996 GT3 Purchase

14 hours ago, Rick V said:

@edgy.....Sell your GT3 to me cheaply(!), off-load the Boxster, give-up on the Italian dalliance, & buy this for yourself!!

It is pretty safe to say they'll struggle to give that car away when they read my will :lol: I'm sure i'll take it to my grave the way things are going. 

4 hours ago, Jason A said:

Interestingly 3 of the recent 996 GT3 RS that have recently transacted came up here to Brisbane. All PCQ members.

One fellow bought one new, sold it to another member (who still has it) and has now decided to buy one again.

So in the club 4 x red and 1 x blue livery. Went from 2 to 5 in just a few months.

Quit hogging all the RS you bloody cane toads... 😜 

27 minutes ago, hugh said:

Can I ask what the key differences with a 996.2 RS  over a stock 996.2 GT3 are? 

@hugh RS was an homoligation car for the RSR of the day to allow some modes. 6 cars also supplied as rally cars. Changes were - improved cage, improved wheel carriers and suspension adjustability- you can adjust to cup car specs on the road car, stiffer progressive springs, carbon bonnet, carbon rear wing, Perspex rear window, no airbags in door trims, hand selected engines, then improved cylinder heads, remap - so all around 400hp, alcantara trim on wheel, shifter and handbrake, some stickers, different tyres. Not delivered to US - same as MK1 996.  All this this trimmed 10 seaconds off ring time and Porsche charged a $50k premium when new.

A few years ago they were only $50k apart from normal GT3 and same money as a 997 GT3. They came on the radar when the MK2 4.0 went ballistic due to 600 only made, then everyone jumped on them as only 682 made. Quite low numbers.

Fantastic car on track or a good road, but scary at speed on a bad road.

On 04/07/2019 at 19:35, 901er said:

I love the honesty in the write up- not arrogant rather polite!

3 minutes ago, Coastr said:

I do love that car.  Not going to be easy to find ones in that condition as time marches forward

Same . I love that car as well .

Do you find the colour to be a plus or a  negative in its value  ? 

Just now, wilson59 said:

Same . I love that car as well .

Do you find the colour to be a plus or a  negative in its value  ? 

I'm not really dialled into GT3 values, but it wouldn't put me off as a buyer, if I was one.  I think in the long run unique colored Porsches are a good thing.  I definietly would not buy a silver, grey or black one.

1 minute ago, Coastr said:

I'm not really dialled into GT3 values, but it wouldn't put me off as a buyer, if I was one.  I think in the long run unique colored Porsches are a good thing.  I definietly would not buy a silver, grey or black one.

I have the same opinion . I really love the unique colours but was interested to hear wether they were a little polarising for some for me it makes the car more special .

Every car I own is silver 😢

Colour choice is a personal thing, if you like it then buy it.

Zanzibar looks better in the flesh that in a picture- but then so do all GT3’s.

I would have one in any colour, but different colours do suit the different model variances more than others. I waited a long time to find a MK1 CS in speed yellow, silver or black were second choice. I was only looking for a MK1, I would not have chosen speed yellow on a MK2, but silver and black is still cool.

Hey some people swear by silver with black interior and flee in terror at red interiors and bright color paint.  I'd probably sway silver if it had contrasting lobster interior or similar.

Speed yellow has to be the hero color for Gt3s?

Will take delivery of my LHD Speed Yellow '00 GT3 CS Friday next week 🙂 

Couple of little cosmetic things have been fixed, bonnet and rear bumper being re-installed today.  Owner has had some fun and games sorting out some ignition switch and associated issues, seems there's some tricky things that are on CS and RS only, including a fuse under the LH seat that can blow (which had happened).  Apparently info not included in the handbook or normal instructions/ guides.  He's eternally grateful (as I am) for the resources available through the interweb....  At least he'll know where to look if he has similar problems with his RS.....

Then on to try to register - have my mechanic and his brother lined up to sort (good combo, David has done a number of Rally import regos, and his brother is the registered inspection station 🙂 Then sort out CAMS logbook, although I'm a little surprised that it doesn't have one given the amount of track time the Perrini's gave it....  Once all those 3 ducks are lined up, then try for Special Interest Class B road rego.....

2 minutes ago, edgy said:

Nice one @TwoHeadsTas congrats. 

Perhaps get in touch with Perini or PR to ask about the logbook? 

Probably not a big issue to get another issued as I understand - really only required for specific rego purposes - Our class B SI rego requires owner to have CAMS Rally licence (club level is OK which I obtained), be member of a CAMS club, and for car to have CAMS logbook, as well as the usual rego inspection check.  We have letter with import approval no which is other thing our rego authorities require, interesting that this will be the first time the car will be registered in Australia

9 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Probably not a big issue to get another issued as I understand - really only required for specific rego purposes - Our class B SI rego requires owner to have CAMS Rally licence (club level is OK which I obtained), be member of a CAMS club, and for car to have CAMS logbook, as well as the usual rego inspection check.  We have letter with import approval no which is other thing our rego authorities require, interesting that this will be the first time the car will be registered in Australia

Cool... look forward to seeing the journey unfold! 

Have you thought about converting it to RHD later down the track? I'd imagine you can source lots of the core parts out of a salvage yard these days with the 996/986 being 20+ years old now. It would still be a sizeable job, but probably not as costly as doing it 10+ years back... there was a 997 from Dubai a couple years back that had it done (Melbourne) that question is more a curiosity than a suggestion, I don't even know if its current import approval allows it? 

2 minutes ago, edgy said:

Cool... look forward to seeing the journey unfold! 

Have you thought about converting it to RHD later down the track? I'd imagine you can source lots of the core parts out of a salvage yard these days with the 996/986 being 20+ years old now. It would still be a sizeable job, but probably not as costly as doing it 10+ years back... there was a 997 from Dubai a couple years back that had it done (Melbourne) that question is more a curiosity than a suggestion, I don't even know if its current import approval allows it? 

Owner actually has a C4S wreck and has offered me the parts - without having gone too deeply into it I would image we're talking rack & dash mainly, although there is a different capacity fuel tank for the LH v RH, it may be the C4S one is the right one too....

28 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Owner actually has a C4S wreck and has offered me the parts - without having gone too deeply into it I would image we're talking rack & dash mainly, although there is a different capacity fuel tank for the LH v RH, it may be the C4S one is the right one too....

Believe you've gotta cut out and change the firewall too, some of the looms etc. If they're no added cost, Id take it... if that C4S is a wreck, consider having them give it to you as a front cut.