996 GT3 Purchase

13 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Will pick up the silver car in a couple of weeks 

How's the sleep pattern? Concentrating OK @ work? How much $$ have you spent in your minds eye with possible upgrades already? I bet the wife's bored with your continual GT3 chatter!!

Great news - good luck with the selling. I'm sure you will keep us up to date with the Silver Dream Racer....

3 minutes ago, Stephen Tinker said:

How's the sleep pattern? Concentrating OK @ work? How much $$ have you spent in your minds eye with possible upgrades already? I bet the wife's bored with your continual GT3 chatter!!

Great news - good luck with the selling. I'm sure you will keep us up to date with the Silver Dream Racer....

Sleeping very well thanks Stephen 🙂 Concentrating at work, not so well......

Apart from assessing whether an engine rebuild will be needed, and how long until doing, only immediate upgrade is tyres, as 1) I hate P Zeros and 2) they're dated 2002....  However, I do think I can get hold of an original CS cage, and if so, will think about putting in the rear half at some stage, and possibly an exhaust, as the car now has an original exhaust

1 minute ago, edgy said:

Why would it need an engine rebuild?? Is the comp low? 

@TwoHeadsTas I was going to ask the same thing... with those road kms i'd be very surprised if you have any issues at all, a lot of people really don't understand just how robust the Mezger engine is 

5 minutes ago, edgy said:

Why would it need an engine rebuild?? Is the comp low? 

Has had a big range 2 over rev, but over 50 hours ago, so despite advice from both the seller and guy who did the PPI that it should probably have chains, big end bolts, valve springs etc based on the over rev, track usage and mileage generally (118k) I will get my mechanics opinion first.  

1 minute ago, James P said:

@TwoHeadsTas I was going to ask the same thing... with those road kms i'd be very surprised if you have any issues at all, a lot of people really don't understand just how robust the Mezger engine is 

And yes, that is in my thinking too

4 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Has had a big range 2 over rev, but over 50 hours ago, so despite advice from both the seller and guy who did the PPI that it should probably have chains, big end bolts, valve springs etc based on the over rev, track usage and mileage generally (118k) I will get my mechanics opinion first.  

And yes, that is in my thinking too

Here hoping your OK, @ the $$ you got the GT3 for you stole it 😀. Re-trim the front seats and you will add $20K to its value.

The following article should give you hope _ 180,000 miles (290,000 KM) Mk2 996 GT3 from the UK story.

https://teamspeed.com/forums/gt/63801-996-gt3-mkii-180-000-miles-sale.html

2 minutes ago, Windsor289 said:

Here hoping your OK, @ the $$ you got the GT3 for you stole it 😀. Re-trim the front seats and you will add $20K to its value.

The following article should give you hope _ 180,000 miles (290,000 KM) Mk2 996 GT3 from the UK story.

https://teamspeed.com/forums/gt/63801-996-gt3-mkii-180-000-miles-sale.html

It wasn't quite the bargain price I had offered, but I'm reasonably happy overall.  Price was a little less than the revised advertised price.

Even better, sale of my LHD Speed Yellow car was confirmed today (7 days go to woe was pretty good!!).  Look for it at a Targa event near you later in the year...

Yes, a retrim of the seats will be on the cards, just not straight away.  The cloth is available through Velo apparently...

@TwoHeadsTas do you have an idea of how high the revs went with the over rev? 50 hours is a lot of time. I know Porsche says 100 hours and your out of the clear but they’re generally overly conservative. I’ve heard of them doing over 10K RPM and living to fight another day, one in particular did 10500 RPM and the engine was pulled down to find nothing but general wear and tear in line with the vehicle’s mileage and usage.

Just now, spiller said:

@TwoHeadsTas do you have an idea of how high the revs went with the over rev? 50 hours is a lot of time. I know Porsche says 100 hours and your out of the clear but they’re generally overly conservative. I’ve heard of them doing over 10K RPM and living to fight another day, one in particular did 10500 RPM and the engine was pulled down to find nothing but general wear and tear in line with the vehicle’s mileage and usage.

I will investigate further when I get the car back, but I half suspect it will be as you suggest.  Certainly I didn't detect any unusual sounds from the engine, it sounded smooth as...

5 minutes ago, edgy said:

@spiller I’m maybe a bit rusty, but does the 996 DME record ranges 1-6 like 997?? 

I think the important factor is how many ignitions are recorded at that range! 

996 has only 2 ranges. From memory range 1 is rev limiter and range 2 is 8800+. I guess the quotes above maybe had some other data logging to determine actual RPM but perhaps the number of ignitions would also give some idea too.

6 minutes ago, spiller said:

996 has only 2 ranges. From memory range 1 is rev limiter and range 2 is 8800+. I guess the quotes above maybe had some other data logging to determine actual RPM but perhaps the number of ignitions would also give some idea too.

Quick question . To achieve 8800+ would be mechanical over rev ? Changing down through the gears ? 
Hitting the limiter no real issue ? 

7 minutes ago, spiller said:

I haven't been able to exactly track down the motorsport history of the PO, but he spent a shitload each year with PCM Motorsport division.  I suspect it may have been lower level motorsport, so my thinking is that the overrevs  probably resulted from a 5>2 rather than 5>4 gear change, so that most likely would have occurred on the down change, and probably during braking for a corner, so I'm thinking there wouldnt have been any stress on the engine, unlike, for example, during hard acceleration.  Would this be a reasonable expectation???

Over rev on down change = mechanical over rev (range 2) 

rev limiter (acceleration)=  range 1 

you want to avoid mechanical over revs 

BUT see the DME report and see how many ignitions were recorded, that will give you better context! 

10 hours ago, wilson59 said:

Quick question . To achieve 8800+ would be mechanical over rev ? Changing down through the gears ? 
Hitting the limiter no real issue ? 

Correct, either going back 1 gear instead of up 1 gear, or changing down 3 gears accidentally instead of 1. Limiter no issue, my old one had 58K Range 1s (no Range 2) and leak downs were 1-2%. 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2004-Porsche-911-GT3-RS-996-Manual-MY04/OAG-AD-17450670

^^This has just come on carsales. Not sure what the hail damaged label means exactly? Dream car and the cogs are turning, is anyone interested in a very clean 996 cup car? 😁

1 hour ago, spiller said:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2004-Porsche-911-GT3-RS-996-Manual-MY04/OAG-AD-17450670

^^This has just come on carsales. Not sure what the hail damaged label means exactly? Dream car and the cogs are turning, is anyone interested in a very clean 996 cup car? 😁

I couldn't see the bit about hail damage, but there was an identical car at Duttons last week for $330, wonder if this somehow got damaged in the hailstorm there and it got moved to CTS???

My carsales app is telling me it’s hail damaged with a red banner up the top next to the headline of the advert. Usually see that banner next to ads for Toyota Hilux’s and Hyundais so bit of an odd one.

EDIT:  now it’s gone, someone at CTS must have clicked the wrong box!

11 minutes ago, hugh said:

Where’s @edgy with his reports, PPIWOVR whatever’s to give us some answers! 

Not sure if it would appear on WOVR if written off now,  due to age.  Someone else will know the intricate details, but my understanding was any vehicle older than 12(??????) years doesn't go on the WOVR.  So, an old car doesn;t go on the WOVR if written off by the insurance co now, but would have appeared on it if written off before the X years was up???  (Mind you, I wouldn't expect an RS would be written off due to hail damage....)

Is this correct???

2 hours ago, hugh said:

Where’s @edgy with his reports, PPIWOVR whatever’s to give us some answers! 

It’s been there for a while, I think they list it and pull the listing from time to time... it’s a nice car from the times I’ve seen it there. 

An RS (either 996 or 997.1) is a car I’d trade up for... I really dig the 996 though, and it’s the rarest! 

Yep I remember seeing a blue one for 180K private sale back in 2012. This red one is the first sub 300K one I’ve seen for a long time. Probably safe money as it’s difficult to imagine these not being worth twice as much within the next decade, if you track what all the air cooled RS cars have done before it.

1 hour ago, edgy said:

It’s been there for a while, I think they list it and pull the listing from time to time... it’s a nice car from the times I’ve seen it there. 

An RS (either 996 or 997.1) is a car I’d trade up for... I really dig the 996 though, and it’s the rarest! 

Agree, I’d have the 996 before 997.1 or 2. Where it all began!