996 GT3 Purchase

18 hours ago, MRZOOM said:

Hoping for some pre-purchase advice.

The 996.2 GT3 I am getting a Pre Purchase Inspection at Porsche Centre Brighton (PCB) next week on has an 11 year, 12,000km gap in its service history. The car has only 30,000kms on it now and the current owner said that he had laid up for 8 years up until 2018 when he had it recommissioned and subject to a major service by Cairns Classic Modern Porsche Services....apparently he was enjoying his other Porsches in this time.

Is this something I should be overly concerned about or not?

PCB recommend they do the over-rev check first and only do the compression test and cylinder inspection if there are over-revs in Range 2. Should I do the compression test and cylinder inspection anyhow?

Another question, how often are folk in Australia getting the Limited Slip Diff centres serviced, seems like they wear fairly quickly particularly when tracked?

Thanks in advance.

It’s about the condition now.

The gap is a PITA but I’m guessing with some digging and chasing down the previous owner you could fill it.  

A bit left field - if its seen a track then that might account for the gap as people who race cars don’t log the “services”.  Get the PCB guys to lift the carpets and look for any signs of a welded cage.  The CS cages fitted (even with the front section) generally we’re not adequate for the purposes of getting a car log booked so you might see signs of plates having been there.  Also, don’t let that put you off.  Other than damage, race cars (in the right hands) get regular love.  You’ll just need to take that into account in your thinking.  

Give the guys at Cairns a call.  It will be Toby you need to speak to. He will know more.  He’s also really helpful.  

Do the rev check.   But these things are good to 10000 at least once before rod bolts are an issue.  They log every time the limiter is reached as a Range  1.

Compression and leak down are a must.  Insist and pay the money.  If the Porsche Centre Brighton guys push back, let me know.  I’ll call. I act for them! 😀

The diffs can also wear if not properly set up but if its been a road car in the main then should not be an issue.

My MK 1 has 24k on the ODO and needs a new diff but that’s because when the previous owner put a shorter diff in, the guys who fitted it didn’t set it up right and now she’s farked.  

Listen for strange noises on the over run or at lower speeds while taking off around a corner.  

Other than that, good luck with the purchase.

Any GT3 is a thing of beauty!

My .1 Touring had seen some track time (club stuff, not outright racing though), and the PO had put a cage in it at some stage.  He left the original carpets in, but you can see the cuts in the carpet where the carpet sat around the cage floor mounts.  May have even been that way from new (would Porsche have bothered with separate carpet kits for CS and Touring??).  Anyway, I have no problems with the carpet cuts, it'll save me having to do the same if I put another cage back in.  I'm on the track of a .1 Matter cage as originally fitted, which, if I can obtain, I'll just put the rear half in

2 hours ago, Jason A said:

Happy to be proven wrong, show me your actual proof or validation - not banter.

The MK1 GT3 was an FIA homoligation car, Porsche go to extreme lengths to mange weight in their cars.  My point being they would not slap an airbag door trim in a car - even if the airbag was not behind it. When in the same car they don’t even place the rear stereo speakers in the car to save weight. The CS no cost option allowed the factory to lower the weight of the car and prepare as a race ready road car. They would not cut corners and do such things in my humble opinion.

The 2004 RS was also a homoligation car and has the same door trims, rear speaker delete, carbon bonnet, plastic rear window etc to get weight down.

If you have actual proof to show otherwise - (on airbaggate) I am happy to apologise if proven wrong.

No need to apologise. You are wrong. Simply accept your observations/what you’ve read is just that. And you will then free yourself from needing to be proved right/or wrong. Moreover, the absence of a [someone bothering] response doesn’t prove you right. 

14 hours ago, hugh said:

An over rev & leak down will give you a pretty good picture of how the cars mechanical health is. These are pretty robust things, I wouldn’t be overly concerned. 

In all honesty these cars are a real testament to Porsche engineering. Plenty have had long & hard lives but still are as solid mechanically as the day they left the factory, 996 Cup cars also fall into this category. They were a Motorsport derived car, built to be used and exercised regularly, on and off the track. 

If it’s straight, looks clean enough and checks out the price seems right - do it. 

Thanks Hugh, much appreciated.

14 hours ago, 356993??? said:

What is correct is that you are still wrong. And it’s still ok to be wrong. Another member has already halved your supposed ‘fact’, but inadvertently [innocently] added another piece of fiction re Nations Cup about a car. And you added another non-fact re sale frequency. Your experience or observations don’t make you right; in this case just well versed in offering inferences and assumptions.

Just curious, hypothetically if you rip the door cards off the 996.1 clubsport vs 996.1 touring, are the  doors exactly the same? .  Eg Just  a wisetail that they are slightly different  and a bit of strengthening in the clubsport doors vs touring,  as their was a  design consideration tweak  given to the clubsport to   allow for the cage along with the differing anchor points for a six point harness vs lapslash belt anchoring setup  in the touring  that would then  make retrofitting a  gt3.1 touring  side airbag kit on a clubsport , somewhat more challenging  ( mechanical install only)  compared to replacing the airbag kit on a touring.

56 minutes ago, Jason A said:

I am going out on a limb here and say they are the same. 

Running for the hills now 😂 

No not correct you are wrong . The CS had provisions for quarter vent widows to be fitted as cigarette companies at the time were Major Sponsors of the series . It was insisted that quarter vents be fitted for endurance racing so drivers could have a smoke in the car  rather than pull in for a quick dart   .

8 hours ago, Skidmarks said:

It’s about the condition now.

The gap is a PITA but I’m guessing with some digging and chasing down the previous owner you could fill it.  

A bit left field - if its seen a track then that might account for the gap as people who race cars don’t log the “services”.  Get the PCB guys to lift the carpets and look for any signs of a welded cage.  The CS cages fitted (even with the front section) generally we’re not adequate for the purposes of getting a car log booked so you might see signs of plates having been there.  Also, don’t let that put you off.  Other than damage, race cars (in the right hands) get regular love.  You’ll just need to take that into account in your thinking.  

Give the guys at Cairns a call.  It will be Toby you need to speak to. He will know more.  He’s also really helpful.  

Do the rev check.   But these things are good to 10000 at least once before rod bolts are an issue.  They log every time the limiter is reached as a Range  1.

Compression and leak down are a must.  Insist and pay the money.  If the Porsche Centre Brighton guys push back, let me know.  I’ll call. I act for them! 😀

The diffs can also wear if not properly set up but if its been a road car in the main then should not be an issue.

My MK 1 has 24k on the ODO and needs a new diff but that’s because when the previous owner put a shorter diff in, the guys who fitted it didn’t set it up right and now she’s farked.  

Listen for strange noises on the over run or at lower speeds while taking off around a corner.  

Other than that, good luck with the purchase.

Any GT3 is a thing of beauty!

Thanks Skidmarks....much appreciated.

I will give Cairns a call...hopefully they can share what they know about the car's history.....I know a lot of service centres are not so keen to share these days due to privacy issues.

Porsche Centre Brighton mentioned they will call me as soon as they have run the over-rev check to see if i want to proceed with the compression and leak down test and to do a scope inspection of the cylinders. I will get also get them to do an inspection on the LSD operation as well.

Thanks also for the heads up to inspect under the carpets for any sign of a welded in cage!

6 hours ago, hugh said:

Happy to help if you need someone local to assist, feel free to send me a PM. All the best! 

Thanks Hugh, I might have to take you up on that kind offer...doesn't  look I will be able to visit from Sydney anytime soon to inspect the car in person! ☹️

The CS doors are the same doors fitted to all 996 and 986 models. You can physically fit an airbag onto a .1 CS however their is no plugs to make them work. And Porsche never fitted from factory the airbag compatible door cards to any cars without side airbags.

19 hours ago, wilson59 said:

No not correct you are wrong . The CS had provisions for quarter vent widows to be fitted as cigarette companies at the time were Major Sponsors of the series . It was insisted that quarter vents be fitted for endurance racing so drivers could have a smoke in the car  rather than pull in for a quick dart   .

I have also looked into this and Porsche fitted a larger alternator as well due to possible current fluctuations caused by use of the cigarette lighter.  Apparently not an issue for the shorter races but for the long distance ones it was an issue.  Porsche did do some wind tunnel testing to ascertain if the driver could use a lighter but the results were inconclusive so they opted for the high output alternator.

6 minutes ago, Skidmarks said:

I have also looked into this and Porsche fitted a larger alternator as well due to possible current fluctuations caused by use of the cigarette lighter.  Apparently not an issue for the shorter races but for the long distance ones it was an issue.  Porsche did do some wind tunnel testing to ascertain if the driver could use a lighter but the results were inconclusive so they opted for the high output alternator.

That was only a myth . Don't believe everything you read and remember it's Ok to be wrong .

1 hour ago, Skidmarks said:

Must have been a similar time from when they converted GT3's from 6 volt to 12 volt systems? 

On 08/07/2020 at 22:52, Windsor289 said:

Windsor289......Option Code 722 has been listed on the Vehicle ID’s for both 996.1 GT3 Clubsports I have inspected recently......I am not sure it isn’t on all 996.1 Clubsports including the Tourings.

3 minutes ago, MRZOOM said:

Windsor289......Option Code 722 has been listed on the Vehicle ID’s for both 996.1 GT3 Clubsports I have inspected recently......I am not sure it isn’t on all 996.1 Clubsports including the Tourings.

Thanks MR for the response, not on Touring (mine anyway, MK1 build # 1003)

On 09/07/2020 at 16:38, MRZOOM said:

Porsche Centre Brighton mentioned they will call me as soon as they have run the over-rev check to see if i want to proceed with the compression and leak down test and to do a scope inspection of the cylinders. I will get also get them to do an inspection on the LSD operation as well.

So @MRZOOM....... any news?!?  Any closer to having a GT3 in the driveway??

On 18/07/2020 at 17:13, Rick V said:

So @MRZOOM....... any news?!?  Any closer to having a GT3 in the driveway??

Hi Rick V, thanks for asking.

Yes good news, this beautiful 996.2 GT3 will be heading back home to Sydney (it was originally delivered by Scuderia Veloce in Willoughby) from Melbourne.....one fine day when we get out of the COVID bubble we seem to be sliding back into at present. The seller will kindly store it for me until then.

It got a clean bill of health from it's pre-purchase inspection at Porsche Centre Brighton, no accident history and no stage 2 over-revs. Only needs the front hood struts , the battery's in the key transmitters and the sticky knobs on the radio replaced. It should be this good as it has only done 30,000kms since 2004.

I have been lucky,  the seller has agreed to go 50/50 on brake rotor/pads replacement on the front and rear, the car had the major service less 12 months ago, has just had an annual minor service and has brand new Michelin tyres all around.....so hopefully no serious money to spend for a little while.

So after four years of much searching I think I have found the right GT3 for me.....Being super fussy I still feel anxious proceeding on the purchase of an expensive car that I have only seen in photos, but the seller seems really genuine and Toby at Classic Modern Porsche Services in Melbourne reckons if its not the best 996.2 GT3 they service it would be #2, so I take some comfort in that.

So now I just need to patient and wait for the COVID restrictions to lift...aah! 

8 minutes ago, MRZOOM said:

Hi Rick V, thanks for asking.

Yes good news, this beautiful 996.2 GT3 will be heading back home to Sydney (it was originally delivered by Scuderia Veloce in Willoughby) from Melbourne.....one fine day when we get out of the COVID bubble we seem to be sliding back into at present. The seller will kindly store it for me until then.

It got a clean bill of health from it's pre-purchase inspection at Porsche Centre Brighton, no accident history and no stage 2 over-revs. Only needs the front hood struts , the battery's in the key transmitters and the sticky knobs on the radio replaced. It should be this good as it has only done 30,000kms since 2004.

I have been lucky,  the seller has agreed to go 50/50 on brake rotor/pads replacement on the front and rear, the car had the major service less 12 months ago, has just had an annual minor service and has brand new Michelin tyres all around.....so hopefully no serious money to spend for a little while.

So after four years of much searching I think I have found the right GT3 for me.....Being super fussy I still feel anxious proceeding on the purchase of an expensive car that I have only seen in photos, but the seller seems really genuine and Toby at Classic Modern Porsche Services in Melbourne reckons if its not the best 996.2 GT3 they service it would be #2, so I take some comfort in that.

So now I just need to patient and wait for the COVID restrictions to lift...aah! 

Congrats Zoom, you'll fall in love with it the first time you drive it 🙂