996 GT3 Purchase

OK, the Arctic Silver 2nd Gen stored at Cairns Automotive, and advertised for $160k comes up as sold today.  Anyone here?

I had a good day too, sold the trailer that was available as part of my LHD deal - purchaser didn't take it, listed  it on Scumtree and FB yesterday, sold today 🙂  Also a heap of Pavers pulled up from our backyard.  Very happy to have finished the day with these.  Day started pretty well too with a PCT EMR,  but Mrs Two Heads doesn't like the seats in the GT3 though, reckons they're not made for real women with child bearing hips.......😁

11 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

OK, the Arctic Silver 2nd Gen stored at Cairns Automotive, and advertised for $160k comes up as sold today.  Anyone here?

I had a good day too, sold the trailer that was available as part of my LHD deal - purchaser didn't take it, listed  it on Scumtree and FB yesterday, sold today 🙂  Also a heap of Pavers pulled up from our backyard.  Very happy to have finished the day with these.  Day started pretty well too with a PCT EMR,  but Mrs Two Heads doesn't like the seats in the GT3 though, reckons they're not made for real women with child bearing hips.......😁

Great to hear you're having some fun. Saw that the Mk 2 had come up as sold last night - I was going to have a look but prefer a Mk 1 & thought the price was too far away so may not have been worth wasting anyone's time.

Had no luck organising an inspection on the black one listed a few weeks back either - seller has not responded to email, SMS, phone call or carrier pigeon...

The search continues - if anyone on here knows of anyone even thinking of selling please send me a message

"Had" to drive the GT3 to work today due to a shuffle around of cars.  50kms through country roads behind Riverside through to Westbury.  Another fantastic bit of Tassie road, just a pity about the roadkill.  I know they say to treat the front spoiler on the GT3 as a consumable item, but definitely best to steer clear of the wallabies and wombats.......

15 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Sorry to hear you "had" to use the GT3 to work today - must have been a tough decision....

Looks like the black clubsport in Melbourne has disappeared from Carsales too this weekend. That leaves only 2 x 996 GT3's left for sale.

2 hours ago, Stephen Tinker said:

Sorry to hear you "had" to use the GT3 to work today - must have been a tough decision....

Looks like the black clubsport in Melbourne has disappeared from Carsales too this weekend. That leaves only 2 x 996 GT3's left for sale.

The 997 GT3 market looks the same .

Only two officially for sale one that should be removed .

Slim pickings in that market 

9 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

"Had" to drive the GT3 to work today due to a shuffle around of cars.

Snap.....  I "had" to drive my GT3 to work today too........ no wombats to contend with, just useless dickhead Adelaide peak-hour drivers!

Still had a smile on face despite them.

1 hour ago, Rick V said:

Snap.....  I "had" to drive my GT3 to work today too........ no wombats to contend with, just useless dickhead Adelaide peak-hour drivers!

Still had a smile on face despite them.

Drive back  3/4 hour ago (just got home) was even better, was 99% sure road was clear of roadkill, so, apart from the worst sections, was able to have a bit of fun.  Love the engine note, and that's even with stock standard exhaust 🙂 🙂   Tyres still not good though, so very harsh ride.....

THT - just as an experiment, try dropping your tyre pressures from 32 lb to 28lb (@ the front) and from 39 lb to 36lb (@ the rear) and see how it feels.

This won't negate old / hard Pirelli tyres but just see if it makes any significant difference on your 50km rout. I've been using these pressures for 3 years without any reduction in tyre wear to my PS2's, turn in is still good on the road with not a lot of understeer - but this depends heavily on your cars suspension and alignment setup.....

2 hours ago, Stephen Tinker said:

THT - just as an experiment, try dropping your tyre pressures from 32 lb to 28lb (@ the front) and from 39 lb to 36lb (@ the rear) and see how it feels.

This won't negate old / hard Pirelli tyres but just see if it makes any significant difference on your 50km rout. I've been using these pressures for 3 years without any reduction in tyre wear to my PS2's, turn in is still good on the road with not a lot of understeer - but this depends heavily on your cars suspension and alignment setup.....

OK, will give that a try for a longer trip this Sunday

On 17/02/2020 at 12:32, Stephen Tinker said:

And then there was one.........  White 2nd gen from Sydney now marked as sold.  Must just leave the AH one now.....

10 hours ago, Rick V said:

Certainly low stock now, but do these cars actually sell, or are they just removed from CS?  I’m pretty sure in the past when I’ve taken an advert down, it shows as ‘sold’. 

Don't know about the white .2 but the silver one at CMPS  is definitely sold.

10 hours ago, Rick V said:

Certainly low stock now, but do these cars actually sell, or are they just removed from CS?  I’m pretty sure in the past when I’ve taken an advert down, it shows as ‘sold’. 

The white 996.2 is my car, and is now sold. Both seller and buyer very happy with the deal.Took a while to sell, but I wasn't in any hurry.

I won't disclose the sale price as a courtesy to the buyer, but let's just say values are solid for good, strong honest cars, which this one is.

The price was certainly much more than a regular punter here predicted, suggesting that "I was wasting everyone's time" at my asking price. Not sure how that happens. There were certainly a couple of people that wasted a lot of my time, but I guess that comes with the territory. The dreaded "tyre kickers" are still alive and well.

I think the moral is that if you are not in any rush in the current market, hang in there and the right buyer will eventually come along.

18 minutes ago, Stephen Tinker said:

That sounds like an assertive statement PIC - did you buy it or sell it??

No, not at all. Was confirmed to me by the seller.

So that means, other than the RS's, only 1 996 GT3 on CS

On 31/01/2020 at 21:39, TwoHeadsTas said:

I haven't been able to exactly track down the motorsport history of the PO, but he spent a shitload each year with PCM Motorsport division.  I suspect it may have been lower level motorsport, so my thinking is that the overrevs  probably resulted from a 5>2 rather than 5>4 gear change, so that most likely would have occurred on the down change, and probably during braking for a corner, so I'm thinking there wouldnt have been any stress on the engine, unlike, for example, during hard acceleration.  Would this be a reasonable expectation???

Forgot to post that I have had contact with the PO, and it appears the car was only seriously tracked through PCV club days during 2003-06 era, with a few track days since.  Overrev occurred during a down change for a corner a couple of years ago at Sandown, as I surmised might have happened.  Thinking need for short term rebuild much less likely now, but still to have my mechanic do the fluid changes and inspection as he's flat out preparing cars for the Poatina Road Race in a couple of weeks...

4 minutes ago, PIC said:

No, not at all. Was confirmed to me by the seller.

And that one at AH looks pretty good, and I think confirms Burgerman's comment on price for good .2s

49 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

.  Overrev occurred during a down change for a corner a couple of years ago at Sandown, as I surmised might have happened.  

And that one at AH looks pretty good, and I think confirms Burgerman's comment on price for good .2s

How many range 2 overrevs does the ECU indicate and how many hours since it happened?  I'm interested as my GT3 has a couple of second worth of range 2 as well.

Good to hear Burgerman has a happy ending too.

1 minute ago, Stephen Tinker said:

How many range 2 overrevs does the ECU indicate and how many hours since it happened?

Good to hear Burgermans has a happy ending too.

Haven't got the full detail with me, but it was over 50hrs ago... actually probably now 55 hours 🙂 

4 hours ago, PIC said:

Has anyone had a play at the UK 996 RS @ Lorbeks? As I posted a few pages back, I took a look at it a few weeks back when i was in town, left my details with them, did receive a voicemail and attempted to call back unsuccessfully... no offer has been made to me. Just curious if they had a better buyer on the line (as I was asking for trade). 

Decided on the Dunlop Direzza Star Spec Z3s, I can get a better deal on them than the AD08Rs, and I have known the dealer for 30 + years.  Probably going against the general advice here, but I can get good local backup, and the dealer is interested in seeing how well they suit a 911, as he has them fitted on other premium sports cars that are reporting good results.  As they are overall a very similar tyre to the AD08R I reckon they will perform very similarly.  Will get them put on while car is getting it's once over week after next....

Gents - If anyone has any interest in a white Oz delivered 996 GT3 that has been seriously modded to pretty much Cupcar specs, please PM and I can put you in touch with the owner. The car is not advertised anywhere currently. Please only PM if you are a serious buyer. Sub six figure asking.