've ever played that one!

• 5 years later...
On 26/01/2015 at 13:51, Euge said:

+1 for the numeric shifter Cables. Had mine done  at Autohaus just before Christmas!

I was tossing between a SS, the cables or do both and decided to take it step by step to enjoy the journey. The numeric cables have completely changed the shifting feel for me, taking it to the next level - I had a partly faulty cable which made a 2nd-3rd feel quite sloppy and easily missed.

As mentioned, there is an whine that is brought into the cabin, say if the stock volume is 1/10, it would be no more than turning it up to volume 2/10. It's a harmonic that I actually enjoy :)

The shifting now feels like a rifle bolt, smooth and slick with a lot less play. It is adjustable in you can make it feel really heavy or in my case more of a middle ground weight. I'd imagine if combined with a SS, it be a super tight shift which you click into gear - like the 80's arcade simulator "hard drivin'" if you've ever played that one!

Hey Euge,

Do you still have this car? 

My 987 Boxster seems to have the same problem that yours had with the old cables. 

I'm agonising over what cables to install because I've been told I won't like the noise from the Numeric cables. 

So I'm keen to know more from those who've got the Numerics.

Thanks,

David.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/03/2020 at 12:13, DMcCook said:

Hey Euge,

Do you still have this car? 

My 987 Boxster seems to have the same problem that yours had with the old cables. 

I'm agonising over what cables to install because I've been told I won't like the noise from the Numeric cables. 

So I'm keen to know more from those who've got the Numerics.

Thanks,

David.

Hi David, 

I do. Most Indy's have suggested reverting back to standard cables as they prefer the lighter feel without the knotchiness/stiffness of a SS/cable.

I've always preferred my cars on the raw side - bumpy, stiff, noisy. I went with a LWF that rattles at idle and have been happily living with it so that's the kind of owner I am :) The Cables carry NVH into the cabin like a radio with dirty electric connection but more mechanical. My car isn't a good example for noise levels because I also run stiffer tranny mounts + a FF engine mount insert which makes it sound like there's no sound proofing.

Can also msg this guy on youtube for feedback. He's only got the cable installed 

Cool - thanks for getting back to me. 

Since posting my question, both Sydney independent workshops I've spoken to have strongly recommended avoiding the Numerics and sticking with factory cables. ;-\

Noise in cars is such a subjective thing, (as is "feel", I guess). 

So long as my shift is not vague, I think I'm inclined to take the advice of the guys who I think I'm going to get to do the work. Especially if they can confirm that they agree it is the cables that are at fault at present.

I had already found Max Revs' videos - as I understand that video, he had his replaced with new factory cables, which seems to support the idea that the factory cables are good when new. On the other hand, they don't seem to last very long - they seem to have a reputation for failure - hence I liked the sound of the heavier duty Numeric cables.

Mind you, I might not be doing anything for a long time, if this &^%$ virus shuts down our society for the foreseeable future. ;-\

Thanks again.

David.

On ‎22‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 15:58, DMcCook said:

Cool - thanks for getting back to me. 

Since posting my question, both Sydney independent workshops I've spoken to have strongly recommended avoiding the Numerics and sticking with factory cables. ;-\

Noise in cars is such a subjective thing, (as is "feel", I guess). 

So long as my shift is not vague, I think I'm inclined to take the advice of the guys who I think I'm going to get to do the work. Especially if they can confirm that they agree it is the cables that are at fault at present.

I had already found Max Revs' videos - as I understand that video, he had his replaced with new factory cables, which seems to support the idea that the factory cables are good when new. On the other hand, they don't seem to last very long - they seem to have a reputation for failure - hence I liked the sound of the heavier duty Numeric cables.

Mind you, I might not be doing anything for a long time, if this &^%$ virus shuts down our society for the foreseeable future. ;-\

Thanks again.

David.

I changed my OEM cables on my 2006 Cayman S as precautionary. I heard too many horror stories of those being left stranded. I too, toyed with the idea of going Numerics or Porsche OEM. I went OEM in the end, like MaxRevs (a channel I also religiously follow).

Porsche released a revised bracket, which was installed as well. It alters the angle of the cable to 'reduce' (hopefully eliminate) the stress on the cable, which was a faulty design of the original. I guess I just wanted to keep my car OEM, as well as my independent preferring that I kept OEM also.

If it lasts another 14 years, I'll be happy ;)

2 hours ago, DMcCook said:

That’s exactly where I’m at. 
except it appears that the new bracket isn’t applicable to my 6 speed 05 Boxster S, which is confusing. 

Hmm, that's strange... I have a 6spd Cayman S from 2006.

My mechanic supplied and fitted mine, but maybe check the below link.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/987SCAB.html

The website isn't very clear, but it says that the original hardware has been discontinued and the newer one fits 05-12 Boxster and Caymans, and the additional bracket should be purchased.

Or, you can just email Suncoast and/or check with your local OPC.