996 GT3 Purchase

2 hours ago, Windsor289 said:

Dutton's have just released a short clip for their 996 GT3 RS currently for sale❤️

Mate looked at that car when they first listed it 3 months ago. Negotiating on price and they wouldn’t meet him on what was a fair offer. He ended up buying the one out of Richmond’s in Adelaide instead for his price and it had lower k’s. Interesting this car is now for sale  below the price he offered ?

im heading in to Duttons again on Friday lunch time whilst in Melb to kick a few Tyres if the merc I’m interested in has arrived in stock. Always a great visit with so much on display and the coffees not bad for Melb ?

The silver QLD sold a few weeks back  , craps on that for value , dont you think??

Kms high?

and whats the stuff on the air vents.. surely not Porsche or after market quality , am I missing something looks cheap?

10 hours ago, symsy said:

The silver QLD sold a few weeks back  , craps on that for value , dont you think??

Kms high?

and whats the stuff on the air vents.. surely not Porsche or after market quality , am I missing something looks cheap?

Ks were 56,000, best value that’s been available for quite some time. Very complete car, extinguisher, front cage, isolater switch - nice colour, it’s all there

Aus delivered CS

42 minutes ago, Jason A said:

Ks were 56,000, best value that’s been available for quite some time. Very complete car, extinguisher, front cage, isolater switch - nice colour, it’s all there

Aus delivered CS

Its now at Dutton. 

12 minutes ago, Windsor289 said:

Touring, no 003 option on bonnet sticker. (same motor, gearbox, suspension & brakes as Clubsport)

Good looking photo & setting ? 549lvy3m4hoxjuzs1frdxiy1g.jpg?pxc_method=crop&pxc_size=160%2c105

Good pick up, I noticed that too. 

1 hour ago, edgy said:

Its now at Dutton.

Might now be gone ?

had my first drive of a 996GT3RS last night helping a mate shuffle some cars up to Willoughby. I went the long way via Frenchs Forest OMG what a car and I now get the whole GT3 thing.?

57 minutes ago, Tips said:

Might now be gone ?

had my first drive of a 996GT3RS last night helping a mate shuffle some cars up to Willoughby. I went the long way via Frenchs Forest OMG what a car and I now get the whole GT3 thing.?

Well now you need to drive a 996 gt3 and tell us if the rs is really worth more than double the dollars of the standard gt3.

39 minutes ago, dipstick said:

Well now you need to drive a 996 gt3 and tell us if the rs is really worth more than double the dollars of the standard gt3.

No problem. Any offers of 996.2 GT3’s for me to take for a spin this weekend in Syd?

I had 2 options to drive. A 991 R or the 996RS. Mate was quite surprised I knocked back the R. I wasn’t had put a lot of thought into it 

2 hours ago, dipstick said:

Looks like Tips had a dilemma ..

An RS is probably like sitting Sennas car vs the a remebrance  of  Senna stickered car being the R 

Once you climb a ladder and stand on the GT step thinking your at the pinnacle  and then the next few moments later the cloud clears only to see in next  few steps a few hallowed badges appearing as a challenge your mind goes fuzzy.  

An RS will always be aspiration if you can afford it. Even if your only ever gonna take that car down the high street ;) 

Once you climbed that mountain you will look around an also wonder.. shit there are others to climb or multiple car ownership of the Pcar kind becomes a thought

PolyGTcaramory who hasnt thought about it or wanted to live it 

And the dream probably starts at 105k if you ring Mr whitey from WA with the wobbly GT3 sticker .. hasnt anyone gone and seen that fuchen car yet 

Thanks to Wikipedia I now can start to evaluate the difference between a 996.2 GT3 and 996.2 GT3 RS;

996.2 GT3 RS[edit]

In 2003, Porsche introduced the Porsche 911 GT3 RS, an even more track-focused version of the 996 GT3. RS is short for the German RennSport, literally "racing sport" in English. The "RS" moniker, and the characteristic lightweight blue or red wheels and "GT3 RS" side stickers link the 996 GT3 RS to historically important Porsches such as the Carrera 2.7 RS of the early 1970s. The 996 GT3 RS is lighter than the 996 GT3 thanks to a polycarbonate rear window, carbon fiber hood and rear wing. Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB) Carbon fibre-reinforced Silicon Carbide (C/SiC) ceramic composite brakes, which are also more heat and fade resistant than the cast iron units fitted as standard, are optional.

The 996 GT3 RS has a slightly different engine specification to the 996 GT3. The cylinder heads of the 996 GT3 RS have reshaped intake and exhaust ports for race homologation. Porsche claim the same 381 hp (284 kW) power output as the standard GT3 but Porsche's control dyno showed a jump to nearly 400 hp (298 kW) The RS also has progressive springs rather than linear. The dampers are uprated and are between 10 and 15 percent stiffer than the 996 GT3 in bounce and rebound.

The wheel carriers are totally redesigned to maximize the improved dynamic camber control. The suspension top mounts can be turned 120 degrees to a cup car position. Both front and rear control arms are adjustable. The RS is 3 mm (0.1 in) lower than the 996 GT3.

The RS rear wing delivers 35 kg (77 lb) of downforce at 125 mph (201 km/h). The RS has ram air ducts on the engine bay which force air into the intake with 18mb of pressure at 187 mph (301 km/h) and this is enough to create an additional 15 bhp (11 kW; 15 PS). That extra bhp cannot be homologated since the official engine output figures are certified on a dynanometer.

The Porsche 996 GT3 RS had a production run from 2003 to 2005. Only 140 right hand drive 996 GT3 RS cars were built by Porsche and 113 of those were officially imported into the UK. The 996 GT3 RS was not sold in the United States or Canada.

Automobile magazines claim the 996 GT3 RS can accelerate from 0-60 mph (97 km/h) in about 4.3 seconds, maintain over 1.0g on the skidpad, and have a top speed of around 190 mph (306 km/h).

It seems to have more points of difference than the latter 997 & 991 GT3 vs RS specifications but I'm still not quite there when trying to justify the extra $$$ over a standard CS. Bragging rights at C&C maybe but I'd doubt you'd notice the difference in terms of seconds on the track, maybe hundreds at best. 

5 minutes ago, hugh said:

Thanks to Wikipedia I now can start to evaluate the difference between a 996.2 GT3 and 996.2 GT3 RS;

996.2 GT3 RS[edit]

In 2003, Porsche introduced the Porsche 911 GT3 RS, an even more track-focused version of the 996 GT3. RS is short for the German RennSport, literally "racing sport" in English. The "RS" moniker, and the characteristic lightweight blue or red wheels and "GT3 RS" side stickers link the 996 GT3 RS to historically important Porsches such as the Carrera 2.7 RS of the early 1970s. The 996 GT3 RS is lighter than the 996 GT3 thanks to a polycarbonate rear window, carbon fiber hood and rear wing. Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB) Carbon fibre-reinforced Silicon Carbide (C/SiC) ceramic composite brakes, which are also more heat and fade resistant than the cast iron units fitted as standard, are optional.

The 996 GT3 RS has a slightly different engine specification to the 996 GT3. The cylinder heads of the 996 GT3 RS have reshaped intake and exhaust ports for race homologation. Porsche claim the same 381 hp (284 kW) power output as the standard GT3 but Porsche's control dyno showed a jump to nearly 400 hp (298 kW) The RS also has progressive springs rather than linear. The dampers are uprated and are between 10 and 15 percent stiffer than the 996 GT3 in bounce and rebound.

The wheel carriers are totally redesigned to maximize the improved dynamic camber control. The suspension top mounts can be turned 120 degrees to a cup car position. Both front and rear control arms are adjustable. The RS is 3 mm (0.1 in) lower than the 996 GT3.

The RS rear wing delivers 35 kg (77 lb) of downforce at 125 mph (201 km/h). The RS has ram air ducts on the engine bay which force air into the intake with 18mb of pressure at 187 mph (301 km/h) and this is enough to create an additional 15 bhp (11 kW; 15 PS). That extra bhp cannot be homologated since the official engine output figures are certified on a dynanometer.

The Porsche 996 GT3 RS had a production run from 2003 to 2005. Only 140 right hand drive 996 GT3 RS cars were built by Porsche and 113 of those were officially imported into the UK. The 996 GT3 RS was not sold in the United States or Canada.

Automobile magazines claim the 996 GT3 RS can accelerate from 0-60 mph (97 km/h) in about 4.3 seconds, maintain over 1.0g on the skidpad, and have a top speed of around 190 mph (306 km/h).

It seems to have more points of difference than the latter 997 & 991 GT3 vs RS specifications but I'm still not quite there when trying to justify the extra $$$ over a standard CS. Bragging rights at C&C maybe but I'd doubt you'd notice the difference in terms of seconds on the track, maybe hundreds at best. 

Yup its all about those famed stickers ..blue being the preference.. when did anyone ever see one of these sacred cows on a track in the last 5 years.. to validate the influence of the said improvements ;)   Ask the architect on how cladding aka stickers can change the whole perception of whats inside :) 

6 minutes ago, hugh said:

Everyone says you cannot quantify the $$ into performance, shut the eyes pay the $$ and enjoy the RS vibes is the general advice I have received, 

2 minutes ago, symsy said:

when did anyone ever see one of these sacred cows on a track in the last 5 years

Rennsport 2016, there was one, white/red. 

1 minute ago, edgy said:

Everyone says you cannot quantify the $$ into performance, shut the eyes pay the $$ and enjoy the RS vibes is the general advice I have received, 

Rennsport 2016, there was one, white/red. 

White WA car.. with stickers .. who would know Edgy.. you up for halves .. ;)  I aint got a car in sydney and keep missing out on the drives.. 

There was a very good road test comparo in the June 2017 911 & Porsche World magazine comparing both the standard GT3 and the RS version.

The article headline reads "The $200,000 Question". (It stated in UK pounds but I've valued it in $A). Basically this the difference in monetary value in the UK between two very equally specced & mileage cars except one has the RS badge. 

Forgetting the track acumen, the mag stated that on the road (in this case open country roads in North Yorkshire), the RS low speed ride was uncompromising, while body control is ruthless, and the steering had a hint of Tourette's. You can put this down to the revised shocks and springs which are reported to be quite a bit stiffer. Its all very well having an "uncompromising" suspension setup, but in the end it can make life a misery even on a weekend thrash, especially on some (most) of our Australian course chip bitumen country roads.... The reviewer also noted that extended seat time felt you've been in a fight - maybe that's why so many RS's have such low mileage. 

As Steve says, when you are on the ladder looking up, there is always something more attractive or desirable. But just because its another rung up the slippery slope doesn't make it a better proposition or better value. I think I'll keep my vanilla spec 996 GT3 and pocket the $$ difference between it and a RS.....

On 24 October 2018 at 20:18, Windsor289 said:

Dutton's have just released a short clip for their 996 GT3 RS currently for sale❤️

Interesting sales tactic.  Driving at 125kmh in a 40 kmh speed limited public road and posting a video.  Genius!

43842968720_c9cce11571_b.jpgScreen Shot 2018-11-01 at 6.08.17 PM by Harvs11, on Flickr

3 hours ago, edgy said:

I'm assuming that advice is coming from those who have RS's, seems pretty rational and un-biased. :lol::rolleyes:;)

8 hours ago, symsy said:

Looks like Tips had a dilemma ..

An RS is probably like sitting Sennas car vs the a remebrance  of  Senna stickered car being the R 

Once you climb a ladder and stand on the GT step thinking your at the pinnacle  and then the next few moments later the cloud clears only to see in next  few steps a few hallowed badges appearing as a challenge your mind goes fuzzy.  

An RS will always be aspiration if you can afford it. Even if your only ever gonna take that car down the high street ;) 

Once you climbed that mountain you will look around an also wonder.. shit there are others to climb or multiple car ownership of the Pcar kind becomes a thought

PolyGTcaramory who hasnt thought about it or wanted to live it 

And the dream probably starts at 105k if you ring Mr whitey from WA with the wobbly GT3 sticker .. hasnt anyone gone and seen that fuchen car yet 

PolyGTcaramory =   Oxford dictionary worthy   or time to perhaps replace the tyre kicker cap with that printed (porsche red font of course) with a home brew pic of  x2  gt3 model versions of  a big  arse rear end and oversized wing underneath the red front.

On 01/11/2018 at 15:41, hugh said:

A guy in Europe owns a 4.0, 996RS and a 996 GT3 which is similar spec to my old car was. He uses the vanilla car to thrash at the track and the others as investments. He says the GT3 with mods takes a big dump on the RS performance wise. So, certainly easy to exceed the performance of the RS for cents on the dollar. If you like those stickers though...(I do!)