996 GT3 Purchase

On 06/05/2020 at 07:26, Stephen Tinker said:

If the book is as good as Roland Kussmaul's suspension setup guide for the 996 GT3, then it will be a cracker.

I've had 3 full suspension setups on my car, the first by the previous owner (no details), the second by Porsche Centre to "spec" which understeered badly, and finally the road / track biased Kussmaul setup with only slightly less camber @ the front to save on tyre wear. The driving difference is very telling..... 

Screenshot_20200507-141817_Word.thumb.jpg.8b460ce33890f3e31f800dcc0a1c5642.jpg

Are these the settings?

Yes they are the settings, though the above does not state any ride height or sway bar settings which leads me to think that the above is for a Carrera or Turbo.

I lessened the front camber from -2.5 to -2.0 and rear camber from -2.5 to -2.0 for road use, not track.

2 hours ago, Stephen Tinker said:

Yes they are the settings, though the above does not state any ride height or sway bar settings which leads me to think that the above is for a Carrera or Turbo.

I lessened the front camber from -2.5 to -2.0 and rear camber from -2.5 to -2.0 for road use, not track.

It specifies same as OEM axle heights F&R as I read them... 

Interesting they are quite similar to the specs I've been given from TPC (likely based off this)... main difference being they recommend more aggressive front camber and a lower than stock rear axle height... which for a track car on R comps makes sense! 

Swaybar settings are probably a little more open (personal) as to how you drive it, what LSD are you running etc.. they will induce the car to rotate differently in my experience. 

• 2 weeks later...

OK brains trust, let's see if anyone can offer suggestions on this.

Removed the Kenwwod radio today in preparation for installation of the Continental one I bought.  There are a couple of unusual speaker plugs which plugged into the Rear Spkr ports and also the Sub woofer ports, but none in the front speaker ports (wondering whether this was a stuff up and the SW ones was supposed to be plugged into the front port - there is no subwoofer that I can tell, at least not like the Bose one that was in my 996.2 C2).  The  factory cabling looks to still be in place, with what looks to be a Kenwood to Porsche adapter loom.  So, the way it looks, there is 2 sets of connections to the speakers - no idea if both are hooked up though.  I've attached photos of the plugs and the cabling, which looks to be high quality items. The rear speakers are in the side panels, and the covers are the same as the front speakers on top of the dash.   Given that listening to music wouldn't probably be high on the list of requirements of GT3 drivers, I'm wondering what the standard setup is.  Any ideas?

BTW reason for changing the radio was that I couldn't work out how to properly work this modern Kenwood thingie (of even turn it off!!!) so I like the Continental for the look, ease of use, and that it has a bluetooth connection for my phone with option of external mic.

Also, is there any problem with running the DAB aerial on the front screen next to the factory in-screen aerial for the "normal" radio??  May not even install this as there's no DAB radio in Tassie yet as I understand.

20200517_184127_resized.jpg

20200517_184140_resized.jpg

Yes, def aftermarket; the series 1 996 had an old fashioned stereo that was pretty easy to work on, the series 2 has a more complicated version that is tied into a computer that searches for a closed loop to operate. Someone ran aftermarket speakers or maybe that went to a AUX in plug of some sorts.

I ran a DAB antenna for my continental in the 928 up on the windscreen near the glass antenna and had no issue with it

34 minutes ago, Ozvino said:

Yes, def aftermarket; the series 1 996 had an old fashioned stereo that was pretty easy to work on, the series 2 has a more complicated version that is tied into a computer that searches for a closed loop to operate. Someone ran aftermarket speakers or maybe that went to a AUX in plug of some sorts.

I ran a DAB antenna for my continental in the 928 up on the windscreen near the glass antenna and had no issue with it

cheers, thanks for that.  I'll try to do a bit of tracing of those wires and see where they end up - they do look to disappear to the left, so perhaps there's something up under the dash that side.  Fixed seats, even slid forward, still make it difficult to clamber in to the back to pull the rear speakers out to see what they're connected to 😞 

Would still be good to try to acquire a CDR-220 to put into stock for 'ron.

Have any of you folks prodded the white car for sale on the NSW Porsche owners page ?

Also what’s the facts or the folklore on the Lorbek White / blue RS  , nudged or thumped hard ? 

Whats the Covid going rates on a good MK1 or MK2 with good history ? 

Is cash king ? I have some to exchange 

15 minutes ago, symsy said:

Have any of you folks prodded the white car for sale on the NSW Porsche owners page ?

That was on Carsales and discussed here a while ago (I think the owner is a PFA member and posted about it at one point?)... I thought it was sold, maybe still just hanging around on that page.

27 minutes ago, symsy said:

Also what’s the facts or the folklore on the Lorbek White / blue RS  , nudged or thumped hard ? 

Whats the Covid going rates on a good MK1 or MK2 with good history ? 

Is cash king ? I have some to exchange 

PM sent Symsy 

1 hour ago, edgy said:

Interestingly, the white/red @ CTS is no longer listed, anyone here? 

The white/red 996GT3RS did sell, and went to a Melb buyer I believe. Understood they traded a 996.1GT3 which also sold.

37 minutes ago, luzzo said:

The white/red 996GT3RS did sell, and went to a Melb buyer I believe. Understood they traded a 996.1GT3 which also sold.

I did like that one, it looked to be the pick of the bunch.

The Duttons Garage one is also not listed any more, anyone know about that one?   

1 hour ago, PIC said:

I did like that one, it looked to be the pick of the bunch.

The Duttons Garage one is also not listed any more, anyone know about that one?   

1 hour ago, mrar said:

I believe the Dutton's RS has been sold. Just the white/blue RS remaining. 

27 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Yeah PCW. I'm a little bit tempted to take a look at this... Pretty close to (or more than, in some cases) 997 money though?

1 minute ago, JWM said:

Yeah PCW. I'm a little bit tempted to take a look at this... Pretty close to (or more than, in some cases) 997 money though?

I think you'd be carefully comparing it to the one at Autohaus Hamiltons, but yes, really only $20k less than a 7 GT3

9 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

I think you'd be carefully comparing it to the one at Autohaus Hamiltons, but yes, really only $20k less than a 7 GT3

Not really. The AH 997GT3 is $190 Plus on roads. It has 76,000kms.

The PCWilloughby 996GT3 was $160k On Road, so about $150k plus O/Roads - with 47,000kms.  Roughly $40k apart, and 30,000kms apart.

I think the price was about fair, and so did 3 others - It has already sold, and I was 3rd in line if it fell over...

Edited by luzzo
Edited price and car desription for clarity

6 minutes ago, luzzo said:

Not really. The AH 997GT3 is $180 Plus on roads. It has 76,000kms.

This was $160 On Road, so about $150k or plus O/R - Roughly $30k apart, and over 30,000kms apart.

I think the price was about fair, and so did 3 others - It has already sold, and I was 3rd in line if it fell over...

Sorry Luzzo, I meant compare the PCW car to the $140k 996GT3 at AH, not the 997GT3