996 GT3 Purchase

2 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Suspect Rusty may not need the money perhaps??  Wonder whether eventual purchaser will be a European collector?  It is, after all,  a brand new 20 year old car.  Not sure that I would want one in that condition though, and particularly not black......

As I said, not a real seller ...

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Windsor289 said:

Long winded but worth the watch for 996 GT3 ♥️ers

Thanks for the link, despite being a little long (as you say) it's a good summary of the model.

Interesting to see how candid he was on 996GT3 values given 911 Virgin is a Porsche (independent) dealer.  Given this Video was just posted, I guess every second UK person watching it will next be surfing the classifieds to see if they can pick up a steal before the next price surge...

9 minutes ago, Rick V said:

Good video, but I’m kinda hoping we can keep it a bit of a secret...... having a rise in value might be great, but I don’t want to stop driving it because I start getting worried about the impact of more kms is having on resale!

Best way to own a car is not worry about the resale Rick . I don't think you will truly enjoy that car without tracking it and using it . 

9 minutes ago, Rick V said:

I don’t want to stop driving it because I start getting worried about the impact of more kms is having on resale!

Unfortunately, it seems that here in Aus that is a real consideration. High km GT cars here are treated with such disdain..!

Certainly doesn't seem to be as much of an issue in UK. That same dealer, 911 Virgins has 2 x 996.2GT3's currently for sale.

Roughly converted Kms and Pricing:

Yellow: Price AUD$105,800 (approx)  103,700 Kms

Black: Price AUD$116,800 (approx) 57,900 Kms

So, approx only AU$11,000 Difference. I don't think the difference in 2 Aus delivered cars would be that little. 

1658078965_ScreenShot2020-08-10at2_24_43pm.png.65e868d735768d09f8d42cd52da17879.png

You are correct luzzo - a typical recent example was the silver Autohaus Hamilton GT3 which IIRC went for around $120k because it had 115,000km on the clock - more km means a serious de-valuing in price and a long stint in the marketplace. 

I've been seriously thinking of putting my car on the market in the next few weeks, but after listening to this I don't know if I am doing the right thing at the current time...:unsure: 

As a side note, Henry @ 911 Virgin has an enviable rep in the UK and is a noted strait shooter. Few and far between.

30 minutes ago, Stephen Tinker said:

You are correct luzzo - a typical recent example was the silver Autohaus Hamilton GT3 which IIRC went for around $120k because it had 115,000km on the clock - more km means a serious de-valuing in price and a long stint in the marketplace. 

I've been seriously thinking of putting my car on the market in the next few weeks, but after listening to this I don't know if I am doing the right thing at the current time...:unsure: 

As a side note, Henry @ 911 Virgin has an enviable rep in the UK and is a noted strait shooter. Few and far between.

That car at most went for around 20K under a low Km car . $20,000 is money well spent in driving the wheels off a GT3 than being concerned about the km you put on it . IMO of course .

Someone said to me once on this forum and is very true that there is nothing more liberating with car ownership than not being concerned about Km put on your P car .

Its a moot point if the low value of that particular GT3 was because the owner had had it for sale for +/- 6 months and was just keen to be rid of it, or because of the current medical / financial hardships a lot of people are experiencing. But you're right, everything being equal, somebody has got themselves a future classis at a bargain basement price - long may they enjoy the ride!

59 minutes ago, Shedpest said:

Slender pickings at the present

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2003-porsche-911-gt3-996-manual-my03/OAG-AD-18668875/?Cr=0

And make sure.......

*Please do not enquire if you do not have finance approved/available funds*   *No lowball offers*

Don't forget the unloved bride 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2000-porsche-911-gt3-996-manual/OAG-AD-18668204/?Cr=0

1 hour ago, wilson59 said:

Best way to own a car is not worry about the resale Rick . I don't think you will truly enjoy that car without tracking it and using it . 

Agreed, and thankfully I'm not there yet Paul..... the only things stopping me from driving it at the moment is this crap weather and work getting in the way of a good time.

I do have a few mates however with cars which have gone from being fun to drive, to being a stressful outing..... (mint A9X Torana and early Shelby Mustang). Of course,  I've suggested they sell them and get themselves into a GT Porsche.  

5 minutes ago, Rick V said:

Agreed, and thankfully I'm not there yet Paul..... the only things stopping me from driving it at the moment is this crap weather and work getting in the way of a good time.

I do have a few mates however with cars which have gone from being fun to drive, to being a stressful outing..... (mint A9X Torana and early Shelby Mustang). Of course,  I've suggested they sell them and get themselves into a GT Porsche.  

I am suffering from the same weather and difficult workload as well . Feeling your pain 

In pretty much any other marque you accept that a car will depreciate as this is typically what happens, some more so (and worse) than others. Lets say you buy a higher km GT3 or (heaven forbid) put some extra kms on your GT3 - yes it maybe worth slightly less if an exact car with lower kms was on the market at the same time but it will still be worth more than if you went out and spend the same $$$ on a new Benz (for example). 

Porsche has been very successful in bringing people to the brand via these cars being able to maintain a sold value throughout ownership. I see little (if any) point though in having a car that you don't drive because either you are too scared or cant afford to for worry of depreciation. 

No point in saving it for the next man. Enjoy them while you can. 

I agree normal depreciation is less than any typical new car and not worth worrying about, just enjoy it.  

The bigger issue is when the value of a particular model starts to escalate.   My GT2 tripled in value on paper (doubled in reality) during my ownership and while I was not complaining it did then play on my mind whenever I took it to the track. What it owed me didn’t change but the potential value was 2-3 times and beyond what I was prepared to put into the fence.  It does somewhat ruin the experience.   

Gordon Murray talks about a similar issue with McLaren F1 in the Collecting Cars podcast with Chris Harris. He wanted them all to be driven but now they are worth 20M+ no one is game enough to drive them.  He even sold his own car a few years ago.  He has the luxury of designing and building a new version though.....🤔

27 minutes ago, hugh said:

No point in saving it for the next man. Enjoy them while you can. 

I must be an idiot, cos I make them all better for the next man... sometimes I even get kicked in the nuts in the process! :lol: Other times I win... maybe when I kick the bucket they'll look back and say that guy was a net positive for the breed? 

1 hour ago, Rick V said:

They should, they're both big ticket items ATM.

All the marketing hype is been done.

A GT car should be driven as often as you can. When the maintenance bill comes along, then you will at least feel like you got value.

Dont preserve it for the next owner - it’s a waste of a great car and a whole load of fun.

I have no interest in selling mine, so I don’t worry about future values. If I want to track it, values shouldn’t matter - just drive within your capabilities 

My2 cents worth 

Just now, Jason A said:

A GT car should be driven as often as you can. When the maintenance bill comes along, then you will at least feel like you got value.

Dont preserve it for the next owner - it’s a waste of a great car and a whole load of fun.

I have no interest in selling mine, so I don’t worry about future values. If I want to track it, values shouldn’t matter - just drive within your capabilities 

My2 cents worth 

Absolutely.  I've still got a smile on my face from the 60+ laps I did of our local track a couple of weekends ago.  Based on last 6 mths usage I can see myself doing 6ish thousand kms pa, so on a 2000 car with 121000 kms on it, that's the average it has done.  And again, based on our obsession with low kms, my car will probably stay at the lower end of the GT3 value scale (which reflects the lower end price I paid when I bought it), but I'll be happy if the scale moves upwards. even at a slowish rate.  I figure that perhaps when I'm ready to give up driving a manual (9 or 10 years???), I might be able to swap it for a nice 5 or 6 year old 992.1 or 2 PDK Carrera .....

2 hours ago, Stephen Tinker said:

Maybe it's the perfect time to sell. 

There has only been a handful 996GT3's come and go on carsales over the last few months. There definitely appears to have been an upward push in price as well, and they have sold relatively fast. 

Right now as @Shedpest commented, there are slim pickings on market. Assuming there is some pent up demand, now would be the time to list whilst there are not many other choices for buyers. 

Maybe - but slim pickings or not, the interstate travelling problems are also real world too, and I would imagine that someone fortunate enough to be able spend (say) $150 - 160K on a luxury item like a GT3 kind of gets reduced somewhat with the current situation.  Before I bought my car back in early 2017, travelling from Brisbane to Melbourne to see / feel / drive the car in a single day was no problem whereas today its a completely different scenario.

So do you take advantage of the lower number of cars for sale in a difficult enviroment or do you sit on the car until the economy or health restrictions improve and (hopefully) prices increase with confidence.

The guy who sold his GT3 for +/- $120k at AH earlier this month obviously thought that waiting was not an option and paid the price of selling in the current financial predicament - his loss was possibly in the $20 - 25k over what he would have got 12 months ago. 

10 minutes ago, Stephen Tinker said:

I would imagine that someone fortunate enough to be able spend (say) $150 - 160K on a luxury item like a GT3 kind of gets reduced somewhat with the current situation. 

Expensive cars, especially Pcars (even at top end price range) are selling well - No Covid discount from what I have seen. 

20 minutes ago, Stephen Tinker said:

The guy who sold his GT3 for +/- $120k at AH earlier this month obviously thought that waiting was not an option and paid the price of selling in the current financial predicament - his loss was possibly in the $20 - 25k over what he would have got 12 months ago. 

Not certain, but I believe AH may have actually owned this stock. Either way, my opinion fwiw, is that around the $120k for that spec & kms was on the money.  An extra $20-25 would have made it too much now & even 12 months ago. 

Make your own choices, but if your colour and kms are desirable, I would have a crack now. 

22 minutes ago, Stephen Tinker said:

Maybe - but slim pickings or not, the interstate travelling problems are also real world too, and I would imagine that someone fortunate enough to be able spend (say) $150 - 160K on a luxury item like a GT3 kind of gets reduced somewhat with the current situation.  Before I bought my car back in early 2017, travelling from Brisbane to Melbourne to see / feel / drive the car in a single day was no problem whereas today its a completely different scenario.

So do you take advantage of the lower number of cars for sale in a difficult enviroment or do you sit on the car until the economy or health restrictions improve and (hopefully) prices increase with confidence.

Market is good for selling no matter what some dooms day prepper will tell you .I think the market is good now later maybe not . 

You would be surprised how many people will buy a car with a PPI and not having to see it .

I have done just that on my last three cars