996 GT3 Purchase

1 hour ago, hugh said:

No idea. Only thing I know for sure is that the 996 GT3 is awesome. Hopefully this remains as the Porsche worlds best kept secret so prices remain low(ish) allowing me to drive mine "guilt free" and not having to worry about the kms raking up! 

Or maybe by the time these are truly appreciated kms wont be an issue. I don't see people being concerned about kms on 73, 964 or 993 RS's! 

Was thinking the same this morning on my walk to work . I have decided I don't really care about running up km I would rather enjoy the car .

I am sure I am not the only one who has learned that cars should be well exercised. My first Porsche a 928S4 I babied and didn’t drive much for fear of clicking up ks.

It had about 30,000ks on it when I sold it - the next owner who still has it has added 250,000 ks to it and it’s still going strong. He will also sell it for more than he paid me.

I now use my cars, while I am happy to look after them - I also want to use them.

If your not going to use a car, don’t hog it - sell it to someone who will enjoy it and use it.

On 29/10/2019 at 21:30, Windsor289 said:

I thought it was BS also..., Until today the following turned up on  Piston Heads UK: $99,995 UK Pounds @ today exchange = $ AUS 187,036 (Plus import cost/GST/LCT/++++)

porsche-911-gt3-rs-428933332-1.jpg

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/porsche/911-gt3-996/-64-2004-porsche-996-2-gt3-rs/10115214

Hmmm...having lived in the U.K. for awhile, that is the cheapest RS I have ever seen by at least 40,000 GBP...so...there must be something up with this car.

Obviously the first thing that jumps out is the mileage, around 120,000 kms. The price of these cars is very, very mileage sensitive (as with all RSs) and this is the highest mileage I have personally ever seen on an 996 RS. As a contrast, I have 28,000 on mine and was offered 150K GBP by a collector only this last Sunday.

I am intrigued by what other factors may be keeping this price down so I plan to go out to Ashgood (only 30km from my home) and inspect the car when I get back from OZ next week.

Ashgood seem to have a good rep in the UK - over the last couple of years a couple of the Porsche magazines use them for suitable demo cars.

I still can't come to terms regarding the difference in price between the cooking GT3 and the RS version. It maybe a "better" (10% ?) car , but its not worth double... 

OK, anyone know what the part no. is for this (the round plastic bit)?

Had a good look through the German parts Katalog but couldn't find anything that looks like this - the car shown had a conventional door drive and inside latch so presume a Comfort, Clubsport not shown

20191101_200745_resized.jpg

Hi @TwoHeadsTas that is not a standard part on a 996, it is a much earlier RS door pull. I would google search RS Door pull.

I have seen them on pelican parts and eBay. I have them on one of my air cooled cars. I removed a set from my track car - they were too heavy.

Here is the new set up ( my 993 RSR clone track car), door is gutted - including side impact intrusion bar (car has full cage) coreflute door trim, strap to replace window winder and door opener mechanising directvfrom door latch. Is a factory door and is very light (less than fibreglass door) and you can still put window down. Not as light as cup car carbon doors, but you could modify a Boxter door - just an idea - or just buy a replacement plastic trim !!!!

EEF26C21-6DAF-434D-9820-6B11E520EDEA.jpeg

1ED40A49-C8F4-4C10-A81A-0E95FC7E58AD.jpeg

Northern Tas 20th Anniv GT3 Drive Day tomorrow - looks like 3 x 996 GT3, 1 x, possibly 2x 996 GT3 RS and 2 x 997 GT3.  Will grab some piccies, but hopefully a lot of fun.  Seeing as I will have my mechanic with me I can legitimately use his Trade plates as this will be a "Test Drive" as we're testing the changes away from race suspension settings 🙂 

On 01/11/2019 at 20:59, Jason A said:

Hi @TwoHeadsTas that is not a standard part on a 996, it is a much earlier RS door pull. I would google search RS Door pull.

I have seen them on pelican parts and eBay. I have them on one of my air cooled cars. I removed a set from my track car - they were too heavy.

Here is the new set up ( my 993 RSR clone track car), door is gutted - including side impact intrusion bar (car has full cage) coreflute door trim, strap to replace window winder and door opener mechanising directvfrom door latch. Is a factory door and is very light (less than fibreglass door) and you can still put window down. Not as light as cup car carbon doors, but you could modify a Boxter door - just an idea - or just buy a replacement plastic trim !!!!

EEF26C21-6DAF-434D-9820-6B11E520EDEA.jpeg

1ED40A49-C8F4-4C10-A81A-0E95FC7E58AD.jpeg

Hi Jason - do you have any more pics of the car that you'd be happy to share?  I've always wondered about a 993 base for a track car but there are not many around.

22 hours ago, Jason A said:

Have fun, share some photos pls

Here we go - 2 x 996 GT3 RS, 1 x 996.1 GT3, 2 x 996.2 GT3s, 2 x 997.1 GT3s.

We drove for about 2 hours through some of Northern Tassie's back roads out behind Westbury, Deloraine etc, and had a fantastic time, led by Simon Froude.  Finished for a coffee and for most, a meal, at Deloraine Deli.  We're planning the 21st Anniversary already..... 🙂 Definitely knew I'd been driving for 2 hours, country roads and track suspension aren't comfortable!!!

Butt Shot 1 Cropped.jpg

Butt Shot 2 Cropped.jpg

Butt Shot 3.jpg

Front Shot cropped.jpg

Wise men cropped.jpg

@dragon02choosing the wrong moment to walk away (or perhaps the right time.......)

10 hours ago, Jason A said:

Hi @Gavin (CliffToCoast)base car is a 74S converted to 993 RSR spec. Was a Cup Car from mid 90’s.

As this is a 996 thread I won’t pop it in here. If you search my profile I have put some pics on PFA in the race cars with history chat

Great - thanks Jason.  I'll check out your previous posts.

29 minutes ago, Jason A said:

@TwoHeadsTas thanks for sharing, you have the only MK1 there- and my favourite colour.

Nice collection of cars and 2 x Red RS’s.

So it seems there are at least 3 down there, by population you guys are doing well

Thanks Jason, we do pretty well, reckon we punch well above our weight 🙂 .  There's the blue one currently for sale which makes the 3, and there was another red one, but that was sold a couple of years ago.  One of the guys here today also has a 997 GT2 (he couldn't actually give an exact no. of cars he owns, was saying today it's between 70 and 100.....) 🙂 

On 30/08/2019 at 22:48, DJM said:

Cheapy......record high kms?

b36siml9mgtd1j6l6oijjxjfq.jpg?aspect=FitWithinNoPad&width=480

2000 Porsche 911 GT3 996 Manual

• 117,583 km
  • Coupe
  • Manual
  • 6cyl 3.6L Petrol

Dealer Used

For more information on this vehicle please visit:
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2000-Porsche-911-GT3-996-Manual/OAG-AD-17090618

Anybody know the dealer where this is?  Apart from price and kms, anybody aware of any reason it mightn't have sold?  Just a little curious, wondering whether it is worth checking out so I can get a road registered car.........

16 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Anybody know the dealer where this is?  Apart from price and kms, anybody aware of any reason it mightn't have sold?  Just a little curious, wondering whether it is worth checking out so I can get a road registered car.........

Its at https://www.theporschaden.com.au

Also check out the other silver 996.1 gt3 on carsales 

2 minutes ago, James P said:

Its at https://www.theporschaden.com.au

Also check out the other silver 996.1 gt3 on carsales 

Thanks James, yes I've seen the other one too.  Will see if I can swing a trip to Melb to check out - Porschaden might trade my 996.2 C2......

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/10/2019 at 02:42, dipstick said:

Sorry, didn't see your post. Car looked great but I was advised by multiple people that it had a small accident in the past. It looked like an excellent repair but it put me off.

• 1 month later...

Not for me! but has some history/money spent on this GT3 (2001 RS): (recently sold at RM Sotheby's for $172,500 (UK Pounds)

(Whilst the ‘Cup’ cars served well in National and Supercup Championships, the GT3 R was the first of the internationally homologated GT3 race cars and was followed by the RS (from 2001, not to be confused with its later road-going sibling) and finally the RSR. All three variants dominated their classes in major championships around the world, and the model remains as one of the most successful series of racing Porsches built.)

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/lf19/london/lots/r0046-2001-porsche-911-gt3-rs/817065