996 GT3 Purchase

On 31/01/2020 at 19:46, TwoHeadsTas said:

It wasn't quite the bargain price I had offered, but I'm reasonably happy overall.  Price was a little less than the revised advertised price.

Not trying to put a downer on your purchase, but with the all the things that need doing and with a full history of over-rev’s, pending a costly motor rebuild was it really worth the value?

Or maybe was it better just spending a few extra bucks for a clean history minter?

15 minutes ago, Shedpest said:

Not trying to put a downer on your purchase, but with the all the things that need doing and with a full history of over-rev’s, pending a costly motor rebuild was it really worth the value?

Or maybe was it better just spending a few extra bucks for a clean history minter?

Time will tell......

51 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Time will tell......

Bargain (for a Porsche): Between 1999 and 2000. 1858 Mk1 GT3s  were built. Only 308 being right-hand drive [90 delivered to Aus]

Just re-watch this video if in any doubt 👍

14 minutes ago, Windsor289 said:

Bargain (for a Porsche): Between 1999 and 2000. 1858 Mk1 GT3s  were built. Only 308 being right-hand drive [90 delivered to Aus]

Just re-watch this video if in any doubt 👍

No doubt here, but wanted to watch it anyways.

20 years on, and that video still works as intended... made me want to go out and buy a 996GT3.

On 07/02/2020 at 07:16, James P said:

It's over on the 997 GT3 market watch thread but not sure it has the CS v Touring numbers just total numbers 

Thanks James, I scoured through the whole thread and it's on page 20 for anyone else looking.

On 07/02/2020 at 09:16, hugh said:

Hey @luzzo , what James said ^^^

Cheers hugh

11 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Time will tell......

No doubt that is a fantastic car at a very good price. Having inspected it myself it is immaculate in every other way, inside, outside & underneath with a service book & a folder of invoices that dreams are made of. The engine work may or may not need to be done any time soon but once it she'll be good to go around for another 150,000 kms - wonder what she will be worth by that time? I'd say it will be the lowest $ per smile you'd get from any other car, boat or whatever else makes you happy.

1 hour ago, Harold996tt said:

Did the ex owner leave the car registered for you to bring back to Tas or did you transfer it at Vic Roads? 

Basically yes,  plates being posted back tomorrow 🙂

Observation from first drive on some back roads on the way back home this morning - quite naturally it feels a much faster car than my 996.2 C2 Tip.  Not sure whether some of this is manual v Tip, but it felt very much happier and effortless to sit at (or above Tsk Tsk) the country road limit, whereas the Tip felt as though you really needed to push the car to get to the same speed.  Also founds lots of very tall speed humps around the Port Melbourne area requiring negotiation at very low speeds.  Also getting on and off the Spirit too.

Think I'm gunna enjoy this car.......

2 hours ago, DD911 said:

No doubt that is a fantastic car at a very good price. Having inspected it myself it is immaculate in every other way, inside, outside & underneath with a service book & a folder of invoices that dreams are made of. The engine work may or may not need to be done any time soon but once it she'll be good to go around for another 150,000 kms - wonder what she will be worth by that time? I'd say it will be the lowest $ per smile you'd get from any other car, boat or whatever else makes you happy.

Hope so Damien 🙂

1 hour ago, Rick V said:

996.2 GT3 is a full 2 seconds faster around the ring......just saying! 😗 

Cars in the last 20 years have become much faster than 996.1 and .2 GT3s.  Even unlikely stuff like Corvette, Panamera, Taycan, Volvo S60, Golf GTi Clubsport, C63, Civic Type R......hell even a Megane did a 7:45 last year.......🤔

I assume few are buying 996 GT3s for their lap times.  You could choose a range of less interesting but faster cars for a lot less money if ap time was your focus.  

20,832 m (68,346 ft) 7:45.389 Renault Mégane R.S. Trophy-R Laurent Hurgon April 2019 Renault Sport conducted test, 

3 minutes ago, DJM said:

Cars in the last 20 years have become much faster than 996.1 and .2 GT3s.  Even unlikely stuff like Corvette, Panamera, Taycan, Volvo S60, Golf GTi Clubsport, C63, Civic Type R......hell even a Megane did a 7:45 last year.......🤔

I assume few are buying 996 GT3s for their lap times.  You could choose a range of less interesting but faster cars for a lot less money if ap time was your focus.  

20,832 m (68,346 ft) 7:45.389 Renault Mégane R.S. Trophy-R Laurent Hurgon April 2019 Renault Sport conducted test, 

I’m only in it for street cred . 

On 08/02/2020 at 14:33, wilson59 said:

Even stupid uneducated idiots are able to get nice cars .

Hey! I resemble that comment!

5 hours ago, Shedpest said:

Maybe time to trade the 997 GT3 after watching that video!!

You need to swap that for a backdated '78 mate

On 06/02/2020 at 12:34, DD911 said:

@TwoHeadsTas Pretty sure this is your beast photographed in this article https://www.whichcar.com.au/features/modern-classic-1999-porsche-9961-911-gt3

This is interesting, Andy Enright (Wheels) confidently makes the following statement: 

One enduring myth, repeated ad nauseam, is that the the Mk1 was built at Weissach, whereas the Mk2 was developed there but built alongside other 911s at Zuffenhausen. It’s poppycock. They’re all built at Zuffenhausen.  Production of the first batch of 1350 GT3s was scheduled for late 1999 to accommodate the production of 996 Turbo. The only fully Weissach-built vehicles were the GT3R race cars.

Then again, Josh Barnett (UK Total 911) (some years ago) made this one:

Enthusiasts recognised immediately that the road-going 996 GT3 launched in autumn 1999 had reignited the flame of the much-missed RS. Better still, while previous RSs had been lightened and fettled 911s off the line, the new 996 GT3 was a more rigorous conception built at Weissach from the chassis up.

I don't know where the truth lies, but I like Josh's story better 😀

https://www.total911.com/997-gt3-rs-4-0-porsches-last-stand/

11 hours ago, Windsor289 said:

This is interesting, Andy Enright (Wheels) confidently makes the following statement: 

One enduring myth, repeated ad nauseam, is that the the Mk1 was built at Weissach, whereas the Mk2 was developed there but built alongside other 911s at Zuffenhausen. It’s poppycock. They’re all built at Zuffenhausen.  Production of the first batch of 1350 GT3s was scheduled for late 1999 to accommodate the production of 996 Turbo. The only fully Weissach-built vehicles were the GT3R race cars.

Then again, Josh Barnett (UK Total 911) (some years ago) made this one:

Enthusiasts recognised immediately that the road-going 996 GT3 launched in autumn 1999 had reignited the flame of the much-missed RS. Better still, while previous RSs had been lightened and fettled 911s off the line, the new 996 GT3 was a more rigorous conception built at Weissach from the chassis up.

I don't know where the truth lies, but I like Josh's story better 😀

https://www.total911.com/997-gt3-rs-4-0-porsches-last-stand/

The latter reads much better in a Carsales ad, don’t let the truth bother you

😂

On 10/02/2020 at 10:18, TwoHeadsTas said:

Observation from first drive on some back roads on the way back home this morning - quite naturally it feels a much faster car than my 996.2 C2 Tip.  Not sure whether some of this is manual v Tip, but it felt very much happier and effortless to sit at (or above Tsk Tsk) the country road limit, whereas the Tip felt as though you really needed to push the car to get to the same speed.  Also founds lots of very tall speed humps around the Port Melbourne area requiring negotiation at very low speeds.  Also getting on and off the Spirit too.

Think I'm gunna enjoy this car.......

Its all very quiet on the Tasmanian GT3 front - I wonder if THT is still enjoying his new purchase. Or perhaps not😜

C'mon Tas, you've had the car for 4 days now and no comments or updates! What gives?? 

1 hour ago, Stephen Tinker said:

Its all very quiet on the Tasmanian GT3 front - I wonder if THT is still enjoying his new purchase. Or perhaps not😜

C'mon Tas, you've had the car for 4 days now and no comments or updates! What gives?? 

Tfr of rego done (ouch, that will pay the salaries of a few public servants for a couple of weeks!!), but waiting to make a decision on tyres before I drive too much on 18 year old P Zeros, cracks in shoulders, pretty hard although plenty of tread.  Was pretty sold on Yoko AD08Rs, but an ex-client is the Dunlop motorsport dealer here and has offered me some pretty good payment terms on some Dunlop Dirreza Star Specs, which look to be a very similar tyre.  If I go with the Yokos, might be a couple of weeks before they arrive, Dunlops a couple of days.  

Will do an EMR this Sunday, and following Sunday a trip over to Orford for a club event.

In regard to tyres, I found that the GT3 suspension (shock / spring ratio) was bordering on very firm for Qld hinterland roads. On smooth roads it was OK, but on bumpy tarmac I found that the tyres were being deflected and skipping over even small undulations. You feel this uncompromising stiffness through the steering wheel, so I believe that you need to be very careful in GEO setup and tyre choice to get the best output from the chassis for road use.

Some makes of tyres have very stiff sidewalls which, if anything, exacerbate this - you may find the Dunlops are like this. The performance tyres that suit and fit the GT3 rims are not exactly off the shelf so after a lot of digging I went for Michelin Pilot's which have a reasonably soft(er) sidewall with exceptional grip. Even then I drop the tyre pressures slightly for road use.

If using the car for track as well as road, than tyre choice will change....  

Just dropped into Porsche Centre Hobart for a look and to kill some time before an appointment.  Talking GT3s to one of the guys there and he mentioned they had just brokered a deal involving a speed yellow 1st gen with 5000kms. Didn't disclose price but I read into it probably in region of $150k.  Staying in Tas I understand.   Pity for such a car to have only travelled 5000kms....

17 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Just dropped into Porsche Centre Hobart for a look and to kill some time before an appointment.  Talking GT3s to one of the guys there and he mentioned they had just brokered a deal involving a speed yellow 1st gen with 5000kms. Didn't disclose price but I read into it probably in region of $150k.  Staying in Tas I understand.   Pity for such a car to have only travelled 5000kms....

A car with that little mileage will probably cost more than one that has been used & slightly abused. Slim pickings in the market right now...

3 hours ago, Stephen Tinker said:

I would have thought that a Gen 1 GT3 with those km's would fetch a lot more than $150k - or was that the price PC Hobart paid for the car and it will soon be on sale @ $180k??

May well have been more than $150k, that was just my take on what he was saying